When should we contact USCIS??

Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond reputemickmills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When should we contact USCIS??

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Ok, here's a mini-update:

According to the USCIS website, Norfolk has been processing N400s with an April 6 priority date since February 15. Mark's priority date is March 27 (not March 28 as I'd written earlier) so that means that USCIS should have already worked on his application. But no, we still haven't heard anything.

Mark called the USCIS Helpline on Friday to find out what's going on. They confirmed that Norfolk IS working on N400s with April 6th priority dates, but since it hasn't been 30 days past HIS priority date yet he needs to just sit and wait. The person told him that if he doesn't hear anything about his application in the next 2 weeks (by April 4) that he should call again.

So, in other words, we still have no news.

This is especially annoying since we learned that another BE member going through Norfolk filed his N400 application 7 months AFTER Mark did (and after the fee increase) and already has his interview scheduled. While we're happy for him, obviously it makes us uneasy about why it's taking them so long to process Mark's application. He's got a very straight-forward case: He has no criminal background at all, he hasn't left the country or even moved addresses since moving here in 2003, etc. What could possibly be taking so long?

It irritates me that they just tell Mark to "call back later" when his NOA clearly says, "You should expect to be notified [of the date and place of your interview] within 365 days of this notice." We mailed off his N400 exactly one year ago today, and his priority date reaches its one-year anniversary this Thursday. He should've received an update within 365 days -- not around 365 days or sometime after 365 days.

So we've got forms ready for Mark to sign and fax to Senator Jim Webb if we don't hear anything by April 4. Of course now our biggest worry now is that his interview notice will come in the mail when we're already in the UK on our trip. This is SO annoying.

~ Jenney
Have you tried contacting your congressman instead of your senator? I did after my case had been outstanding for more than 7 months. They were able to tell me that I had cleared name check & was in the Q for an interview. I got my interview letter a couple of weeks later.

I had also sent something to our senator, but the congressman's office was more helpful. The senators office just fobbed me off, saying it may take 18 months (per USCIS website).
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Jenney, what about an InfoPass? Are you close enough to make it worth it?
They would have more information about likely timelines.

And, if the letter comes while you are away, that's OK isn't it? Biometrics are usually set about a month out IIRC; you'll be home by then?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: When should we contact USCIS??

Just be glad he isn't stuck in the infamous "FBI name-check". THat is one big hole to get sucked into without an end in sight! It gets mighty boring to hear "wait, as soon as they clear your name, we'll give you an interview". WoM is on the way

Ok, here's a mini-update:

According to the USCIS website, Norfolk has been processing N400s with an April 6 priority date since February 15. Mark's priority date is March 27 (not March 28 as I'd written earlier) so that means that USCIS should have already worked on his application. But no, we still haven't heard anything.

Mark called the USCIS Helpline on Friday to find out what's going on. They confirmed that Norfolk IS working on N400s with April 6th priority dates, but since it hasn't been 30 days past HIS priority date yet he needs to just sit and wait. The person told him that if he doesn't hear anything about his application in the next 2 weeks (by April 4) that he should call again.

So, in other words, we still have no news.

This is especially annoying since we learned that another BE member going through Norfolk filed his N400 application 7 months AFTER Mark did (and after the fee increase) and already has his interview scheduled. While we're happy for him, obviously it makes us uneasy about why it's taking them so long to process Mark's application. He's got a very straight-forward case: He has no criminal background at all, he hasn't left the country or even moved addresses since moving here in 2003, etc. What could possibly be taking so long?

It irritates me that they just tell Mark to "call back later" when his NOA clearly says, "You should expect to be notified [of the date and place of your interview] within 365 days of this notice." We mailed off his N400 exactly one year ago today, and his priority date reaches its one-year anniversary this Thursday. He should've received an update within 365 days -- not around 365 days or sometime after 365 days.

So we've got forms ready for Mark to sign and fax to Senator Jim Webb if we don't hear anything by April 4. Of course now our biggest worry now is that his interview notice will come in the mail when we're already in the UK on our trip. This is SO annoying.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:50 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Jenney, what about an InfoPass? Are you close enough to make it worth it? They would have more information about likely timelines.
It's a 2-hour drive one-way, so not really feasible. I've asked Mark about making an Infopass; his first response was, "What's an Infopass"! Once I told him, he said he doesn't think we're at that stage yet. If I could do it for him, I totally would, but unfortunately I can't.

And, if the letter comes while you are away, that's OK isn't it? Biometrics are usually set about a month out IIRC; you'll be home by then?
We received Mark's original biometrics appointment in the mail on Monday, April 16 -- the appointment was scheduled for the following Wednesday. That didn't give Mark enough time to ask for the time off so he had to request a new appointment, and the first one he could get was for May 16, a month later.

