British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   1 year in, on the Sunshine coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/1-year-sunshine-coast-461350/)

selina Jun 26th 2007 9:08 am

1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Well guys, here we are 1 year on and loving it!

Both found jobs easily, hubby (painter) works for QBuild on a cushy number

Me (nurse) found work easily and have found climbing the ladder even easier

Our son (18) had a few 'missing UK' moments in the 1st couple of months but now he has found work and a new girlfriend everything is rosy for him

Found a house in Buderim (after 6 months of house hunting) which we bought and moved in Xmas eve!

A few weeks later we found 2 puppies and they seem to make the home complete

We have every weekend off which is one thing we never had in the UK

Spare time is quality time, not rushing about like a nutter time!

however, i've only had 2 weeks off work since we arrived and hubby only 1 week but the abundance of public holidays they have here has compensated for that and neither of us are stressed or knackered for a change!

Have met up with quite a few expats from the site but must admit we have not made much of an effort in making new friends really

Dare i say the next Sunshine Coast meet could be at our place!

The worries over medicals, visas, selling the house, arranging shipping, booking flights, saying goodbyes, transferring money, finding a rental etc are all a distant memory although at the time they were all we could focus on

Now we have 'got a new life' and don't miss the UK at all and have no regrets

To be honest i think we may have had it easy as things have fallen into place for us and i know others have it much harder but being positive and realistic has been our main focus all the way

Anyway good luck to one and all and I wish you happiness in your future wherever you may land

Selina xxx

marvinc Jun 26th 2007 11:44 am

Re: 1 year in, on the Sunshine coast

Wishing you every happiness, thanks for posting :)

mad city fan Jun 26th 2007 4:00 pm

Good post :thumbup: May you carry on enjoying life down under ;)

egghead4 Jun 26th 2007 8:43 pm

thats great selina!!!please please please keep posting how your progress is going, as this is the area egg and I want to end up, so any info about buderim and sourrounding areas would be great.
sounds like everything is going really well for you
bec:thumbsup:

Donna&Neil Jun 26th 2007 9:33 pm

Hi a great read and glad everything has worked out so well. Best wishes to you and yours. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Donna & Neil

kevinbloomfield Jun 27th 2007 11:42 am

Too easy ay!

Like yourselves we have found that everything has dropped into place. We've been here since October and I can't believe how quick it's gone

Can't wait for it to warm up though :-))

jerzo Jun 27th 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by selina (Post 4970194)

Our son (18) had a few 'missing UK' moments in the 1st couple of months but now he has found work and a new girlfriend everything is rosy for him

Found a house in Buderim (after 6 months of house hunting) which we bought and moved in Xmas eve!

however, i've only had 2 weeks off work since we arrived and hubby only 1 week but the abundance of public holidays they have here has compensated for that and neither of us are stressed or knackered for a change!

Have met up with quite a few expats from the site but must admit we have not made much of an effort in making new friends really

The worries over medicals, visas, selling the house, arranging shipping, booking flights, saying goodbyes, transferring money, finding a rental etc are all a distant memory although at the time they were all we could focus on

To be honest i think we may have had it easy as things have fallen into place for us and i know others have it much harder but being positive and realistic has been our main focus all the way

Anyway good luck to one and all and I wish you happiness in your future wherever you may land

Selina xxx

Fab post !! :rofl:

I can only hope our move reflects yours :thumbup:

After all the things you have to go through Visas, Shipping etc.... It's great that at the end of all of that stress and worry you have a brilliant new life :eek::eek:

Zo ;)

MOONLIGHT Jun 27th 2007 9:40 pm

:thumbsup:Great post, long may your happy life continue.:thumbsup:

SBUK Jun 28th 2007 12:02 am

I'm thinking about becoming a Q-build member :confused: ,I've looked into it abit and not too sure?? I'll have to have a site meeting with youre OH at the Tavern to talk things over :)

Aye up Kev ! see you at the w'end..

Its our 1 year bash this week to!!

godfrey family-lets go! Jun 28th 2007 8:00 am

Great post!!

Glad you have settled in well and enjoying your 'new life', we can't wait to be in the same boat!!

Sara x

Issie Jun 28th 2007 8:04 am

Selina xxx

it's great to hear such a positive post , there have been many people who are going home after a short while in Australia so this is a refreshing change.

MORE MORE MORE !!!!!

selina Jun 28th 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by SBUK (Post 4978513)
I'm thinking about becoming a Q-build member :confused: ,I've looked into it abit and not too sure?? I'll have to have a site meeting with youre OH at the Tavern to talk things over :)

Aye up Kev ! see you at the w'end..

Its our 1 year bash this week to!!

Hubby (neil) works with QBuild through and agency

QBuild would only pay him $19 ph on their books but the agency pay him $27 so big difference there

however, with QBuild direct you would get 5 weeks holiday and RDO every month plus 12+% super, plus paid public holidays with loading

i suppose you need to work out which is the best way to go really

send me PM if you want to have a chat with him about it

selina

Sue Stockport Jun 28th 2007 11:30 am

Selina xxx

Hi Selena,

Great to hear that you're loving the Sunshine Coast. Me and my OH are moving to the Sunshine Coast too. After reading so many mixed reports about people emigrating to Oz - whether they like/dislike it etc, it's really encouraging to read your post. I've been sponsored by a firm in the Sunshine Coast. Just waiting for Visa to come through and all being well we should be there by the end of the year....... fingers crossed !

All the best for you and your family... sue x

lungie2oz Jun 28th 2007 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by jerzo (Post 4975691)
Fab post !! :rofl:

I can only hope our move reflects yours :thumbup:

After all the things you have to go through Visas, Shipping etc.... It's great that at the end of all of that stress and worry you have a brilliant new life :eek::eek:

Zo ;)

I am going through my TRA at the moment and just cant wait for an answer one way or the other.............any pointers

SBUK Jun 29th 2007 6:53 am

Sent you a PM sweetheart :)