Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
We only looked at Buderim cos of Mt creek school. been told it's one of the best in the area.. Didnt really want to live on an estate so have been looking in the 'area' for a bit of land. not going well though!

Where in the hills are you? Pm me if you like,need to be about 5 - 10 min drive from Mt Creek school. x Thanks S-j x
Montville - between Maleny and Mapleton. Definitely not in the Mountain Creek catchment area. If you want to know more about good schools in the area I know of a brilliant guide that's available free over the web, but I'm not allowed to say where you can get it from on this website. The ropes are 'urting gov. Seriously, you'll have to email me otherwise they'll chuck me off this bloomin' site.

Paul.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

We only looked at Buderim cos of Mt creek school. been told it's one of the best in the area.. Didnt really want to live on an estate so have been looking in the 'area' for a bit of land. not going well though!

Where in the hills are you? Pm me if you like,need to be about 5 - 10 min drive from Mt Creek school. x Thanks S-j x
The vast amount of Buderim isn't in the Mountain Creek school zone, only the lower parts down near Mountain Creek. Both places are nice but if you can afford somewhere up the top of Buderim it'll be nicer than Mountain Creek.

No community spirit in Mountain Creek whereas Buderim does
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
The vast amount of Buderim isn't in the Mountain Creek school zone, only the lower parts down near Mountain Creek. Both places are nice but if you can afford somewhere up the top of Buderim it'll be nicer than Mountain Creek.

She's already in mate.. Signed a stat dec saying we will be intending on moving into the area.. cos we are migrants the nice lady at the school said we could do this..

will take your advice on the areas. been looking at land prices tonight S-j x
Old Aug 17th 2007, 10:08 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield

Oh, have to disagree with you on that one.

When we moved in, the people along the street had a BBQ for us, about 3/4 BBQ's in the road, tables and plenty of beers. Last street party I ever saw was for the Queens 25th wedding aniversity

The community feel is different because you get more young family's here, and not so many OAP's and that's simply because of the school. Also, Buderum has been around for a good few years, Mountain Creek, I supose about 15. The vibe of the area will always feel different with a larger "older" population like Buderum, because they have more time to be neighbourly.

As I said before, the school will always make MC a younger family place, so a different vide. But no community sprit - na
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Oh, have to disagree with you on that one.

When we moved in, the people along the street had a BBQ for us, about 3/4 BBQ's in the road, tables and plenty of beers. Last street party I ever saw was for the Queens 25th wedding aniversity

The community feel is different because you get more young family's here, and not so many OAP's and that's simply because of the school. Also, Buderum has been around for a good few years, Mountain Creek, I supose about 15. The vibe of the area will always feel different with a larger "older" population like Buderum, because they have more time to be neighbourly.

As I said before, the school will always make MC a younger family place, so a different vide. But no community sprit - na

Where we live in Buderim is (just) within the MC catchment area although we didn't even know that when we bought it

There are kids around where we live but most tend to be senior school age 12+

Our neighbours, poms and aussies are all lovely and really friendly but i have found that people are like this all over the area

I suppose the main difference i have noticed is that there are not so many renting where we live compared to MC probably because rental demand is not so high because it is further from the school

I have met lots of people who live in MC, Buderim etc and all have chosen that area for their own reasons eg schools, work, budget etc

Most of them are really happy here and have found 'community spirit' is alive and well in most areas

Personally we prefer Buderim but had we needed to be nearer the school MC would have been our next choice

Selina
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

Originally Posted by selina
Well guys, here we are 1 year on and loving it!

Both found jobs easily, hubby (painter) works for QBuild on a cushy number

Me (nurse) found work easily and have found climbing the ladder even easier

Our son (18) had a few 'missing UK' moments in the 1st couple of months but now he has found work and a new girlfriend everything is rosy for him

Found a house in Buderim (after 6 months of house hunting) which we bought and moved in Xmas eve!

A few weeks later we found 2 puppies and they seem to make the home complete

We have every weekend off which is one thing we never had in the UK

Spare time is quality time, not rushing about like a nutter time!

however, i've only had 2 weeks off work since we arrived and hubby only 1 week but the abundance of public holidays they have here has compensated for that and neither of us are stressed or knackered for a change!

Have met up with quite a few expats from the site but must admit we have not made much of an effort in making new friends really

Dare i say the next Sunshine Coast meet could be at our place!

The worries over medicals, visas, selling the house, arranging shipping, booking flights, saying goodbyes, transferring money, finding a rental etc are all a distant memory although at the time they were all we could focus on

Now we have 'got a new life' and don't miss the UK at all and have no regrets

To be honest i think we may have had it easy as things have fallen into place for us and i know others have it much harder but being positive and realistic has been our main focus all the way

Anyway good luck to one and all and I wish you happiness in your future wherever you may land

Selina xxx
Fantastic, I wish you a great 2nd, 3rd etc year.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Selina,

THanks for the good and informative read, glad you are enjoying living there and pleased everything has worked out for you..

