Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Franklin
Apartment buildings that get bent out of shape if you do some emergency light repair work on your motor car.

Redneck control measures!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:27 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sibsie
My pet peeve. They'll start a new season of a TV show, then in the middle of it, flip back to and old one so you don't know what the hell's going on. Then after that they seem to alternate between new show, old show. WTF!!!

Sheesh! Thank God for that.....I thought it was just me!! I was so confused sometimes!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

The lack of convenient grocery items, I mean America is the land of convenience isn't it? So why oh why have manufacturers not caught onto the idea of instant gravy granules, orange squash, custard powder, cup-a-soups......Surely they MUST know these things exist in other countries. Actually, I was told that some of these things have been tried, but they don't sell, so they take them off the market again pretty quick. Seems that a lot of Americans are suspicious of anything new....

Stop signs. I loathe, hate, detest them with all my heart.

Cat declawing, 'indoor' cats, Ear cropping, tail docking, debarking, buying multiple dogs to keep as 'guard dogs' and leaving them chained outside in the yard in all weathers (in our neighbourhood around 85% of the houses have at least one dog, and about 80% of those houses keep their dogs outside at least all day, and it's one of the safest neighbourhoods I've ever lived in!). Puppy mills, disposable pets (you know, the ones you buy because cockerpoos are all the fashion, then you dump it at the animal shelter when it becomes cooler to have a rottie instead), Pet stores that sell dogs & cats........

Circumcision (I wonder if that's why British gentlemen are always getting chatted up over here, I'm sure it's not just because of their accent, I think American women are 'curious'.....)

My list could go on and on....

Paint.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paint
The lack of convenient grocery items, I mean America is the land of convenience isn't it? So why oh why have manufacturers not caught onto the idea of instant gravy granules, orange squash, custard powder, cup-a-soups......Surely they MUST know these things exist in other countries. Actually, I was told that some of these things have been tried, but they don't sell, so they take them off the market again pretty quick. Seems that a lot of Americans are suspicious of anything new....
Why should American grocery stores routinely stock items that Brits like? If Americans don't like them or there are American equivalents, it make no economic sense to stock them, right?

Same as why British grocery stores don't stock the same kinds of milk as found in the US and why cinammon flavored <insert name of foodstuff> is rarely found in the UK, whereas this flavor is commonplace in the US.

Why? Better to have stop signs than nothing at all! Maybe your gripe is about drivers who don't use the Stop signs correctly.

<<snip>>

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Why? Better to have stop signs than nothing at all!
Roundabouts?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:27 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Cat declawing, 'indoor' cats, Ear cropping, tail docking, debarking, buying multiple dogs to keep as 'guard dogs' and leaving them chained outside in the yard in all weathers (in our neighbourhood around 85% of the houses have at least one dog, and about 80% of those houses keep their dogs outside at least all day, and it's one of the safest neighbourhoods I've ever lived in!). Puppy mills, disposable pets (you know, the ones you buy because cockerpoos are all the fashion, then you dump it at the animal shelter when it becomes cooler to have a rottie instead), Pet stores that sell dogs & cats........

Circumcision (I wonder if that's why British gentlemen are always getting chatted up over here, I'm sure it's not just because of their accent, I think American women are 'curious'.....)

My list could go on and on....

Paint.

You wouldn't happen to be a member of PETA would you?

People Eating Tasty Animals.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:28 pm

Same as why British grocery stores don't stock the same kinds of milk as found in the US and why cinammon flavored <insert name of foodstuff> is rarely found in the UK, whereas this flavor is commonplace in the US.

NC Penguin
Or Grape flavoured.....YUK!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:41 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Paint.
On a similar theme, performing animals at the Circus. Why oh why are they still being used?
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
On a similar theme, performing animals at the Circus. Why oh why are they still being used?
I noticed that on CSI lastnight and thought it was really weird that, and the missus didn't get it, didn't even know that the US is about the only place that still does it...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Roundabouts?
Two reasons why there are so few roundabouts in the US:

1) cost of constructing a roundabout is far greater than Stop signs

2) the average American probably couldn't cope with the mental tasks involved in getting round and out of a roundabout...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Better to have stop signs than nothing at all! Maybe your gripe is about drivers who don't use the Stop signs correctly.
NC Penguin
The main deal with Stop signs is that you have to actually stop even though there is no traffic on the highway. It drives me crazy to.

Sure miss the "Give Way" signs. Nothing coming?? Floor it!!!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Bob
I noticed that on CSI lastnight and thought it was really weird that, and the missus didn't get it, didn't even know that the US is about the only place that still does it...
Remember seeing that the circus was in town in Norfolk, VA in 2002 and you know who was there protesting against the exploitation of animals?

PETA were there but then they are headquartered in Norfolk, I believe...

Don't think I ever went to a circus when I was a child. Did visit zoos but I'm sure I never saw performing animals even there.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by rincewind
The main deal with Stop signs is that you have to actually stop even though there is no traffic on the highway. It drives me crazy to.

Isn't a British "Give Way" sign equivalent to an American "Yield" sign?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:44 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by rincewind

Just remember you're doing it for the freakin' lawyers!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:00 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't a British "Give Way" sign equivalent to an American "Yield" sign?

NC Penguin
Sort of. The Give Way sign usually comes with the two staggered white lines on the road at the junction. One line is to remind you to look for pedestrians and the other is to look for vehicles. If there is nothing coming, you may continue without stopping. The idea in England is to keep the traffic flowing.

In certain areas (poor visibilty at a junction) you may find the odd Stop sign and the same rule as the US applies there.

But for the most part, junctions will have a Give Way sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.