Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold
Default 1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Well guys, here we are 1 year on and loving it!

Both found jobs easily, hubby (painter) works for QBuild on a cushy number

Me (nurse) found work easily and have found climbing the ladder even easier

Our son (18) had a few 'missing UK' moments in the 1st couple of months but now he has found work and a new girlfriend everything is rosy for him

Found a house in Buderim (after 6 months of house hunting) which we bought and moved in Xmas eve!

A few weeks later we found 2 puppies and they seem to make the home complete

We have every weekend off which is one thing we never had in the UK

Spare time is quality time, not rushing about like a nutter time!

however, i've only had 2 weeks off work since we arrived and hubby only 1 week but the abundance of public holidays they have here has compensated for that and neither of us are stressed or knackered for a change!

Have met up with quite a few expats from the site but must admit we have not made much of an effort in making new friends really

Dare i say the next Sunshine Coast meet could be at our place!

The worries over medicals, visas, selling the house, arranging shipping, booking flights, saying goodbyes, transferring money, finding a rental etc are all a distant memory although at the time they were all we could focus on

Now we have 'got a new life' and don't miss the UK at all and have no regrets

To be honest i think we may have had it easy as things have fallen into place for us and i know others have it much harder but being positive and realistic has been our main focus all the way

Anyway good luck to one and all and I wish you happiness in your future wherever you may land

Selina xxx
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Wishing you every happiness, thanks for posting
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Good post May you carry on enjoying life down under
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:43 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

thats great selina!!!please please please keep posting how your progress is going, as this is the area egg and I want to end up, so any info about buderim and sourrounding areas would be great.
sounds like everything is going really well for you
bec
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi a great read and glad everything has worked out so well. Best wishes to you and yours. Thanks for sharing.

Donna & Neil
Old Jun 27th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Too easy ay!

Like yourselves we have found that everything has dropped into place. We've been here since October and I can't believe how quick it's gone

Can't wait for it to warm up though :-))

Last edited by kevinbloomfield; Jun 27th 2007 at 11:43 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: 1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Originally Posted by selina

Our son (18) had a few 'missing UK' moments in the 1st couple of months but now he has found work and a new girlfriend everything is rosy for him

Found a house in Buderim (after 6 months of house hunting) which we bought and moved in Xmas eve!

however, i've only had 2 weeks off work since we arrived and hubby only 1 week but the abundance of public holidays they have here has compensated for that and neither of us are stressed or knackered for a change!

Have met up with quite a few expats from the site but must admit we have not made much of an effort in making new friends really

The worries over medicals, visas, selling the house, arranging shipping, booking flights, saying goodbyes, transferring money, finding a rental etc are all a distant memory although at the time they were all we could focus on

To be honest i think we may have had it easy as things have fallen into place for us and i know others have it much harder but being positive and realistic has been our main focus all the way

Anyway good luck to one and all and I wish you happiness in your future wherever you may land

Selina xxx
Fab post !!

I can only hope our move reflects yours

After all the things you have to go through Visas, Shipping etc.... It's great that at the end of all of that stress and worry you have a brilliant new life

Zo
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Great post, long may your happy life continue.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

I'm thinking about becoming a Q-build member ,I've looked into it abit and not too sure?? I'll have to have a site meeting with youre OH at the Tavern to talk things over

Aye up Kev ! see you at the w'end..

Its our 1 year bash this week to!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

Great post!!

Glad you have settled in well and enjoying your 'new life', we can't wait to be in the same boat!!

Sara x
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:04 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Selina xxx

it's great to hear such a positive post , there have been many people who are going home after a short while in Australia so this is a refreshing change.

MORE MORE MORE !!!!!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SBUK
I'm thinking about becoming a Q-build member ,I've looked into it abit and not too sure?? I'll have to have a site meeting with youre OH at the Tavern to talk things over

Aye up Kev ! see you at the w'end..

Its our 1 year bash this week to!!
Hubby (neil) works with QBuild through and agency

QBuild would only pay him $19 ph on their books but the agency pay him $27 so big difference there

however, with QBuild direct you would get 5 weeks holiday and RDO every month plus 12+% super, plus paid public holidays with loading

i suppose you need to work out which is the best way to go really

send me PM if you want to have a chat with him about it

selina
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:30 am
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point

Selina xxx
Hi Selena,

Great to hear that you're loving the Sunshine Coast. Me and my OH are moving to the Sunshine Coast too. After reading so many mixed reports about people emigrating to Oz - whether they like/dislike it etc, it's really encouraging to read your post. I've been sponsored by a firm in the Sunshine Coast. Just waiting for Visa to come through and all being well we should be there by the end of the year....... fingers crossed !

All the best for you and your family... sue x
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

lungie2oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jerzo
Fab post !!

I can only hope our move reflects yours

After all the things you have to go through Visas, Shipping etc.... It's great that at the end of all of that stress and worry you have a brilliant new life

Zo
I am going through my TRA at the moment and just cant wait for an answer one way or the other.............any pointers
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Sent you a PM sweetheart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.