Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Feeling very down about the whole thing

Feeling very down about the whole thing

Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling very down about the whole thing

Originally Posted by knconsulting
I have lived here a total of 27 years and the UK for 10. UK beef is much nicer- and that's compared to Wholefoods, and local organic farms (I only eat local/organic as much as possible). Same goes for the veg- a longer growing season in the UK, plus the ability to get it from the groud to your kitchen in a much shorter amount of time makes it taste much better, as they don't lose as much natural sugars in the transport process. Perhaps you haven't been to the UK in a while? When we left last year, I felt the food industry had reached new heights. Thanks is probably due to chefs and campaigners for this kind of quality like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Jaime Oliver, and such. I know it is possible to get organic, grass fed, Aberdeen Angus if you really try- but then you pay a fortune.
I have not been back for any substantial time in 27 years. My brother lives there still, and echoes what you say - that there is now something of a revolution in the food/grocery world over there - wonderful for UK! I'm not trying to 'put down' the UK food situation.

As for the US, I know that much of what is sold in mainstream outlets is crap. However, the Bay Area of California has long been a hotbed of organic/natural, and I've been a big fan for the longest time. I would bet good money that the quality of food readily available in the Bay Area is every bit as good as the quality of food available in the UK - you have to look for it, and you have to be willing to accept 'differences' - like bacon (that part of the animal is simply used for different cuts here so you are not going to find 'English Bacon').

Part of the problem here, I believe, is that 'mainstream' groceries are so darned cheap, and when you compare shopping at Safeway to shopping at (eg) Whole Foods (aka Whole Pay Check) it's hard to justify the extra. But if you compare the cost of Whole Foods to similar goods in UK, and adjust for real cost of living, then I'd say it's still relatively inexpensive here to buy good stuff - which is what I was trying to put across to the OP way back - prepare to spend a bit more and get the good stuff otherwise you will be disappointed.

I have a vegetarian friend here (originally from UK) and she still has a big struggle on her hands when she goes back to UK finding any kind of decent vegetarian food in restaurants; something she can easily handle here in CA.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:11 am
Just Joined

TorquayGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by knconsulting
Very normal feeling. My wife was sick in the airport on the way here. Colorado is a very nice state, supposedly the one with the highest quality of living in the US. I have friends living there (Americans) and they love it.

Everything is very different and will take some getting used to. But what's good and bad is entirely dependent on your personal taste. Note that certain things you may be used to, like normal chocolate or bacon, is not readily available. All chocolate here is very 'chemically' and tastes nothing like a proper Dairy Milk. Same for bacon- it's all 'streaky' and no one's even heard of 'back bacon.' But you can still get this stuff- BritishDelights.com will ship you crisps and chocolate and other such things... but they tend to be nearly out of date. They call real bacon 'Irish Bacon' here and you can get it in Wholefoods supermarkets- there are about 20 in Colorado.

We use Skype a lot to stay in touch with family in England- its free and the video is great. Still miss the UK a lot and plan on returning, but you can make a good life in the US for a bit less and it's good work experience, so it's not bad. Hope it works out very well and don't panic!
gotta love Skype.. .we use it all the time too...... if you want bacon you have to ask for Canadian back bacon, they will know what you are talking about then in the stores.... but you will never get to eat creamy delicious dairy milk here in the USA... you eat 2 chunks of Hershey chocolate and in 5 minutes headache... sugar and chemical rush.. disgusting stuff haha!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Part of the problem here, I believe, is that 'mainstream' groceries are so darned cheap, and when you compare shopping at Safeway to shopping at (eg) Whole Foods (aka Whole Pay Check) it's hard to justify the extra. But if you compare the cost of Whole Foods to similar goods in UK, and adjust for real cost of living, then I'd say it's still relatively inexpensive here to buy good stuff - which is what I was trying to put across to the OP way back - prepare to spend a bit more and get the good stuff otherwise you will be disappointed.

I have a vegetarian friend here (originally from UK) and she still has a big struggle on her hands when she goes back to UK finding any kind of decent vegetarian food in restaurants; something she can easily handle here in CA.
No, generally it is a lot more expensive here, some things are dirt cheap but the thing that affects prices most noticeably is local access to the food goods. Fruit and veg is generally a lot more expensive in my part of the country in certain times of the year, meat also very expensive, but fish a lot cheaper. Move up to Maine and corn is $1 for 12 years instead of $3 for a half dozen.

Don't notice such a huge difference in price across the UK in that regard.

