Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Charlie Hebdo shooting in France

Difficult to find the offending cartoons, you would have thought they would have been everywhere.

Think this is one.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Islam does not inherently make females inferior.
It is common for the religion to be interpreted such as to entrench gender inequality in the majority of Muslim countries.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
And the US government tacitly support the Saudi's in their oppressive patriarchal regime for financial and political interest - then the media get to say the Saudi's are oppressive, and then everyone generalises that to all Muslims are bad ... and so the cycle continues.

It works both ways.
I'm not disagreeing that "all" western governments turned a blind eye but the Saudi government supported the hard line madrasas in Saudi Arabia and around the world that brainwashed the public thinking that would keep them in power but then those educated in the madrasas turned on the Saudis.

Every country has a hardline faction but every Muslim country has a majority that supports strict adherence to Shari law.

Majorities of Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan support the death penalty for leaving Islam - The Washington Post

New Pew Research Center Study Examines Political and Social Beliefs of Muslims - Alicia Powe

But on the other hand, if it is not their form of extremism, they are now getting concerned.

Concerns about Islamic Extremism on the Rise in Middle East | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hotscot
It is common for the religion to be interpreted such as to entrench gender inequality in the majority of Muslim countries.
Which Muslim countries are the minorities?
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You said inherently.

It was actually way ahead of Christianity until recent times, as Hoffage pointed out.

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Genesis 3:16

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jan 7th 2015 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

You said inherently.

It was actually way ahead of Christianity until recent times, as Hoffage pointed out.

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Genesis 3:16
Sure if you go back to its foundings then it may well compare favourably.

Times have changed.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I say inherently because although Muhammad granted females rights that they didn't have in earlier times his interpretations/teaching made it clear that females were unequal to males.

And regarding Christianity, at least secular Governments have granted equality rights to women that wouldn't have been attributed under Christianity alone.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 7th 2015 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Which Muslim countries are the minorities?
Was leaving the door open...
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I say inherently because although Muhammad granted females rights that they didn't have in earlier times his interpretations/teaching made it clear that females were unequal to males.
What exactly has this got to do with the question at hand? Islam = bad. So what do you do? Work on female equality, which is far from a given in many non-Muslim countries? Ban Islam? Stop migration of Muslims? Genuinely not seeing the connection.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And regarding Christianity, at least secular Governments have granted equality rights to women that wouldn't have been attributed under Christianity alone.
Like I said, our interventions have tended to overturn secular governments and actually lead to radicalisation.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

What exactly has this got to do with the question at hand? Islam = bad. So what do you do? Work on female equality, which is far from a given in many non-Muslim countries? Ban Islam? Stop migration of Muslims? Genuinely not seeing the connection.
My money would be on do nothing.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wasn't suggesting any solution. My point was in response to Hoffage. That in my opinion Islam was indeed bad due to its entrenchment of female inequality, similar to some other religions.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Like I said, our interventions have tended to overturn secular governments and actually lead to radicalisation.
That's also true.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4i8...rwhelmed.0.png

Difficult to find the offending cartoons, you would have thought they would have been everywhere.

Think this is one.

I have had one of them posted up by one of my facebook friends. I think I'll refrain from reposting it here though. You never know LOL
Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:33 pm
Horrid Yank

manekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond reputemanekeniko has a reputation beyond repute

Islam is in its dark ages. I refrained from posting this at FB because I have a couple of Muslim friends that I do like.

Sad, sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.