Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Originally Posted by simongb
#2- That gets on my nerves too. I remember when I first moved here someone told me they were 'Polish'. I asked him where he was born. He said something like, Scranton, NJ. I asked him when he lived in Poland. He told me he had never been there. He didn't even speak Polish. WTF? How can you claim to be that nationality without EVER having set foot in the country! Just weird and stupid IMO.
It's a cultural difference. Not weird and stupid, just different. Many Americans (not my family generally, but we've been here over 200 years) identify strongly with the countries their ancestors came from.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
It's a cultural difference. Not weird and stupid, just different. Many Americans (not my family generally, but we've been here over 200 years) identify strongly with the countries their ancestors came from.
In which case your still American, just having cultural heritage of country x,y or z and there's nothing wrong with that, but your not someone from country x,y or z...
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In which case your still American, just having cultural heritage of country x,y or z and there's nothing wrong with that, but your not someone from country x,y or z...
I think most Americans would say "I'm English" or fill in the country. They don't literally mean they are from England, but rather of English descent. That doesn't mean they're not American either. It's simply the case of living in a country where everyone (who is not Native American) came from an immigrant background. Many traditions have been passed down (to varying extents) and family history is often studied closely. My father is proud that he can trace our family back to the 1400's in one case, and you may have heard me say that I've recently learned that part of our family came from Giggleswick.

I have a good friend for instance, who would likely say she was Polish if asked within the right context. Is she literally from Poland? No. Does she have a keen interest in anything Polish? Absolutely. She has a very Polish last name, grew up in what's considered a Polish neighborhood in our hometown, eating Polish foods, and she has studied the language. To her credit, she went to Poland on her honeymoon. An odd destination perhaps, but important to her.

Last edited by Kaffy Mintcake; Jun 15th 2009 at 2:42 am.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I think most Americans would say "I'm English" or fill in the country. They don't literally mean they are from England, but rather of English descent. That doesn't mean they're not American either. It's simply the case of living in a country where everyone (who is not Native American) came from an immigrant background. Many traditions have been passed down (to varying extents) and family history is often studied closely. My father is proud that he can trace our family back to the 1400's in one case, and you may have heard me say that I've recently learned that part of our family came from Giggleswick.

I have a good friend for instance, who would likely say she was Polish if asked within the right context. Is she literally from Poland? No. Does she have a keen interest in anything Polish? Absolutely. She has a very Polish last name, grew up in what's considered a Polish neighborhood in our hometown, eating Polish foods, and she has studied the language. To her credit, she went to Poland on her honeymoon. An odd destination perhaps, but important to her.
I'm with Kaffy on this one - I can't see why anyone would get upset or annoyed or frustrated with someone because they say they are 'from' somewhere! In the UK, you never even question where you are 'from' - your ancestors probably came from the same town, let alone country. It's so likely that it doesn't even bear thinking about. Over here, by comparison, EVERYONE is pretty much from a family that came from another country within the last two-thee hundred years, and it's a topic at the forefront of their minds. Understanding this seems essential to understanding how American's 'tick'. All you need to do is think of the word 'from' differently ... it doesn't mean, 'I personally was born there', it means, 'I have a cultural tie to that country'. 'From' is a pretty vague word anyway

One more thing - even if people in England are 'from' somewhere else (using the more literal interpretation), they would probably want to hide it because it is not socially 'acceptable' to be 'from' somewhere else ... I remember some relatives of mine were 'from' Ireland; I believe they came to England during the famine. This was a fact spoken of in hushed tones, as if they had leprosy or something.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

