Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" report

Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" report

Old May 13th 2006, 8:04 am
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all
Default Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" report

There was a news thread earlier in the week about the independent evaluation of the general skilled migration categories:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372583

Press Release "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" from Minister Vanstone's website:
http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/medi...a06/v06107.htm

Direct link to the report:
http://www.immi.gov.au/research/publ...GSM_Report.pdf

Couple of Accountant specific points:

P19:
Table 1.4 Number of approved 136 visas granted under each SOL heading (Occupation)
2004/05: 2,136 Accountants

P25:

Since accounting was reinstated on the MODL in September 2004 those with accounting qualifications were virtually assured permanent residence if they applied. (Accounting was removed from the MODL in September 2002)

Don't know the answer myself but how long can Accountant stay on the MODL at this high rate of applicants? Only IT has more.
Old May 13th 2006, 5:51 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" report

Originally Posted by crawling
There was a news thread earlier in the week about the independent evaluation of the general skilled migration categories:

Press Release "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" from Minister Vanstone's website:

P19:
Table 1.4 Number of approved 136 visas granted under each SOL heading (Occupation)

P25:

Since accounting was reinstated on the MODL in September 2004 those with accounting qualifications were virtually assured permanent residence if they applied. (Accounting was removed from the MODL in September 2002)

Don't know the answer myself but how long can Accountant stay on the MODL at this high rate of applicants? Only IT has more.

Yes I wonder! Have you looked at the austimeline recently Crawling? The skills assessments are taking 2 months or more - must be lots of accountants out there applying!

Good news you having a CO now and meds requested - can't be long now!!!

Jane
Old May 14th 2006, 10:42 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all
Default Re: Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" repor

Originally Posted by PJA
Yes I wonder! Have you looked at the austimeline recently Crawling? The skills assessments are taking 2 months or more - must be lots of accountants out there applying!

Good news you having a CO now and meds requested - can't be long now!!!

Jane
Wow - wasn't aware of that...! I did mine with ICAA in April 2005 and it took 15 days including the airmail postage time to Oz.... 2 months, yikes!
Old May 27th 2006, 10:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" repor

Most of these "accountant" applicants are actually Australian graduates with business degrees majoring in accoutancy. I think one of the comments also made in the report was that MODL points should require work experience in the nominated occupation, that's not the case now unless the skill assessing body requires it.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:43 am
No longer waiting....

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most of these "accountant" applicants are actually Australian graduates with business degrees majoring in accoutancy. I think one of the comments also made in the report was that MODL points should require work experience in the nominated occupation, that's not the case now unless the skill assessing body requires it.
Thanks - interesting point - I was begining to wonder if finding a job would be an issue with this huge accountant surplus! I think the experience comment makes good sense too. Nothing to fear for "proper" accountants.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:56 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - interesting point - I was begining to wonder if finding a job would be an issue with this huge accountant surplus! I think the experience comment makes good sense too. Nothing to fear for "proper" accountants.
The need is to bring "experience" relevant to the local/regional market. Some have come and have been out of work for 4 months. Others 2 days.

Sitting in the same job for 10 years does not equate to necessarily more "quality" experience than 3 or 5 years of "hard graft".
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:45 pm
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Accountancy comment in "Evaluation of General Skilled Migration Categories" report

P19:

P25:

How long was it on modl before Sept 02?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:41 pm
No longer waiting....

Originally Posted by foopsy
How long was it on modl before Sept 02?
No idea - sorry!