Which Aussie City?

Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:14 am
clk
Just Joined

clk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Aussie City?

Made an Aussie PR recently and have not decided where to move to, possibly either Melbourne,Sydney or Perth. Both my wife and I are accountants with 2 small kids.

Appreciate some frank advice on job opportunities for accountants, primary schooling, homes, community etc...

Thinking of moving end-2008.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:04 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which Aussie City?

Originally Posted by clk
Made an Aussie PR recently and have not decided where to move to, possibly either Melbourne,Sydney or Perth. Both my wife and I are accountants with 2 small kids.

Appreciate some frank advice on job opportunities for accountants, primary schooling, homes, community etc...

Thanks
I'm in Perth and so far I've been offered every job I've been for. Helps that my experience is in Mineral/mining companies but if you're a good accountant with good experience you'll be ok.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:49 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clk

Thanks
Also in Perth, loving it and doing very well. What is your background / preference in both work and lifestyle?

There isn't so much financial services here as the other two but plenty of public sector, mining, engineering etc.

Perth is a completely different lifestyle to the other two, especially Sydney. If you like it hectic Perth won't be for you. But if you want somewhere with just enough going on, more time to breathe and a better place to raise kids Perth is the best IMHO.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:21 am
clk
Just Joined

clk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
Also in Perth, loving it and doing very well. What is your background / preference in both work and lifestyle?

There isn't so much financial services here as the other two but plenty of public sector, mining, engineering etc.

Perth is a completely different lifestyle to the other two, especially Sydney. If you like it hectic Perth won't be for you. But if you want somewhere with just enough going on, more time to breathe and a better place to raise kids Perth is the best IMHO.
Thanks to those from Perth.

I'm in the corporate world, no longer financial services. Currently working for a health-supplements company. I've 17 yrs experience in fin services, hospitality, manufacturing and trading. The missing link is mining which is what WA is actively involved with.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:29 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clk
Thanks to those from Perth.

I'm in the corporate world, no longer financial services. Currently working for a health-supplements company. I've 17 yrs experience in fin services, hospitality, manufacturing and trading. The missing link is mining which is what WA is actively involved with.
I had no mining experience before I came to Perth but now work for Rio Tinto and am responsible for the business plan of a whole division so need to understand what happens across the whole business. I had a bit of experience in construction projects / SAP which was more than useful / enough to get on the ladder here. I have a mate who came over with a background in re-insurance (I think) who walked into a job with Rio and moved up after only a few months too so it is not really an issue. If you are not too proud to take a step down temporarily it will work out well in my experience.

Some of that other stuff you have done is relevant too. You don't have to work directly in mining. Companies like Nomad manufacture "dongas" (portakabin living accommodation) for the mining companies, Compass group to site food / cleaning...
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:21 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clk

Thanks
You never put Brissy down, but thought I'd post anyway as you never know things change.

My OH worked in corporate back in the UK he went for job interviews with companies from PWC, Suncorp, mining, insurance etc etc... he got offered every job and once he had a job the agents he was in touch with were still phoning him with job offers and other interviews I guess thats why accountant is on the MODL

Best advice would be to register with agents such as Hays and Robert ?? (can't remember) and others in the local area.

We love the Goldcoast and being close to the beaches, and the fact OH really likes his new job is a huge bonus.

Good Luck with it all

Axx