Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WTF in America Part 2

WTF in America Part 2

Old Sep 19th 2023, 12:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America Part 2

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well that was where United Biscuits delivered its products, I just picked orders and loaded the lorries, and orders were marked by the shop and the specific location, which was either a town, or a suburb/ area of a larger city. Small towns only had a Gateway, or a Co-op, larger places had Tesco, Sainsbury's, Somerfield, Safeway, etc.

Smaller shops and shops in small towns (most Co-ops, plus Spar, VG, etc.) received their orders in a van with shelves in it, so 15-20 orders were all stacked together and the delivery driver removed individual boxes and used a hand dolly to deliver them inside, so I never saw the names/ locations of the small shops, but anywhere from Worcester to Penzance or Swansea that had a Sainsbury's or Tesco, I remember because of the orders I picked and loaded.
Ah, got it now.

You should have teamed up with David Nobbs. I reckon that would work quite well in a novel. He already wrote the biscuit factory sitcom Rich Tea and Sympathy and there are similarities with Dogfood Dan and the Carmarthen Cowboy.
Old Sep 19th 2023, 12:40 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had a biscuit factory.
Old Sep 19th 2023, 1:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Working there was an interesting experience, on several levels. Working nights, the people I worked with, the warehouse staff v drivers tension (there was little love lost there!*), the sheer quantities of food that were delivered twice a week to large supermarkets, week after week.

* I was actually fairly popular with the drivers as I stacked tidy pallets, and wrapped them well with plastic. One day I loaded the 40ft artic for the driver's shop steward, and at the end of the day, having driven Gloucester to Plymouth and back, he came into the warehouse office and asked who had picked and loaded his deliveries as he wanted to go and thank them! .... He was generally known to be short-tempered and difficult, so this in itself was unusual.

The charge hand (deputy foreman) who was a friend of mine, having trained me on my first day, told him who was responsible for his load. His face fell, he said nothing, and he turned and left the building, got in his car and drove away.

The charge hand told me what happened, as he felt I deserved to know that I had done good work, and we both had a good laugh at the drivers shop steward because he had proved what we knew, that he was an a-hole. And his beef with me was that he hated temps, as they were non-union, and he could not bring himself to thank a non-union worker for a job well done.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 19th 2023 at 1:41 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2023, 11:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
My mum worked in a biscuit factory. We used to get big boxes of seconds. Club orange were my favourite.
Old Sep 24th 2023, 12:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
My mum worked in a biscuit factory. We used to get big boxes of seconds. Club orange were my favourite.
Hey mister. Have you got any broken biscuits?
Yes, sonny.
Well you should be more careful then.
Old Sep 24th 2023, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our Club..
Old Sep 24th 2023, 12:19 am
Oscar nominated

You should be able to get them. They have them up here in a few places. I liked the Fruit ones as they were very like Tiffin bars and Raisin and Biscuit Yorkie bars but only orange club available.

I bought a box from Amazon once.
Old Sep 24th 2023, 1:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day, we lived in York. I worked at Terrys, my wife worked at Rowntrees. The amount of chocolate we ate was prodigious.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 1:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Back in the day, we lived in York. I worked at Terrys, my wife worked at Rowntrees. The amount of chocolate we ate was prodigious.
Terry's belonged to United Biscuits when I worked there. The UB warehouse wasn't a main distribution channel, but we did deliver to the supermarkets that we delivered biscuits, crisps and peanuts to.

And nobody in the warehouse touched the Terry's - it was a firing offence, as one guy found out. Very little was damaged, as everything was delivered in robust cages, but damages were returned to the factory, not sold to employees.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hey mister. Have you got any broken biscuits? .....
Having worked in a biscuit warehouse, I can assure you that it's a miracle that any biscuits arrive in one piece.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2023 at 1:41 am.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 10:05 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea that BE was such a biscuit and chocolate powerhouse.
Old Sep 26th 2023, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I had no idea that BE was such a biscuit and chocolate powerhouse.
Wafer thin in the scheme of things.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 7:33 pm

That didn't take long!

NC man has his Mustang confiscated the day after he bought it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2023 at 8:27 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 12:05 am
Oscar nominated

You don't need to know anything about mechanical things as a catalytic converter is not a mechanical device, it's about chemistry...So to your question, why steal a cat? The catalyst in a car's catalytic converter is comprised of platinum and rhodium, which is rarer and more valuable than platinum. .... The amounts of these precious metals are very small, but if you can find a dodgy scrap deal to take a cat, it's worth a few bucks.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
So not about car parts for cars then. Thanks.

Funnily enough, after posting the question I read in my newspaper that the theft reports in these parts doubled last year compared to 2021.
So while not new, the increase certainly is.
I had just been thinking of it as parts for cars and dodgy mechanics, but it appears unrelated and is just another crime to get money like stripping copper stuff.
Further to this...
California family members plead guilty to role in $600m catalytic converter ring
Catalytic converters are easily stolen and contain precious metals including platinum.

“Some of these precious metals are more valuable per ounce than gold, and their value has been increasing in recent years,” the US attorney’s office said. “The black-market price for catalytic converters can be above $1,000 each.”
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

Oops...
Woman returns from vacation to find family home mistakenly demolished
Susan Hodgson said in an interview Saturday with the Associated Press that she found a pile of rubble in place of what used to be her longtime family property when she returned from vacation last month.

“I am furious,” Hodgson said. “I keep waking up thinking, ‘Is this all a joke or something?’ I’m just in shock.”

She said a neighbor called her while she was away and asked if someone had been hired to tear down the vacant house.

“I said ‘no’ and she said, ‘Well, there’s someone over here who just demolished the whole house and tore it all down,’” Hodgson recalled.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 10:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

That didn't take long!

NC man has his Mustang confiscated the day after he bought it.
Not available in my country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.