Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Australia work experience requirement?

Australia work experience requirement?

Old May 13th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Luke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant future
Default Australia work experience requirement?

I've been working as a part qualified accountant in the UK for over 5 years now (taking me a while to get though all my cima exams). I'll hopefully be qualifying at the end of this year, and then the plan is to migrate to Sydney.

My question is regarding the work experience requirements. To get up to 120 points I'll need to get the 10 points for work experience. The website says:

"you have worked in your nominated occupation, or a closely related 60 point occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), for at least three (3) of the four (4) years immediately before you apply."

However, does this mean post qualification. Ie, once I've passed CIMA do I need to work for another 3 years? or does my pre qualification experience count? If I have to work another 3 years then I loose 5 points due to my age so back down to 115 points!
Old May 13th 2007, 3:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia work experience requirement?

Originally Posted by Luke Brown
However, does this mean post qualification. Ie, once I've passed CIMA do I need to work for another 3 years? or does my pre qualification experience count? If I have to work another 3 years then I loose 5 points due to my age so back down to 115 points!
Pre-qualification experience may not count. Depends on how long you have been working, the skill/pay level, and whether you have got a university degree?

It's a complex area, so get professional assistance. Also bear in mind new rules from September, for example, work experience will be needed for MODL points.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:50 am
gak
Forum Regular

gak is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been working as a part qualified accountant in the UK for over 5 years now (taking me a while to get though all my cima exams). I'll hopefully be qualifying at the end of this year, and then the plan is to migrate to Sydney.

My question is regarding the work experience requirements. To get up to 120 points I'll need to get the 10 points for work experience. The website says:

"you have worked in your nominated occupation, or a closely related 60 point occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), for at least three (3) of the four (4) years immediately before you apply."

The only requirement is that you should have worked as an accountant in the preceding 4 years. As long as you can demonstrate that you have such experience in the filed of accounts, you will meet the criteria. It does not matter whether you have gained the experience before you became a member or later. Normally, part time work experience is not recognized for this purpose.
Old May 15th 2007, 2:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gak
The only requirement is that you should have worked as an accountant in the preceding 4 years. As long as you can demonstrate that you have such experience in the filed of accounts, you will meet the criteria. It does not matter whether you have gained the experience before you became a member or later.
It often does matter, sorry.

And working in the "field of accounts" is not enough - bookkeeper is not a skilled occupation, for example.

Normally, part time work experience is not recognized for this purpose.
If over 20 hours a week, it does count.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Luke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant futureLuke Brown has a brilliant future

yes this is the problem... I speak to different people and keeping getting different answers. One qualified I know I'll be able to pass the skills assesment but the question relates to the 10 extra points you get relating to work experience. Any idea who best to contact to get an official response?

I have a degree, but it's in engineering not accounting. My role for the last 5 years has been "assistant accountant" but not sure if this will count or not? It's certainly more skilled than a bookeeper but not as skilled as a qualified management accountant.
Old May 15th 2007, 11:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

yes this is the problem... I speak to different people and keeping getting different answers. One qualified I know I'll be able to pass the skills assesment but the question relates to the 10 extra points you get relating to work experience. Any idea who best to contact to get an official response?

I have a degree, but it's in engineering not accounting. My role for the last 5 years has been "assistant accountant" but not sure if this will count or not? It's certainly more skilled than a bookeeper but not as skilled as a qualified management accountant.
Who have you been asking? You need to find an agent who really understands this area - most agents don't. So if you just ask around you'll let lots of different answers over the phone and just end up more confused.

Find an agent who understands the distinction between skill level per the ASCO and the requirements of skill assessing authorites. Your engineering degree might help in terms of persuading DIAC that you meet the skill level.

If your engineering degree is accredited under the Washington or Sydney Accord, you could even investigate getting a skill assessment from IEAUST immediately, rather than waiting to get one from ICAA/NIA. Depends if you meet the points test that way.

One good agent you could try is George Lombard in Sydney. Ask for recommendations on the immigration forum.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:09 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Luke,

I can only give you our very recent experience in this field but its by no means meant to be professional advice.

My OH doesn't have a degree he has been working in the role of part qualified accountant for many years now. He finally passed all his ACCA exams (again may be different to CIMA) in June of last year. He joined ACCA as a professional member and in August applied to NIA He got his skills recognised in October. We decided to apply for 136 visa in january of this year.

He used his experience as part qualified to help fill the 3 years requirement so this is possible as long as you detail all your duties and have a valid reference from your boss.

We sent the application to DIMIA on 17th jan and visas were granted exactly 3 months later on 17th April! Without frontloading or using an agent! From what you say in your post your circumstances are similar to my OH's so you should be OK.

Though I'm not sure what the new rules from September entail you may need to look into them in more detail.

Good Luck

Andreaxx
Old May 17th 2007, 6:23 am
gak
Forum Regular

Even for a CIMA membership, you can get your membership based on the experience gained before you passed the final examination. So the criteria is not whether you have such experience before you qualify or after you qualify.
But you should be in a position to substantiate your work experience as an accountant.

GAK
Old May 18th 2007, 5:05 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by gak
Even for a CIMA membership, you can get your membership based on the experience gained before you passed the final examination. So the criteria is not whether you have such experience before you qualify or after you qualify.
But you should be in a position to substantiate your work experience as an accountant.
Australian immigration are not necessarily going to apply the same rules as CIMA.
Old May 18th 2007, 5:25 am
gak
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australian immigration are not necessarily going to apply the same rules as CIMA.
The rules do not speak of post qualification experience. It only speaks about experience. If they require post qualification experience, they should have mentioned in so many words.

In any case, I suggest, to contact immigration authorities by telephone. Getting them on telephone is difficult, normally you will have to wait on telphone for about 30 minutes, but they do clarify such doubts. It will be much cheaper to get the clarification directly than approaching a consultant.

GAK
Old May 18th 2007, 12:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by gak
The rules do not speak of post qualification experience. It only speaks about experience. If they require post qualification experience, they should have mentioned in so many words.
The rules are not clear cut but the bottom line is that pre-qualification experience is only acceptable in certain circumstances.

In any case, I suggest, to contact immigration authorities by telephone. Getting them on telephone is difficult, normally you will have to wait on telphone for about 30 minutes, but they do clarify such doubts. It will be much cheaper to get the clarification directly than approaching a consultant.
Good luck to you. Advice on the immigration helpline is often incomplete, misunderstood or just plain wrong.

Ringing consultants and expecting an answer over the phone to this kind of question just isn't going to produce results, sorry. This is the kind of case that needs professional assistance to minimise refusal risk.