As for vegetarian food, also depends on where you look in the UK, back in Oxford it is all over the place, get a better veggie selection in the fast food joints than you do in the US and finding decent veggie food in MA/ME? Don't forget, you've got far more hippies on your coast than we do
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't forget, you've got far more hippies on your coast than we do
You rang?
(I've been out of the vegetarian restaurant gig a long time now.. not exactly a pioneer, but I feel like it with these whippersnappers these days. Why we used to have to go to the tofu factory ourselves...)
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Izzywig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brat1
I am late to this and new to BE.

I up-rooted my kids (15 &11) 4 months ago to get married here. Things in the UK were tough and it seemed like a 'no-brainer' for us all the settle here in the US rather than the UK.

The kid's Dad was fully supportive and encouraged the move.

It has been soooo hard. So many bumps and I feel so guilty for having brought them. They seem ok and are ''making the most of it'' for me.

The oldest has found the transition hardest. He was a county level rugby player in the UK and of course here we have struggled to even find a team. We have now but its just not the same.

The youngest misses her Dad but loves it here.

I, on the other hand, feel I am sinking by the day

I would say the guilt is the hardest part
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I felt the same - Although I'm here on a CR1, and my hubby is American - I was telling him I wanted to get off the plane as it was taxiing down the runway, despite all we had worked for and achieved in getting the visa in the first place.

It does get better, and I'll only echo what everyone else has said - once I started working and making my own friends away from DH I started to settle in.

I do still have my moments though, where I want to throw my stuff in a bag and head back to england, but my BE friends - who are also now facebook friends and who I meet up with as often as we all can, soon make me realise that i'm being a numpty!
I wish we could swap stories...I need some encouragement right now as I am just about ready to go back
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzywig
I am late to this and new to BE.

I up-rooted my kids (15 &11) 4 months ago to get married here. Things in the UK were tough and it seemed like a 'no-brainer' for us all the settle here in the US rather than the UK.

The kid's Dad was fully supportive and encouraged the move.

It has been soooo hard. So many bumps and I feel so guilty for having brought them. They seem ok and are ''making the most of it'' for me.

The oldest has found the transition hardest. He was a county level rugby player in the UK and of course here we have struggled to even find a team. We have now but its just not the same.

The youngest misses her Dad but loves it here.

I, on the other hand, feel I am sinking by the day

I would say the guilt is the hardest part
I've not made the move yet but will be heading over next month. I understand completely how you feel and I imagine I'm going to go through similar over at least the next year.

The support on this forum is fantastic, and people on here will always be realistic whether it's what you want to hear or not.

I would imagine, try and think why you made the move in the first place. If you're sure you did it for the right reasons, then you have nothing to feel guilty about. As I said previously, we all as parents make decisions that sometimes don't work out the way we expected but as long as you know you did what was right at the time, then you have to give yourself a break. You've only been there 4 months. Most people on here say to give it at least a year to 18 months and not to return home in that time.

Please look at the positives, be there to listen to the kids when they've had not such a good day and hopefully through time, they'll adjust, make a new group of friends and settle more.

I think the younger the child, probably the easier it is for them to adjust, and I'm just as concerned as you about my 16 year old and hope I don't regret doing what we're about to do.

We're all here to listen when you're having a bad day so keep posting and keep that chin up. Have a glass of wine on me.

Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

I've not made the move yet but will be heading over next month. I understand completely how you feel and I imagine I'm going to go through similar over at least the next year.

The support on this forum is fantastic, and people on here will always be realistic whether it's what you want to hear or not.

I would imagine, try and think why you made the move in the first place. If you're sure you did it for the right reasons, then you have nothing to feel guilty about. As I said previously, we all as parents make decisions that sometimes don't work out the way we expected but as long as you know you did what was right at the time, then you have to give yourself a break. You've only been there 4 months. Most people on here say to give it at least a year to 18 months and not to return home in that time.

Please look at the positives, be there to listen to the kids when they've had not such a good day and hopefully through time, they'll adjust, make a new group of friends and settle more.

I think the younger the child, probably the easier it is for them to adjust, and I'm just as concerned as you about my 16 year old and hope I don't regret doing what we're about to do.

We're all here to listen when you're having a bad day so keep posting and keep that chin up. Have a glass of wine on me.

Thank you Cheers
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzywig
Thank you Cheers
You're welcome

Just remember, no matter how bad you're feeling, there's someone else on this forum that has either been through it, going through it, or about to go through it so don't feel so bad. Focus on the positives!!!

By the way, where are you located Izzy. Maybe there's someone on here that lives close by or even in your state which will maybel make you feel better.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

You're welcome

Just remember, no matter how bad you're feeling, there's someone else on this forum that has either been through it, going through it, or about to go through it so don't feel so bad. Focus on the positives!!!

