Reload this Page >

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by Deb
I was still sticking my bum out the upstairs back window of the bus when I was 30...
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:32 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deb
I insured an Aston Martin for a guy a few weeks ago, his inurance for the year was $4700...there was no finance on the car and he was 26...!!!

Bastard..
I had an Aston Martin when I was 32 .........with no finance. If I had tried harder at 26 I could've done the same but I was too busy pissing it up and shagging to worry about work and its rewards.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:40 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I had an Aston Martin when I was 32 .........with no finance. If I had tried harder at 26 I could've done the same but I was too busy pissing it up and shagging to worry about work and its rewards.

I would love a ride in an Aston Martin...
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deb
I would love a ride in an Aston Martin...
Make's a change from the transit van I suppose
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:42 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Make's a change from the transit van I suppose

Aye, they are just uncomfortable and the gear sticks are far too long......:
Old Jul 8th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Yes, I think you're right - which is why I thought I'd better check! It's natural to miss foods from home ... I lived in Luxembourg for six months and was so happy to receive peanut butter of all things from home. We could certainly stand to have less sugar in everything here - it is possible to find bread without added sugar, but it's not easy, nor is it cheap!
Funny when I go Cincinnati I can find food from the UK Jungle Jims.But in Luxembourg you should have found Peanut butter.Its Erdnuss Butter in German.
I remember my son inlaws mother sending him American Potato Chips because she was sure they didnt have them in Europe...............That tells you something .Plus he was stationed with the USA Army they never go without.
right there,Just to top it off one of my neighbours called to ask me {What State is the Bahamas in?}So I think a little education is missing in this country.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hove
Funny when I go Cincinnati I can find food from the UK Jungle Jims.But in Luxembourg you should have found Peanut butter.Its Erdnuss Butter in German.
I remember my son inlaws mother sending him American Potato Chips because she was sure they didnt have them in Europe...............That tells you something .Plus he was stationed with the USA Army they never go without.
right there,Just to top it off one of my neighbours called to ask me {What State is the Bahamas in?}So I think a little education is missing in this country.
You've been to Jungle Jim's - that's certainly an interesting store isn't it? Almost more of a museum than a grocery store. My husband loves to look at all of the hot sauces for sale. If you were going to find food from the UK that would definitely be the right place to look.

It could just be that I didn't look in the right places for peanut butter in Luxembourg - and I speak French, not German, so I likely would have missed the meaning of the label.

You're right that education (particularly regarding geography) is very lacking in this country. I read recently that 25% of Americans (though I can't recall if it was students or the general population, though it doesn't really matter) couldn't point out Louisiana on a map. (Let alone Afghanistan or Iraq). Scary.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Why...How wide is your "outlet" FFS.
That's a bit personal, init?!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:04 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Was it a Matchbox or a Dinky?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:06 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.........You're right that education (particularly regarding geography) is very lacking in this country. I read recently that 25% of Americans (though I can't recall if it was students or the general population, though it doesn't really matter) couldn't point out Louisiana on a map. (Let alone Afghanistan or Iraq). Scary.
Scary indeed:

"In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today. ... About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent."

Though other nations could apparently do a lot better also...

You can test yourself

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...perSurvey.html
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:12 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,
.............A few questions I've thought of are ...

1) What do you like about living in the United States?
2) On the flip side, what don't you like about living in the United States?
3) What surprised you the most when you moved here?
4) Do you interact with American colleagues differently than you would colleagues at home? If so, why, and in what way?

In general, I'm interested in anything you have to say and are willing to share. Thank you in advance.
Kind Regards,
Kathy
1) On the whole the cost of living is less than in the UK. The range of choices for places to live in is, effectively, limitless. You can literally pick any climate or surroundings (desert, mountains, huge city, small towns......). You can earn pretty good money here if you are willing to trade. Americans are very approachable (degree varies by region) and outgoing. They tend to be optimistic. There is a strong will to keep Government out of your 4 walls and that the individual matters, this is a two edged-sword though.....(next)
2) ....There is little or no financial safety net here for you.
It takes a real effort to live a simple life here, mostly because the American way of life is very materialistic. America and Americans are generally intimidated by foreigness. Its not easy to go from being a curiosity to making a real connection with people. On a different note, its disappointing at how consistently grotty US towns tend to be. Especially, the older ones. There doesn't seem to be much community pride in making the town you live in attractive and pretty.
3) Surprised most by the sheer scale of things. The size and volume of literally everything. Roads, cities, food & drink, TV..... basically everything was off the scale in quantity. I came here at the end of the cold war and at that time America was "the promised land" compared to the UK.
4) Of course. The UK and the US are different countries, with totally different cultures. The common language (well....) is helpful for communicating but that really is the only thing we share. In the white collar workplace, Americans tend to be too professional and dont let their personalities through. Corporate identity tends to override and you dont feel like you are dealing with real people. In a blue collar environment its a lot more relaxed and much more like working in the UK. This may be due to America's obsession with qualifications and love of the corporate "ethic". My interaction is, unfortunately, muted. In the type of workplace I usually find myself in, simply being yourself isn't welcomed. It is perceived that you are being unproductive and unprofessional.
I should add that this does vary by region. But in general, it is the case.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

The link in the article didn't take me to the survey ... try this one:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/index.html
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The link in the article didn't take me to the survey ... try this one:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/roper2006/index.html
Don't get bogged down in details..

If your original question is legitimate and you want to know the answers, spend a couple of days reaading back in this forum; you'll get an education in the threads where They are talking amongst themselves for amusement and wearing their hearts on their sleeves. The answers for your project won't be answered in this thread, not completely.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:13 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
"In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today. ... About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent."
I always want to know more about the format of surveys like this - they never say if the places people are asked to find are labelled or not on the map they are using. If not, then it would be quite difficult for many people (not just Yanks), and if they are, then how long do they give people to find places? In that case surely anyone who can read could find Afghanistan or Iraq on a world map given five minutes or so.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
Don't get bogged down in details..

If your original question is legitimate and you want to know the answers, spend a couple of days reaading back in this forum; you'll get an education in the threads where They are talking amongst themselves for amusement and wearing their hearts on their sleeves. The answers for your project won't be answered in this thread, not completely.
Thanks - I was simply trying to be helpful by posting a working link since Elvira mentioned that people could test themselves if they wanted to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.