Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by Mallory
It is! I hope they keep the big box store out.

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread. I wondered if Rosie and Barb recognized anything.
I thought you might just be covering all bases lol
Old Feb 18th 2011, 1:25 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not ever. Leaving the UK in 1983 due to lack of jobs (similar situation to what is happening in the UK now) turned my life around in a way that would not have been possible if I had stayed in the UK.

The end result has not been anywhere near as successful financially as it might have been if I had stayed (because I didn't buy my first house until 1988, by which time prices had gone up, and have been similarly hit hard financially by my move back and selling up my US house in 1999, and again buying a UK house in March 2007).

So, I definitely regret some of the financial fallout that has resulted from being an expat (linked directly with the timing of my moves, i.e., during the dotcom boom and during the UK housing bubble), but the adventures I have had and the people I have met along the way have made it worthwhile.
I also left the UK at the tail end of the 80s recession after I came out of the Navy and in many ways felt that i had little choice, given the state of the work situation and the pitful wages that were being paid at the time.

I ended up in Miami, now Vancouver. I didnt like Miami or Florida for that matter. Always found the US to be a bit off centre and never seemed to quite fit. Don't regret it, but I find myself wondering these days what would have become of me had i stayed in the UK.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

AyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
But even if I wasn't horribly disillusioned by realizing that the American dream is a big lie perpetrated by the rich to rip off everyone else,

[end of rant!]
Well don't know how true that is, seeing as how the current president grew up in quite a poor household. The American dream is very much alive,in my mind,if you have intelligence and some luck !
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

He is incredibly smart and incredibly charismatic. Most people do not have his gifts and his success doesn't mean that the rest of the country isn't being systematically ripped off by rich and powerful corporations.

But making people believe in that dream is essential, so you're definitely not alone.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

BrittanyB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AyePod
Well don't know how true that is, seeing as how the current president grew up in quite a poor household. The American dream is very much alive,in my mind,if you have intelligence and some luck !
Mostly very true. My father was born into an INCREDIBLY poor family (we are talking dirt floors here) and through scholarships to uni and hard work, he now has a 6 figure salary and a great house (and sent 3 kids to uni as well). My mother also grew up in a struggling household. Her father died when he was only 34, leaving my grandma to raise 4 kids on her own. Each child was able to go to university and get a degree, and they are now a lawyer, psychiatrist, business owner, and teacher. You cannot expect things to fall into your lap, but if you work hard and have an intelligent mind, the rewards are there.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 5:58 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't say I regret leaving England when I did, but I sometimes wonder how I would have fared elsewhere... Perhaps Europe.

My story is that I was a pretty troubled teenager, and things looked very bleak for me in 1989 in England. I traveled in Europe and met an American. He was from Minnesota and I decided to go there and marry. It was more for the security, a feeling of belonging, a home that I wished for -- rather than marriage. I was 19.

I had a second chance: to go to a great college in Mpls. and get my degree. We were poor, so had a lot of help from partial grants. Also I remember thinking how much free and cheap stuff there was just lying around the streets! And thrift stores: wow. And a friend offered a big apartment for way less than it was worth. We were poor but lucky. We had just enough always.

By the time I graduated we were divorced. I had grown so much and wanted my independence -- wasn't the healthiest relationship. I was also determined to use my degree and get a good job. I didn't even think about health insurance back then. So, lucky again, nothing bad ever happened in that regard. Although paid a small fortune to have 2 wisdom teeth removed...

So America has given me a lot really over the years since then. I wonder about my personal growth had I lived in the UK. In the US I discovered therapy. I discovered feelings. And ... well... not to get too gushy here (we are Brits after all!) ... self love. It's taken a while. Growing up in England I barely received a compliment. I believed I was ugly and stupid. That's just what I was around.

Now I'm in California and by common standards have done pretty well for myself. It wasn't a steady course to get here but I have a nice place, friends, interests, decent weather! For the most part, I have confidence and hopefulness.

Yet I do wonder about the sense of community and English life. Would it be different for me now as a "grown up"? I often feel people are "scheduling" me in here. People are so busy, needing to feel productive and active constantly. Not all, but a general feeling. As others have said, a mixed bag. Overall though I'm incredibly grateful about my path here despite some things about America that make me angry (lack of affordable health care, homelessness situation in San Francisco, right wing religious politics, state education system).

But actually when I wrote the gist of it out here, a pretty amazing life. So, je ne regrette rien

Last edited by citizenmarie; Feb 20th 2011 at 6:19 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
I can't say I regret leaving England when I did, but I sometimes wonder how I would have fared elsewhere... Perhaps Europe.

My story is that I was a pretty troubled teenager, and things looked very bleak for me in 1989 in England. I traveled in Europe and met an American. He was from Minnesota and I decided to go there and marry. It was more for the security, a feeling of belonging, a home that I wished for -- rather than marriage. I was 19.

