Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hmm Curly Wurly and Dr Who - sounds like heaven! I watched Dr Who aswell, I didn't like Billie much at first but she's kinda growing on me now.

yeah i agree think billie is fitting in quite well...i'm surprised but well done to her
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:31 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
The imported piccalilli they sell in my local store has a warning label on indicating something to the effect that the animals it was tested on developed cancer .

It used to say that on Sweet n Low. I worked as a waitress for a while and would refill the sugar and sweet n low containers on the tables at the end of the day. Noticed the little packets of SnL had the warning on them that they had caused cancer in lab rats.
The next week we got a new box of sweet n low packets in and the warning had gone from the packets. Wonder how much they paid to have that removed?
A guy here at work started getting double vision and massive headaches, then losing his vision altogether - after a series of MRI scans and Dr visits they determined he had aspartame poisoning from drinking too much diet iced tea!! The guy thought he was going blind! :scared:
Those 'diet' products really aren't worth it.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It used to say that on Sweet n Low. I worked as a waitress for a while and would refill the sugar and sweet n low containers on the tables at the end of the day. Noticed the little packets of SnL had the warning on them that they had caused cancer in lab rats.
The next week we got a new box of sweet n low packets in and the warning had gone from the packets. Wonder how much they paid to have that removed?
A guy here at work started getting double vision and massive headaches, then losing his vision altogether - after a series of MRI scans and Dr visits they determined he had aspartame poisoning from drinking too much diet iced tea!! The guy thought he was going blind! :scared:
I think the cancer scare was linked to saccharin which was then replaced by aspartame as a low/none calorie alternative to sugar.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

big time, and same for restaurants...what they take out, they have to put something else in like salt usually...
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the cancer scare was linked to saccharin which was then replaced by aspartame as a low/none calorie alternative to sugar.
and aspartame is suppossed to be even worse for you .. :scared:
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:49 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
and aspartame is suppossed to be even worse for you .. :scared:
Me, who previously never had an allergy or bad response to anything, had a bad reaction when I downed a few cans of diet drink. Recovered (but didn't make any connection), and about two weeks later downed a few more cans of diet drink (was in an office on a top floor under a tarred roof and it was very hot, so was drinking a lot of cold drinks). Tried a few diet drinks and boy was I ill. Stopped drinking them and was fine a day later. It seems to impact on my heart rate and caused lots of pins and needles, and a blinding headache. I never figured I would be someone who would be vulnerable to a diet drink, but oh boy was I wrong.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by User Name
Me, who previously never had an allergy or bad response to anything, had a bad reaction when I downed a few cans of diet drink. Recovered (but didn't make any connection), and about two weeks later downed a few more cans of diet drink (was in an office on a top floor under a tarred roof and it was very hot, so was drinking a lot of cold drinks). Tried a few diet drinks and boy was I ill. Stopped drinking them and was fine a day later. It seems to impact on my heart rate and caused lots of pins and needles, and a blinding headache. I never figured I would be someone who would be vulnerable to a diet drink, but oh boy was I wrong.
http://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/aspartame.html

scary stuff
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
I am reading about the baked beans etc. I was at the west side market on Tuesday who have so much from the UK, it is bad for me to shop there I got branston pickle and English cheese, picalilli, mint sauce Heinz beans, marmalade, PG Tips, Yorkshire Gold, pickled onions and tons of other things, all good but the aero bars and crunchies were at the register!!!!!! They had all the other choccy bars too but I got 2 aero and 2 crunchie They were just stacking the shelves with those big choccy Easter eggs, Cadbury's and all the ones I remember, I grabbed my bags and ran before I could be temped to buy one, for old time's sake of course
I can recommend Lowes Foods here for Italian cheese and garlic. I am putting pictures of their very reasonable prices on the Members' Photo Gallery and I strongly recommend everyone to look at them.

And when you have seen them you will know why I got all the deli staff VERY confused when I asked about Euros!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:17 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
*nods* I sort of was aware of the bad publicity over this compound and so previously had consciously avoided any product with aspartame.

Scared me to the extent I asked another lawyer to drive me to the nearest A&E, a place I have visited since ... hmmmm ... years ago. Even with medical "cover" (80% cover with an initial $1,000 down to me) cost me quite a bit. Had an ECG, NMR (MRI) of my head and neck, and the other usual stuff. They couldn't find anything. Once the same symptoms re-occurred when I drank a few more left over diet drinks in my office, I made the connection. Cost me some to make the connection, but at least my heart and brain were fine, but cost me some $$$$ at a time when I was not earning a salary.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Polaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of light

My biggest pet peeve with living in the USofA is when people come here for whatever reason, and then try and make the USA the same as the place they just left. It defies all logic.

It would be like me moving out of my house because I don't like the color, and then painting my new house the same color as my old house. <rolls eyes>
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polaris_x
My biggest pet peeve with living in the USofA is when people come here for whatever reason, and then try and make the USA the same as the place they just left. It defies all logic.

It would be like me moving out of my house because I don't like the color, and then painting my new house the same color as my old house. <rolls eyes>
FFS.... stop trying to be so logical ......
Old Apr 4th 2006, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Where are you from? I just wondered if you'd ever lived in another country.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Polaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of lightPolaris_x is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Where are you from? I just wondered if you'd ever lived in another country.
Irrelevant. If I move to France, should I complain that people speak French, or should I learn French? If I move to England, should I complain about the late night currys and lack of Taco Bell fast food places, or should I eat the curry and embrace the culture? After all, I'd be CHOOSING to live there. Nobody would have me chained to a table.
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:03 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

. If I move to France, should I complain that people speak French, or should I learn French? .
guess this brings me to my pet peeve of living in the usa.....being in this english speaking country and being surrounded by foreigners mainly mexicans that speak zero english
Old Apr 4th 2006, 3:04 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Irrelevant. If I move to France, should I complain that people speak French, or should I learn French? If I move to England, should I complain about the late night currys and lack of Taco Bell fast food places, or should I eat the curry and embrace the culture? After all, I'd be CHOOSING to live there. Nobody would have me chained to a table.
Not everyone makes a FREE CHOICE as to where they live and there's nothing wrong with whinging about your new home.
That said immigrants should try to fit in as best they can. Trying to change things they don't agree with in their new home is fine - trying to change it just because it isn't the same as their old home is just plain daft.

Immigrants need to integrate - not assimilate.

Oh, and you are clearly a yank and that fact is not irrelevant to the conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.