By the way, where are you located Izzy. Maybe there's someone on here that lives close by or even in your state which will maybel make you feel better.
I'm in Cincinnati, OH and thankyou for your encouragement Much appreciated
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Izzywig. if you take a look at the over 60's and moving back to the UK you will see many posting from the other side of this issue. We who moved to the US with little children and then when the children where in there teens wanted to go home but it was not possible, well we who stayed made that decision to stay because the children where to entrenched in the US way of life and it would not have worked.
Your oldest son will find it very difficult its so hard being a teenager let alone trying to fit into a different society. I know people think that here in the US they are the same as the UK but they are not. I found that out quickly. I can remember helping my children with spelling tests they brought home from school. I got a letter from the teacher asking me not to help as I was teaching them wrong and that was just one thing.
Perhaps you could give your son a timeline and tell him if he isnt settled in a certain amount of time either you all can go back or he can go back.

In schools here probably the same as in the UK you have different groups the achievers, the middle of the roaders, the under achievers, and the sports groups. The group to worry about most is the under achievers for whaterever reason they feel outsiders and some turn into trouble makers and thats the ones you have to look out for. Some of the sports groups are also not the best. If your son feels he doesnt fit he might be persuaded to join that group. Just keep your eye on him and have open conversations with him.

If you married an American then he will probably know what goes on in schools.

I wish you very good luck. I live in New Hampshire along way from you.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Izzywig. if you take a look at the over 60's and moving back to the UK you will see many posting from the other side of this issue. We who moved to the US with little children and then when the children where in there teens wanted to go home but it was not possible, well we who stayed made that decision to stay because the children where to entrenched in the US way of life and it would not have worked.
Your oldest son will find it very difficult its so hard being a teenager let alone trying to fit into a different society. I know people think that here in the US they are the same as the UK but they are not. I found that out quickly. I can remember helping my children with spelling tests they brought home from school. I got a letter from the teacher asking me not to help as I was teaching them wrong and that was just one thing.
Perhaps you could give your son a timeline and tell him if he isnt settled in a certain amount of time either you all can go back or he can go back.

In schools here probably the same as in the UK you have different groups the achievers, the middle of the roaders, the under achievers, and the sports groups. The group to worry about most is the under achievers for whaterever reason they feel outsiders and some turn into trouble makers and thats the ones you have to look out for. Some of the sports groups are also not the best. If your son feels he doesnt fit he might be persuaded to join that group. Just keep your eye on him and have open conversations with him.

If you married an American then he will probably know what goes on in schools.

I wish you very good luck. I live in New Hampshire along way from you.
Thank you so much

Unfortunately as a dyslexic my son is in classes with under achievers...but he is sensible. We have found a High School Rugby group but its just not at the standard he is used to but he is being positive for now.

Its just not an option to go back long story but I have nothing to go back to and my husband can't afford to lose his retirement here which would happen if we all went back. There are two options..stay and 'tough it out' or go back with the kids and return to a long distance relationship yet again.

I so desperately want to do the right thing for my kids the trouble is I have no idea what that is at this point!

I truly appreciate the support I am getting here at BE.. its such a lonely place to be right now
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Izzywig...Make sure to ask for help at the school there are some very famous people who are dyslexic. Sometimes schools seem to assume that because a child has a problem they dont want to learn. Just make sure that he gets good teachers. I know with my daughter they wanted to put her in classes with under achiever teachers and thats bad. I had to fight to have her get good teachers.
If your son is good at Rugby then that might be his saving grace and give him the boost he needs.
Keep your chin up and take one day at a time didnt mean to make you feel sad if you are all working together then thats the most you can ask for.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Izzywig...Make sure to ask for help at the school there are some very famous people who are dyslexic. Sometimes schools seem to assume that because a child has a problem they dont want to learn. Just make sure that he gets good teachers. I know with my daughter they wanted to put her in classes with under achiever teachers and thats bad. I had to fight to have her get good teachers.
If your son is good at Rugby then that might be his saving grace and give him the boost he needs.
Keep your chin up and take one day at a time didnt mean to make you feel sad if you are all working together then thats the most you can ask for.

Oh you didn't make me sad..I was already sad

The school seems pretty good and he stays after school to get extra help but that only makes him feel even more different from the other kids! He is an awesome rugby player and played at a high level in England so here its a bit frustrating for him I am just hoping he makes friends with his new rugby team mates and at least share that interest.

I know I need to look forward and not back, I know I need to get out the house but I seem to have gotten myself in a hole I can't get out of! Thank you so much for all your help here though...it is making a big difference knowing I am not alone.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Izzy, being alone in the house must be so isolating. Have you had a look at meetup.com?

They list groups all over who meet and share interests, from dancing to wine tasting, crafts, hiking, sports, photography, sewing, lots and lots. Why not go and have a look and see if there is a group around you that you might enjoy.

I really think meeting others and getting out and about would help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.