Thanks again,

S-j xx

Oh the QBuild place, i take it they employ Sparkies?? If they do could you ask your OH if he can test the water for my OH he will be able to work from 1st week in Dec after he's done the CPR and Blue card.

sorry for being cheeky, but got to ask everywhere. dont seem to be getting any replies from anyone we email. He's a contractor back here and used to office, commercial and house stuff.. dosnt do factory though and mines.

If he could do anything we would be really grateful. email address anything...... Thanks x S-j x looking forward to meeting you at the sunshine meet soon. x
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:37 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Hi Selina,

THanks for the good and informative read, glad you are enjoying living there and pleased everything has worked out for you..

Thanks again,

S-j xx

Oh the QBuild place, i take it they employ Sparkies?? If they do could you ask your OH if he can test the water for my OH he will be able to work from 1st week in Dec after he's done the CPR and Blue card.

sorry for being cheeky, but got to ask everywhere. dont seem to be getting any replies from anyone we email. He's a contractor back here and used to office, commercial and house stuff.. dosnt do factory though and mines.

If he could do anything we would be really grateful. email address anything...... Thanks x S-j x looking forward to meeting you at the sunshine meet soon. x
Hi, not sure where you are on your Aus target date, but even if your husband has been through the TRA application in UK, he will have to go through the same thing when he gets here, and that takes time.

He will have to start as a TA, still lots of work around for them, but the pennies not so high, and expect to have to travel to Brisbane for the work. Have a search on Expats for info on the TRA and what they expect and how long. Off the top of my head, the application requires previous info from former companies and detailed work expansions on how your husband did his job, what tools he would use etc. Once you get the nod from the TRA, I think you get a temporary license. Then it a six month course (one night a week) for there rules and an exam at the end of it, and your there

As a TA, the work can be very basic, just depends on the company and how much they need experienced sparks.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Hi, not sure where you are on your Aus target date, but even if your husband has been through the TRA application in UK, he will have to go through the same thing when he gets here, and that takes time.

He will have to start as a TA, still lots of work around for them, but the pennies not so high, and expect to have to travel to Brisbane for the work. Have a search on Expats for info on the TRA and what they expect and how long. Off the top of my head, the application requires previous info from former companies and detailed work expansions on how your husband did his job, what tools he would use etc. Once you get the nod from the TRA, I think you get a temporary license. Then it a six month course (one night a week) for there rules and an exam at the end of it, and your there

As a TA, the work can be very basic, just depends on the company and how much they need experienced sparks.
Cheers Jc, Done TRA and Sent ARTC off already from UK, will collect when arrive. Have sorted out the CPR and Bluecard from UK, will only take a day to do, then there is a quickie course for the Queensland licence, you dont need to go to TAFE it just takes too long. if you pay about $1300 you can do it privately takes a fraction of the time, will wait till after Sept as new regs coming out on the books too.. then bobs yer uncle.(more or less). xx

We're just lookin for a job where he can work 'supervised' he can still do most of the stuff he does in UK but will need his work checking a few times in the day. no biggie really, just not sure how the Aussies look at this.. He will do what he's got to do while he's waiting for his licence but i understand it he needs to work in the trade so he can get his jobs ticked off.. bit like JIB?? Correct me if i'm wrong.(it does happen) x Thanks for taking the time, S-j x would be nice to meet at the SC meet. Are you a sparky too??
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:19 am
Banned

Cheers Jc, Done TRA and Sent ARTC off already from UK, will collect when arrive. Have sorted out the CPR and Bluecard from UK, will only take a day to do, then there is a quickie course for the Queensland licence, you dont need to go to TAFE it just takes too long. if you pay about $1300 you can do it privately takes a fraction of the time, will wait till after Sept as new regs coming out on the books too.. then bobs yer uncle.(more or less). xx

We're just lookin for a job where he can work 'supervised' he can still do most of the stuff he does in UK but will need his work checking a few times in the day. no biggie really, just not sure how the Aussies look at this.. He will do what he's got to do while he's waiting for his licence but i understand it he needs to work in the trade so he can get his jobs ticked off.. bit like JIB?? Correct me if i'm wrong.(it does happen) x Thanks for taking the time, S-j x would be nice to meet at the SC meet. Are you a sparky too??
Yes, I'm a sparks by trade, but Im now in Telecoms where I've been working for a good few years in the UK. I came on a spouse visa and started the TRA thing when I got here, and what a f"@#$ing pain it is :curse:

I was sparking here for about a year, and all the Pom sparks I meet that come over on a trade visa have had to re-apply with the TRA once over here again. This pi$$ed many off, as you would expect.

Now, this could be just a Queensland TRA requirement, but I would recommend you try and find a bit more about that. Not sure about paying 1300 and doing a "quicky course", again, the sparks I meet were doing the six month course (one night a week) and as you say, filling in a daily work report, getting signed etc. But I'm sure there is a six month requirement on this period, so whether you do a quicky course or not, you are still on a temporary licence until finished.

Oh, one other thing, the sparks are split into fitter and maintenance, if you can fudge it, try to get your OM both, will give you more flexibility in the long run

Good luck..........
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers me dears,,, hope to see you soon!! OH keen to meet other Tradies..

S-j xx