Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old May 12th 2005, 3:02 am
ImHere

Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
No, no, no! You've got it all wrong. It ain't tolerance and progressiveness - it's called being a liberal

Remember, liberals all go to hell! :scared:

Doh not again....hang on while i say 200 times "All Liberals must go to hell"

Old May 12th 2005, 4:19 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ImHere
How shallow and intolerant I think that should be. Once again this kind of thing just proves to me how much of a disparity there is between UK society and US society when it comes to tolerance and progressiveness.
I make this amazing prawn dish, recipe courtsey of one of the former Portuguese colonies in Africa, that is amazingly good, but includes beer in it.

A friend's mother went to her fridge whilst I was making it at the friend's house and she nearly had a fit that there was the 'devil's brew' sitting in the fridge! :scared:
Old May 12th 2005, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
I make this amazing prawn dish, recipe courtsey of one of the former Portuguese colonies in Africa, that is amazingly good, but includes beer in it.

A friend's mother went to her fridge whilst I was making it at the friend's house and she nearly had a fit that there was the 'devil's brew' sitting in the fridge! :scared:

what? you used Bud Light?
Old May 12th 2005, 5:29 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nxylas
"Yes, but he told me not to tell you where he was". A friend of mine came up with that one...he later went on to become a vicar. Funny old world, innit?
There's also:

"He's the least likely soul to be lost!"
Old May 12th 2005, 1:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear

I hope you posted the recipe on the what's for tea thread

Clearly my special (i.e. soaked) BBQ ribs wouldn't go down well in the bible belt either... Ah well, their loss
Old May 12th 2005, 4:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I've been out working in my yard a few times when white buses rep. XXX church have pull up and asked me if I am 'saved'

this is always good for a chuckle, especially when they see my manual labour is being assisted with the 'devil's brew' AKA a 32 of miller shite

after getting over the fact that I am not actually from australia they nearly pass out in shock when i tell them I am atheist (most of the time they don;t know what agnostic means)

hilarious
Old May 12th 2005, 5:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
after getting over the fact that I am not actually from australia they nearly pass out in shock when i tell them I am atheist (most of the time they don;t know what agnostic means)
Perhaps you should have little cards printed up with the explanation, to hand them when they offer to hand you something?
Old May 12th 2005, 6:00 pm
Lapine Member

Default FAO rincewind

http://www.cafepress.com/turn_left

will get you links to some "religious left" merch.
Old May 12th 2005, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I keep a league table of religions/churches that try to solicit my.... religion (?)

So far it looks like this:

Jehovah's Witnesses - 3pts
Church of Utah - 2pts
Church of Ohio - 1pt

I'm thinking of joining whichever offers the most pints at the end of the year.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:46 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that I need milk to make the fondue tonight but, because my husband has the car and won't be back until about 8.30pm we're going to have to eat late.

Why do I need a sodding car just to get some bleeding milk?! Why can't we have a little corner shop just up the road?
Old May 12th 2005, 9:12 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Why do I need a sodding car just to get some bleeding milk?! Why can't we have a little corner shop just up the road?
I know, I know. I wish for that as well.
Old May 12th 2005, 9:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that I need milk to make the fondue tonight but, because my husband has the car and won't be back until about 8.30pm we're going to have to eat late.

what kind of fondue to you make with milk?

I make mine with wine and cheese...
Old May 12th 2005, 10:02 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe chocolate fondue?

I honestly have no idea
Old May 12th 2005, 10:11 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

It's a salmon one - haven't tried the recipe before (had a gorgeous one the other week with bacon, shallots, wine and cheese) so I'll let you know how it goes!

Incidentally - it has wine in it too. Wouldn't make it otherwise!
Old May 12th 2005, 11:24 pm
Homebody

It's a salmon one - haven't tried the recipe before (had a gorgeous one the other week with bacon, shallots, wine and cheese) so I'll let you know how it goes!

Incidentally - it has wine in it too. Wouldn't make it otherwise!
Sounds... interesting! Where do you get the recipes?

[Our fondue set is one of the things that stayed behind. Been wondering whether it's worth getting a new one - wouldn't bother though just for the cheesy one though ]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.