20masonroad will become famous soon enough

Oh so interesting.... I'm married to an American lady, who is of Irish decent, they researched and written a book about their journey from Ireland to Kansas, yet they are Americans.....From Irish stock.....Can't people just leave it here. Every St Patricks day, I am laughing my a** off at how many "Irish" suddenly walk the streets....I'm from Irish stock myself, yet born and raised in England, I consider myself English, but with a affinity with Ireland. Yes, I do say I'm "from Irish stock" but I don't push it.
I just think most, if not all Americans hang on to their heritage because there is little else to peg your flag onto here.....Be proud of where you come from....
It's like saying "African/American" NO, they are American.... The same as Irish/American, your American.....Ditto the rest of them, unless your born in Poland, Italy, China, Russia..........YOUR AMERICAN! Accept it
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Chaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michmel
I totally understand your frustrations LOL. Just be yourself and don't change for anyone. I had to laugh today, I was at Seaworld with my kids and I made a joke with a chappy sat next to me and he just didn't get it. My kids were laughing like crazy as it's a running joke in our family that whenever I speak to an american, even after nearly 5 years here, they still don't get my humor or even understand me. Hell, I don't care, I'm off home in October with my family for good.yesssssssss!

I wish you luck, Florida peeps are a challenge for sure. brain dead vegetables
Totally. I hate it when these neanderthals don't instantly understand and appreciate humour that's specific to my family and culture. I was born in a country that's produced some of the wittiest men and women the world has ever seen, so naturally I too am blessed with a brilliant sense of humour. So it can't be that my jokes are simply not funny, as that's not physically possible. It's just these idiots who don't get it.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chaunticleer
Totally. I hate it when these neanderthals don't instantly understand and appreciate humour that's specific to my family and culture. I was born in a country that's produced some of the wittiest men and women the world has ever seen, so naturally I too am blessed with a brilliant sense of humour. So it can't be that my jokes are simply not funny, as that's not physically possible. It's just these idiots who don't get it.
Awesome.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Awesome.
Haha, still laughing.

That's my favorite post in weeks.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:00 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Let it all out. Don't feel bad about venting.

And since you at it, i might as well get stuck in as well !! These are the things that have been pissing me off lately...

I couldn't imagine myself living over here for 20 + years like some have.
Try 23. It really sucks!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 20masonroad
Oh so interesting.... I'm married to an American lady, who is of Irish decent, they researched and written a book about their journey from Ireland to Kansas, yet they are Americans.....From Irish stock.....Can't people just leave it here. Every St Patricks day, I am laughing my a** off at how many "Irish" suddenly walk the streets....I'm from Irish stock myself, yet born and raised in England, I consider myself English, but with a affinity with Ireland. Yes, I do say I'm "from Irish stock" but I don't push it.
I just think most, if not all Americans hang on to their heritage because there is little else to peg your flag onto here.....Be proud of where you come from....
It's like saying "African/American" NO, they are American.... The same as Irish/American, your American.....Ditto the rest of them, unless your born in Poland, Italy, China, Russia..........YOUR AMERICAN! Accept it
I think they do accept it, in fact most are very proud being American.
Kaffy explained it very well.
Anyway as far as who has to except what, you're the one that needs to accept it, because that's the way it is here.

Last edited by surly; Jun 15th 2009 at 6:32 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
#2- That gets on my nerves too. I remember when I first moved here someone told me they were 'Polish'. I asked him where he was born. He said something like, Scranton, NJ. I asked him when he lived in Poland. He told me he had never been there. He didn't even speak Polish. WTF? How can you claim to be that nationality without EVER having set foot in the country! Just weird and stupid IMO.
It's not claiming nationality. It's identifying cultural heritage & is quite common here. Considering the history of the country, not all that surprising, either.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just get over it people......I do except the way it is here, I live here and abide by the laws of this land........It's almost comical, the way some "Americans" believe that hanging on to some distant ancestral home land is the key to a great life....Make your own, as they did back in the day!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 20masonroad
Just get over it people......I do except the way it is here, I live here and abide by the laws of this land........It's almost comical, the way some "Americans" believe that hanging on to some distant ancestral home land is the key to a great life....Make your own, as they did back in the day!
I think you still misunderstand.. how did you make the leap from cultural identification to 'the key to a great life'?
It's like identifying myself as curly haired, or brown eyed (which obviously DO make up the key to a great life btw). Just part of who they feel they are.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think you still misunderstand.. how did you make the leap from cultural identification to 'the key to a great life'?
It's like identifying myself as curly haired, or brown eyed (which obviously DO make up the key to a great life btw). Just part of who they feel they are.
Rubbish...everyone knows blondes have more fun.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

10-4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.