Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:50 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.

Help seriously if I feel like this after nearly four years...

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:57 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Chillax
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

PS I have some very cool and smart US friends who dont talk crap like the above!
I have been converted to your ways and want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, the place has gone mad lately and I don't blame you for feeling fed up.
There's your US Seal of Approval: freedom to bitch n' moan. Have at it!

(this may be a limited time offer, use while fresh, do not expose small children to fumes)
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:16 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Let it all out. Don't feel bad about venting.

And since you at it, i might as well get stuck in as well !! These are the things that have been pissing me off lately...

The dry sense of humor. I cant stand it. Every time i make a joke at work its all, "Oh Steve you too sassy" blah blah blah. I absolutely hate that word now *SASS*

2. I don't know how many times i have seen people with the Scottish, Irish and German license plate flags on their cars, acting like they actually know anything about those country's. I bet most of those people couldn't even locate them on a map but still they are so proud that their x10 great uncle's sister came from there.

I couldn't imagine myself living over here for 20 + years like some have.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need a holiday...hang in there.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Florida!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:32 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Florida!

Bradford Lass...hang in there every now and then it does get to you especially when you've had a shitty week or month..no harm in venting, you feel better for it..

funnily enough when I lived in Tampa and I felt like I was going to implode from stupid comments and silly people (I knew I'd hit rock bottom when I argued with the TV over the pronunciations of some words..)..I would head on over to Bush gardens as we lived right around the corner from it and wonder around and listen to all the english accents, strike up conversations with em all and have a chat and a laugh and piss take of course..

For some reason it always made me feel better..
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:36 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I am dreading July 4th and next week the Army Ball where we will sing the Army song and celebrate the creation of the US Army as a result of defeating the pesky Brits.
My hubby was fed up last July 4th of everyone saying how they beat the Brits. He told them we left on our accord, they'd got no gold or anything else worth stealing, and slavery had been abolished so we couldn't trade in that anymore. America was no use to the Brits any longer. They all either believed him, or decided he was mental but shut up after that.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:36 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Thats funny Lisa, I normally wait till I have had a few glasses and shout agreement with Bill Maher on Fridays, tonight I have been screaming expletives at the TV all evening.

Thanks everyone for kind words, this is the first time I have seriously considered therapy or medication
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay spoiler alert*** I am going to rant about the US please be aware this is the only place I can do this so US members cut me some slack...

Its been a crappy week working too hard, wondering when I will take another holiday etc, but the things that are really driving me crazy are...

the Lou Dobbs- foreigners should kiss our ass, take your gun to church, best country in the world stories, along with people telling me that we should cut the guys some slack cos this is the south and they are used to being in control and they are providers so shouldnt be questioned, but women dont need to work outside school times cos well family first and I dont understand and can pick up the slack cos I dont have kids - step children dont count apparently. And every thing I question is cos I dont understand cos it must be different in England.

Just ignore them. That's what I do. Works a treat.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:23 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

I bet you're due on the blob, love....
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Thats funny Lisa, I normally wait till I have had a few glasses and shout agreement with Bill Maher on Fridays, tonight I have been screaming expletives at the TV all evening.

Thanks everyone for kind words, this is the first time I have seriously considered therapy or medication
Oh dear, I'm sorry you're going through this. What you've described sounds like conservative attitudes that are sometimes found in the South. I'd struggle with this as well.

Hang in there and take care of yourself - we love ya.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Aww take care, don't let them get to you.
When I've had a day like that I bitch and moan to Dh about the **** Americans, He sort of looks at me funny and nods and leaves me alone.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:41 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

I understand, but the whole 4th of July thing as far as my history goes, which isn't far!! wasn't it the British colonials against the British? in that war and only after that, did they declare independence, thus becoming Americians? so its not them beating us, it was almost a British civil war?.
on Americans and humour, have just spent one of the funniest nights of my life surrounded by Americans, they where truly funny and sarcastic, ironic and used pathos, all meant to be british traits!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

When I have days where all the "America F**K Yeah!" starts getting to me, I just turn off the TV, and watch my Doctor Who DVDs. Yep. Geek here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.