We fly to England on May 2 and return on May 17. If his N400 interview notice arrives, say, May 5 and is scheduled for the end of the following week, we'll still be in the UK. It's cutting it a bit close. Hence our concern.

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Just be glad he isn't stuck in the infamous "FBI name-check". THat is one big hole to get sucked into without an end in sight! It gets mighty boring to hear "wait, as soon as they clear your name, we'll give you an interview".
Well, that could very well be what it is. The simple fact is that we don't know why it's taking so long.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It's a 2-hour drive one-way, so not really feasible. I've asked Mark about making an Infopass; his first response was, "What's an Infopass"! Once I told him, he said he doesn't think we're at that stage yet. If I could do it for him, I totally would, but unfortunately I can't.

We received Mark's original biometrics appointment in the mail on Monday, April 16 -- the appointment was scheduled for the following Wednesday. That didn't give Mark enough time to ask for the time off so he had to request a new appointment, and the first one he could get was for May 16, a month later.

We fly to England on May 2 and return on May 17. If his N400 interview notice arrives, say, May 5 and is scheduled for the end of the following week, we'll still be in the UK. It's cutting it a bit close. Hence our concern.

Well, that could very well be what it is. The simple fact is that we don't know why it's taking so long.

~ Jenney
It is possible for you to enquire on Mark's behalf via Infopass if Mark writes you an authorisation letter.

Mark could have just gone for his biometrics at his earliest opportunity. They seem to do them pretty much on a walk-in basis, as long as one has the original biometrics appointment letter.

I believe they would not schedule an interview until after the biometrics have been done.

(NB: Jersey missed her interview - it delayed her naturalisation a bit, but she did not have to start again at the beginning.)
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
It is possible for you to enquire on Mark's behalf via Infopass if Mark writes you an authorisation letter.

Mark could have just gone for his biometrics at his earliest opportunity. They seem to do them pretty much on a walk-in basis, as long as one has the original biometrics appointment letter.

I believe they would not schedule an interview until after the biometrics have been done.

(NB: Jersey missed her interview - it delayed her naturalisation a bit, but she did not have to start again at the beginning.)
LOL I'm glad you said 'missed' and not 'cocked the date up'.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:01 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
LOL I'm glad you said 'missed' and not 'cocked the date up'.
Diplomatic is my middle name...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

They usually tell you if you're stuck in name-check so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Diplomatic is my middle name...
That it is...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:05 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the only silver lining is that you won't be caught in the "need a US PP" scramble.

I feel for you.... we submitted Toon's lowly I-751 a month ago and still no official NOA. But of course they cashed the check straightaway.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OK, this is just my speculation, and I haven't been analyzing timelines lately..

Applications go in, are entered into the system, and if N-400, a biometrics appt is generated pretty much immediately, for a fast turnaround (inside 30 days).

Name, security and/or background checks are begun.

An interview notice is not generated until all the checks are cleared (part of their avoid-a-lawsuit strategy).
The interview notices typically give a +30 day lead time before you need to appear.

But do I read this correctly? Mark's got a biometrics appt on May 16 but returns to the US on May 17?
I wonder what this means to the overall processing of his case, in light of the fact that the policy is now to not schedule a naturalization interview until the fingerprint-based namecheck is cleared.

And don't tell me you're going to nitpick over the wording in one of the *letters*?!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:31 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

OK, this is just my speculation, and I haven't been analyzing timelines lately..

Applications go in, are entered into the system, and if N-400, a biometrics appt is generated pretty much immediately, for a fast turnaround (inside 30 days).

Name, security and/or background checks are begun.

An interview notice is not generated until all the checks are cleared (part of their avoid-a-lawsuit strategy).
The interview notices typically give a +30 day lead time before you need to appear.

But do I read this correctly? Mark's got a biometrics appt on May 16 but returns to the US on May 17?
I wonder what this means to the overall processing of his case, in light of the fact that the policy is now to not schedule a naturalization interview until the fingerprint-based namecheck is cleared.

And don't tell me you're going to nitpick over the wording in one of the *letters*?!
Mo,
If I read it correctly, he HAD his biometrics in May of LAST YEAR, right after he sent in his app. Yep, check Jenney's signature............

~SG

Last edited by SecretGarden; Mar 25th 2008 at 5:32 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Mo,
If I read it correctly, he HAD his biometrics in May of LAST YEAR, right after he sent in his app. Yep, check Jenney's signature............

~SG
Oh sure, where've YOU been?! (check your karma).

The letters & numbers are getting too small on this website... :curse:
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:25 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

You're only correct if I'm living in the future and have already received his biometrics appointment notice on April 16th.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

~ Jenney
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:30 pm

You're only correct if I'm living in the future and have already received his biometrics appointment notice on April 16th.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

~ Jenney
But it's August now, right? How was your trip?

Last edited by meauxna; Mar 25th 2008 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.