Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa - accountant

Working holiday visa - accountant

Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Tree_26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working holiday visa - accountant

Hello,

I wonder if anybody can help or advise me.

I am a qualified (ACCA) accountant and have 7 years experience. My husband and I have been thinking about moving to Australia but are wary of making the full move (I assume via a skilled 136 visa) without ‘testing the water’ so to speak.

We were therefore wondering if it could be an option for me to apply for a working holiday visa and to work for say 3 months in Brisbane before deciding for sure. As my husband is 33, I understand he would not be eligible to do this?
Would he just have to apply for the usual tourist visa (in which case his stay could not exceed 3 months?)

Will such a situation be allowable?
(We will be bringing suffiocient funds to support ourselves)

Thanks in advance,

Tree
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working holiday visa - accountant

Originally Posted by Tree_26
Hello,

I wonder if anybody can help or advise me.

I am a qualified (ACCA) accountant and have 7 years experience. My husband and I have been thinking about moving to Australia but are wary of making the full move (I assume via a skilled 136 visa) without ‘testing the water’ so to speak.
If you just want to "test the water" then you can still do that on a 136 visa. Do the maths and you'll find that the cost of the visa is minimal compared to the overall cost involved.

And no-one is going to force you to sell house in the UK etc.

If you really want to have a look-see, why not take a holiday in Australia before you set the process in motion?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We've been over a couple of times but are aware that having a good time on holiday is very different to living there.

I thought that costs for a 136 were approx $2,000, and could take a number of months to go through, whereas a working holiday visa will cost closer to $200.

Just out of interest - do you think there may be any issues with just the one of us working there?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We've been over a couple of times but are aware that having a good time on holiday is very different to living there.

I thought that costs for a 136 were approx $2,000, and could take a number of months to go through, whereas a working holiday visa will cost closer to $200.
You need to think a little harder about the issues, with respect. It is true that a 136 visa is more expensive, but you should do the comparison with respect to the total cost of the trip.

Secondly, you need to understand that many working holiday visa holders can only obtain casual (ie non-skilled) employment. As a result, if you take this option you may render yourself ineligible for 136 without clocking up some new work experience in the UK from scratch. The focus is very strong on recent skilled work experience.

And being on a working holiday is still a holiday. It can't really be compared to building a new life and career in Australia.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

OK, thank you for your reply,

One further question – with regards skills assessment, which authority should I go through for ICAA or NIA?

I do not have a university degree but am ACCA qualified.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:42 am
JAJ
Retired

One further question – with regards skills assessment, which authority should I go through for ICAA or NIA?

I do not have a university degree but am ACCA qualified.
Either ICAA or NIA will accept full membership of ACCA (obtained by examination).

Are you planning to become an Australian CA (which will help your career long term)? If so, then all things being equal, you should apply to ICAA, unless processing times are much different.

You would also be advised to plan to obtain a university degree over the medium term as this is the norm for professionals in Australia. ACCA is considered (for some purposes) as equivalent to a university degree, so you should be able to get 2 years credit against a 3 year bachelors degree. Distance learning is offered by some universities.