I had a second chance: to go to a great college in Mpls. and get my degree. We were poor, so had a lot of help from partial grants. Also I remember thinking how much free and cheap stuff there was just lying around the streets! And thrift stores: wow. And a friend offered a big apartment for way less than it was worth. We were poor but lucky. We had just enough always.

By the time I graduated we were divorced. I had grown so much and wanted my independence -- wasn't the healthiest relationship. I was also determined to use my degree and get a good job. I didn't even think about health insurance back then. So, lucky again, nothing bad ever happened in that regard. Although paid a small fortune to have 2 wisdom teeth removed...

So America has given me a lot really over the years since then. I wonder about my personal growth had I lived in the UK. In the US I discovered therapy. I discovered feelings. And ... well... not to get too gushy here (we are Brits after all!) ... self love. It's taken a while. Growing up in England I barely received a compliment. I believed I was ugly and stupid. That's just what I was around.

Now I'm in California and by common standards have done pretty well for myself. It wasn't a steady course to get here but I have a nice place, friends, interests, decent weather! For the most part, I have confidence and hopefulness.

Yet I do wonder about the sense of community and English life. Would it be different for me now as a "grown up"? I often feel people are "scheduling" me in here. People are so busy, needing to feel productive and active constantly. Not all, but a general feeling. As others have said, a mixed bag. Overall though I'm incredibly grateful about my path here despite some things about America that make me angry (lack of affordable health care, homelessness situation in San Francisco, right wing religious politics, state education system).

But actually when I wrote the gist of it out here, a pretty amazing life. So, je ne regrette rien
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:50 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Only regret is that I didn't get to stay long enough!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

englishtea66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigmattE
No joke at all. I have experienced extreme racism against me here. I really have. Main reason i got out of the US Army. I live in a small German town in the middle of Minnesota. They do not like " outsiders ".
one comment made to my father in laws friend from a co worker was this " You think he is normal till you hear his accent ".

Ie : Cause I am white I look like a typical American till I speak.

I have had a horrid time in this country. I can not wait to get back to Belfast
I know and feel where you are coming from, I moved to the US in 1987 and I still have a accent and I still get stupid questions, this one from my ex husbands Aunt, did you learn to speak english before you moved here... you can only imagine what I was thinking... I also agree there are some friendly and some rude and ignorant people... more rude :-(
Old Mar 5th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Regret moving to the USA? You bet - with bells on!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Rosie - video of Frome in the news today!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...=ILCNETTXT3486
Wow Mallory, have no idea how I missed this, thanks for posting.

I didn't recognise any people but I did remember all of the streets and was shocked at the amount of boarded up shops since I was last there in March 2010.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:36 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow Mallory, have no idea how I missed this, thanks for posting.

I didn't recognise any people but I did remember all of the streets and was shocked at the amount of boarded up shops since I was last there in March 2010.
I accidentally posted it in the wrong place. I thought it would be of interest to you and Rosie.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

It is! I hope they keep the big box store out.
Unfortunately the KEEP TESCOs OUT war is being fought and lost the length and breadth of England & Wales. Nobody can beat their influence, particularly on the members of the local council. Apart from that though, as the article states, there are many locals who do actually want the convenience of having all of their buying needs under one roof and really don't see the damage that a Tesco can wreak in terms of destruction of the existing retail infrastructure.

That said,

In Whitstable there's a Tesco's megastore and free bus access from within Whitstable itself but the existing fishmongers, butchers (5) and greengrocers are still keeping their heads above water. A new fishmonger has recently opened and it has a farmer's market. But then that's Whitstable which has its own special cult following from well-to-do folks down from London like Janet Street-Porter.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 7th 2011 at 1:30 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Unfortunately the KEEP TESCOs OUT war is being fought and lost the length and breadth of England & Wales. Nobody can beat their influence, particularly on the members of the local council. Apart from that though, as the article states, there are many locals who do actually want the convenience of having all of their buying needs under one roof and really don't see the damage that a Tesco can wreak in terms of destruction of the existing retail infrastructure.

That said,

In Whitstable there's a Tesco's megastore and free bus access from within Whitstable itself but the existing fishmongers, butchers (5) and greengrocers are still keeping their heads above water. A new fishmonger has recently opened and it has a farmer's market. But then that's Whitstable which has its own special cult following from well-to-do folks down from London like Janet Street-Porter.
I read recently that 60% of disposable income in the UK is spent at Tesco. Not just on groceries but also in their insurance, banking, car breakdown service, and other multiple divisions. The government does not like this and suggested breaking up their monopoly - or maybe they are just jealous because they cannot run their own services as efficiently.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Lilyliver is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't regret moving to the US, I spent 3 years there, as it has made me much more appreciative of Britain...I moved back home 3 weeks ago and I'm so happy to be back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.