Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Hee hee. What's 16 when compared to 15K+? I'm actually a highly sarcastic person. I'm admittedly trying to be extremely polite because in my mind you are doing me a favor by helping me out. This is a British expat site afterall, right? I'm not a British expat - I'm a guest looking for insight and trying to read between the lines for signs which say "get lost". Though thinking back to your earlier point - perhaps there's no need to read between the lines or to look for sugar coating with a hidden meaning.

Something tells me there's a story behind the Guinevere thread. Elvira - I looked and came up empty-handed. Surely it can't be more colorful than a 51 page discussion on turds?
For goodness sake, if you want to do 'research' you have to know how to use the Search function...

Here you go:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=guinevere

Enjoy.

You may thank me.

Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hee hee. What's 16 when compared to 15K+? I'm actually a highly sarcastic person. I'm admittedly trying to be extremely polite because in my mind you are doing me a favor by helping me out. This is a British expat site afterall, right? I'm not a British expat - I'm a guest looking for insight and trying to read between the lines for signs which say "get lost". Though thinking back to your earlier point - perhaps there's no need to read between the lines or to look for sugar coating with a hidden meaning.

Something tells me there's a story behind the Guinevere thread. Elvira - I looked and came up empty-handed. Surely it can't be more colorful than a 51 page discussion on turds?
Turds? Very nearly a swear word.
Get lost Get lost Get lost Get lost Get lost Get lost
I've occasionally been known for a touch of sarcasm too.
You seriously dont want to get into the Guinevere thread..itll slay you.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
For goodness sake, if you want to do 'research' you have to know how to use the Search function...

Here you go:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=guinevere

Enjoy.

You may thank me.

That's odd - I did a search on "new here", "Hello" and "Guinevere" and missed all of the above.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Turds? Very nearly a swear word.
I've occasionally been known for a touch of sarcasm too.
You seriously dont want to get into the Guinevere thread..itll slay you.
I just may want to read it. I'm in the middle of writing a dreadful leadership self-assessment essay which doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Thanks Elvira!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

We have quite a few Americans on here, long time members, and not a bad bunch I will say
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britvic
We have quite a few Americans on here, long time members, and not a bad bunch I will say
That's good to know, as I'm enjoying talking with you. And who knows - if we do make it over to the UK sometime soon perhaps you can give me some good tips on places to see.

And oh my God - I'm on page 6 of the thread Elvira sent and my jaw is officially on the floor!!!!!!!!

I keep wondering - what happened?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know, as I'm enjoying talking with you. And who knows - if we do make it over to the UK sometime soon perhaps you can give me some good tips on places to see.

And oh my God - I'm on page 6 of the thread Elvira sent and my jaw is officially on the floor!!!!!!!!

I keep wondering - what happened?
You have some funny reading with those two threads enjoy.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:48 am
Banned

RaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really nice

Strange I get the impression you are talking right out of your arse.

"Americans lack of pretense" ".......Brutal honesty and blunt nature of Americans".....Where? Id move there tomorrow!!

Just this morning I was shopping at a local "grocery store" and inadvertently grabbed someones buggy when they were using the rest room. The man came out and said "what the F### are you doing!", then he said "Get the F*** outta here" and retrieved the buggy from me.In the UK the guy would have just went and got another buggy, or maybe have said "excuse me sir" and politely ask for it back..The UK is much more civilised..I don't think thats even debatable.

Last edited by RaiseTheDead; Jul 9th 2007 at 12:50 am.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:50 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RaiseTheDead
Just this morning I was shopping at a local "grocery store" and inadvertently grabbed someone elses buggy when they were using the rest room. The man came out and said "what the F### are you doing!", then he said "Get the F*** outta here" and retrieved the buggy from me.In the UK the guy would have just went and got another buggy, or maybe have said "excuse me sir" and politely ask for it back..The UK is much more civilised..I don't thats even debatable.
Now you are talking right out of your arse...
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by RaiseTheDead
Just this morning I was shopping at a local "grocery store" and inadvertently grabbed someones buggy when they were using the rest room. The man came out and said "what the F### are you doing!", then he said "Get the F*** outta here" and retrieved the buggy from me.In the UK the guy would have just went and got another buggy, or maybe have said "excuse me sir" and politely ask for it back..The UK is much more civilised..I don't thats even debatable.
All you did was just bump into a big mouth exception to the rule...most people wouldve rolled their eyes and got another cart. Furthmore, if I had grabbed that cart while he was in the restroom and came out shooting from the lip he would've either recieved the cart at the speed of sound right in his bollocks or been told to **** right off as I walked off with his cart.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:53 am
Account Closed

ROFLMFAO....I was going to say those exact words but chose the diplomatic version. Are we rubbing off on each other.

(No dirty suggestive answers Mrs)
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where in god's green earth did that supposedly happen? You didn't mention where you lived.

I can't say that I've ever observed behavior which even remotely resembles that in over 30 years in this country.

Rushman's right ... what I like to call a "passive aggressive" response is much more likely.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:56 am
Homebody

ROFLMFAO....I was going to say those exact words but chose the diplomatic version. Are we rubbing off on each other.

(No dirty suggestive answers Mrs)
I was going to say I'll rub yours if you rub mine and we can take if from there........... but if you want to be like that...

Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've never heard a Yank swear except of course OH Sailor mates, and before they really knew me they was full of apologie's bless em
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:57 am
Banned

RaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really nice

All you did was just bump into a big mouth exception to the rule...most people wouldve rolled their eyes and got another cart. Furthmore, if I had grabbed that cart while he was in the restroom and came out shooting from the lip he would've either recieved the cart at the speed of sound right in his bollocks or been told to **** right off as I walked off with his cart.

Sure you would have Rushman...Mr Tough internet talker..lol

I live in Chicago -Everybody talks like that here..If you arent double tough, then you won't survive here..Nothing I learned growing up in the UK prepared me for this dog eat dog world..They eat guys like Rushman for breakfest here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.