Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

24yr old, CIMA qualified thinking about Oz

24yr old, CIMA qualified thinking about Oz

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

IanMitch83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 24yr old, CIMA qualified thinking about Oz

Hi all,

Have been reading all the comments here with a lot of interest, this is clearly a very useful site with lots of info. I've been thinking about working abroad for a few months now and Oz is somewhere that very much interests me.

I've been working at Ford Motor Company straight from A-levels (7 yrs) and have completed CIMA (2 yrs ago) and have had the career profile accepted. From the below threads I can see that CIMA is a good start to getting a VISA for Oz and i'm more than willing to do the australian CA or CPA qualifications. How much is the fact that I don't have a degree going to effect my VISA application chances? I don't have any relatives in Oz so no extra points there! obviously having a degree is going to look better than not having one but is it critical?

Thanks

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24yr old, CIMA qualified thinking about Oz

Originally Posted by IanMitch83
Hi all,

Have been reading all the comments here with a lot of interest, this is clearly a very useful site with lots of info. I've been thinking about working abroad for a few months now and Oz is somewhere that very much interests me.

I've been working at Ford Motor Company straight from A-levels (7 yrs) and have completed CIMA (2 yrs ago) and have had the career profile accepted. From the below threads I can see that CIMA is a good start to getting a VISA for Oz and i'm more than willing to do the australian CA or CPA qualifications. How much is the fact that I don't have a degree going to effect my VISA application chances? I don't have any relatives in Oz so no extra points there! obviously having a degree is going to look better than not having one but is it critical?
Not having a degree won't stop you getting a skill assessment from ICAA or NIA, once you are fully qualified with CIMA.

However, you may find that DIAC do not accept your pre-qualification experience as skilled. You will need to ask on the Australia immigration forum and you should expect to need professional assistance.

Long term you should plan to get your Australian CA, for good career options in Australia. It also wouldn't hurt to get a university degree. Open University gives good credits in the U.K., in Australia maybe look to see what credits you could get against a BCom degree from the University of New England (distance learning).
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

Hi Ian
being CIMA qualified is acceptable for a visa, as i am cima qualified and received my visa in Jan, you will just need to ensure you have enough post qualified experience to meet the requirements for the points you need, but as you are only 24 the points for your age should be enough to cover the number of years experience, and if you need more points you could always do the Eltes test.
You should also check that under the ASCO code you will be applying under you have the relevant experience required.
If in any doubt speak to an agent.
Cheers
Sue
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

asadkhalid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue McK
...you will just need to ensure you have enough post qualified experience to meet the requirements for the points you need, but as you are only 24 the points for your age should be enough to cover the number of years experience, and if you need more points you could always do the Eltes test.
One question here.. the post qualification experience is required for Specific Work Experience i.e to get more points or is it necessary to fulfill the basic work experience requirement that is of 12 months?

Asad
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asadkhalid
One question here.. the post qualification experience is required for Specific Work Experience i.e to get more points or is it necessary to fulfill the basic work experience requirement that is of 12 months?

Asad

Asked and answered elsewhere:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526321

Why not contact Alan Collett for professional assistance?
Old May 5th 2008, 2:08 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IanMitch83
Hi all,

Thanks

Ian
I'm sorry but I'm just a little curious here. If you are 24 yrs old, then you are still young. Why do you prefer to come to OZ instead of trying for the US?
Old May 14th 2008, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
I'm sorry but I'm just a little curious here. If you are 24 yrs old, then you are still young. Why do you prefer to come to OZ instead of trying for the US?
Maybe because it's so much harder to get permanent residence in the United States?
Old May 14th 2008, 4:41 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe because it's so much harder to get permanent residence in the United States?
You are right Jeremy. Its not easy to get a PR in the US. Typically, a person who wishes to work in the US will require a job offer as well as a H1B sponsorship by his prospective employer and contrary to what some might think, to be honest, unless your skills are unique and are desperately in demand, 99% of them would not want to sponsor you. Even if someone sponsors you, it would not be easy for you to switch jobs while on H1B. You can do it but you've got to ensure that your next employer sponsors you as well. You'll have to wait anywhere from 5-7 years to get a PR and a further 5 years++ to get citizenship. During this period of 5-7 years, your employer can exploit you knowing that it would not be easy for you to switch jobs. If you get to work in a good company, then there's nothing to worry about but if your employer happens to be nasty, then it would be a problem for you. Furthermore, job security is zero. You can lose your job anytime there and if you do lose our job while on H1B and could not get another employer to sponsor you before your visa expires, you'll have no choice but to leave the country.

The best way to go would be to go there for higher studies and try to secure a job once you have finished your course. Of course, working for an MNC and asking for a transfer if the company has got an office in the US or going through good contacts if one has any are other options which are available to the privileged few. There are citizens of some countries like Canada, Singapore and Australia who may go on a TN or H1B1 non migrant visa, put up a good performance and after that persuade their employers to apply for a H1B visa for them.
The US might not be suitable for someone who’s migrating in his late 30s and 40s who’s got a family of a wife and 2 kids. Such kind of people will be better off applying to Australia, Canada or NZ. Taking into account that this guy is only 24 yrs old and still very young, he could consider the US as he still has time. That's where I’m coming from.