Australian Tax & Law?

Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:17 am
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all
Post Australian Tax & Law?

Hi everyone, I'm a UK CIMA qualified with a 136 MODL app in the pipeline - I have a question for those further down the line than me.

I don't plan to study/convert to an Australian qualification when I get there but was interested in what I can do to brush up on the general tax and legal differences in advance of arriving in the country.

Any recommendations from other beancounters?
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:43 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Tax & Law?

Originally Posted by crawling
Hi everyone, I'm a UK CIMA qualified with a 136 MODL app in the pipeline - I have a question for those further down the line than me.

I don't plan to study/convert to an Australian qualification when I get there but was interested in what I can do to brush up on the general tax and legal differences in advance of arriving in the country.

Any recommendations from other beancounters?
Have a look at this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319572

Gina
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:30 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Thanks - very useful - any other basic texts/articles anyone can recommend?
Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Australian Tax & Law?

Hi

I don't think books are produced to the same scale on Tax and Law as in the UK.
My brother in law tried to find similar books for my hubby when he travelled last year and found nothing.
We will be out there by April/May time and will let you know what we find.

Cheers

AnitaB
Old Feb 7th 2006, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

DastardlynMutley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnitaB
Hi

My brother in law tried to find similar books for my hubby when he travelled last year and found nothing.

Cheers

AnitaB
My first post on this forum! Gina do you know if CIMA members can do those courses au University Queensland? It says only some oversea bodies. I've seen that Alan Collett did them and he is a member of ICAEW but wonder if they are still running those particular courses and are they sufficient to meet the Tax and Law brifginh course requirment. Should probably contact ICAA or the Uni but thought I'd check here first.
I'm a ACMA and hold an MSc in Accounting obtained after CIMA. I don't have an undergraduate degree anyone know if I would be exempt from 2 of the 5 ICAA courses (is this still the current exemption policy, CIMA werent very helpful when I asked the question) if I chose to do that?
Any CIMA members on the ground in Oz feel it is worth doing ICAA or CPA? And how hard are the exams? Any issues like time bars/able to do exams one at a time?
I'm currently not working is that an issue when submitting the asessment is it better to be working when sending off one's CV as part of the documentation or should I just extend my last role to cover it off?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a long way off, havent even got the Skills Assessment off to ICAA yet!
Thanks for any advice
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:57 am
No longer waiting....

Thanks AnitaB, That would be great - please post a follow up on this thread if you get a chance.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:09 pm
No longer waiting....

Originally Posted by DastardlynMutley
My first post on this forum! Gina do you know if CIMA members can do those courses au University Queensland? It says only some oversea bodies. I've seen that Alan Collett did them and he is a member of ICAEW but wonder if they are still running those particular courses and are they sufficient to meet the Tax and Law brifginh course requirment. Should probably contact ICAA or the Uni but thought I'd check here first.
I'm a ACMA and hold an MSc in Accounting obtained after CIMA. I don't have an undergraduate degree anyone know if I would be exempt from 2 of the 5 ICAA courses (is this still the current exemption policy, CIMA werent very helpful when I asked the question) if I chose to do that?
Any CIMA members on the ground in Oz feel it is worth doing ICAA or CPA? And how hard are the exams? Any issues like time bars/able to do exams one at a time?
I'm currently not working is that an issue when submitting the asessment is it better to be working when sending off one's CV as part of the documentation or should I just extend my last role to cover it off?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a long way off, havent even got the Skills Assessment off to ICAA yet!
Thanks for any advice
I don't think current employment status is relevant on the ICAA skills assessment.
Very relevant on the full app.

From http://www.icaa.org.au
Members of recognised overseas accounting bodies (i.e CIMA) - current members of these professional bodies will, in general, be assessed as suitable for migration purposes.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:25 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers

AnitaB
????? Of course they publish books on tax and law - tomes just like in the UK. Obviously not in your average High Street bookshop! We went to the Boffins Bookshop on Hay Street in Perth. Plenty of tax and law books there!

They also have a website: http://www.boffinsbookshop.com.au

Click on "business" down the left-hand side and browse away (lots of accounting options down the right-hand side after you've clicked on "business")

There is also a "law" section on the left-hand side (which then gives you "business law" and "taxation" on the right-hand side).

Gina

Last edited by GinaUK; Feb 14th 2006 at 9:33 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:57 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
????? Of course they publish books on tax and law - tomes just like in the UK. Obviously not in your average High Street bookshop! We went to the Boffins Bookshop on Hay Street in Perth. Plenty of tax and law books there!

They also have a website: http://www.boffinsbookshop.com.au

Click on "business" down the left-hand side and browse away (lots of accounting options down the right-hand side after you've clicked on "business")

There is also a "law" section on the left-hand side (which then gives you "business law" and "taxation" on the right-hand side).

Gina
Quite agree, went to the same store to get some law books (which I've not read yet ) though I had hoped the selection would be better. I'll check out that web address.

A few doors down (on Hay Street) there is another 'technical' bookshop.

You can buy books here: www.unibooks.com.au but the postage to the UK may be horrible.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:20 am
ABCDiamond

When I was working for a firm of CA in Sydney, the CCH books were our bibles

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough

Hi

I have been reading this thread. I am currently studying Australian tax law through the University of Queensland.

Having passed the assessment and put in for the visa I thought I would give myself a head start. It is hard going but just passed the first section exam and submitted 2nd Part.

heather
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:32 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve & Heather
Hi

I have been reading this thread. I am currently studying Australian tax law through the University of Queensland.

Having passed the assessment and put in for the visa I thought I would give myself a head start. It is hard going but just passed the first section exam and submitted 2nd Part.

heather
Hi Heather

My hubby has just enrolled for the next course which starts in July at Uni of Queensland, so please keep us posted on how you're getting on - and I'll get him to PM you if he's struggling with any of it!!!! It's going to be hard going for him studying again with a full-time job and 3 kids in the house!!

Good Luck with it

Jane