Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by Christian
At this point I was somewhat ticked myself, so I said ‘Paris’.
Superb.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Christian
I tell no word of a lie, the same happened to me up in London. (I knew nothing of Canada or America back then ... save for Bonanza on the telly). I was asked by two American youths —circa my age at the time— with rucksacks, probably ‘Doing Europe for the summer’. So I pointed out the subway to them. They walked to the other side, came out, then walked back to where I was still waiting for a bus ... and then proceeded to become VERY shirty about it. I didn't know what they were on about, until one actually said ‘They call it the metro here’ —as if ... — and he then made a stab at French —don't ask me why— by attempting to say: Où est le métro? At this point I was somewhat ticked myself, so I said ‘Paris’.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Houston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Craig...pronounced in the US Creg.

I think I may have got confused and posted in the wrong thread.
As a Creg recently moved to the US this is the frieken bain of my life, (frieken, there's a good one). "Can I have a name for the order sir?" "Craig", "Jake?" I try hard to say the Creg thing but either my mind can't bring myself to pronounce my own name wrongly or I just need to work on it more.

Pronouncing middle t as ds is a challenge but I'm getting there. I agree with those who say we should be pronouncing words the American way and using American words that are different from British ones. You wouldn't move to Spain and refuse to speak Spanish. What bugs me though is people (adults) who have lived here for 10 minutes and have developed a ridiculous mid atlantic accent, that just isn't necessary. I know many people who have lived here for 15 years, have a British accent and have no problems with communication, it just takes practice. I say adults because kids are different, I fully expect my dodders to have American accents within the year. They just won't survive at school without it.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Houston Bound
As a Creg recently moved to the US this is the frieken bain of my life, (frieken, there's a good one). "Can I have a name for the order sir?" "Craig", "Jake?" I try hard to say the Creg thing but either my mind can't bring myself to pronounce my own name wrongly or I just need to work on it more.

Pronouncing middle t as ds is a challenge but I'm getting there. I agree with those who say we should be pronouncing words the American way and using American words that are different from British ones. You wouldn't move to Spain and refuse to speak Spanish. What bugs me though is people (adults) who have lived here for 10 minutes and have developed a ridiculous mid atlantic accent, that just isn't necessary. I know many people who have lived here for 15 years, have a British accent and have no problems with communication, it just takes practice. I say adults because kids are different, I fully expect my dodders to have American accents within the year. They just won't survive at school without it.
I know people with ridiculous American names who go into Starbucks and when they ask their name they say 'Mary' or something equally plain just to stop the huh???
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - my name is Robin pronounced English fashion with two short syllables. Sorry, but I'm not going to say my name Raaaaah-bin just so locals may possibly recognize it as a name.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Pronouncing middle t as ds is a challenge but I'm getting there. I agree with those who say we should be pronouncing words the American way and using American words that are different from British ones. You wouldn't move to Spain and refuse to speak Spanish.
That analogy only works up to a point, though. I live in Germany at the moment, so obviously I speak German all the time. Yet, even though I am fluent to the point of having near native competency, because it is not my mother tongue I will never be able to communicate with a German in their language on quite the same level as I can communicate with an American, even if I don't make allowances for American English. Ultimately the goal is to communicate, so, I agree, you make changes that are necessary to do so effectively, but I don't really think it is rude to keep saying 'water' instead of 'wadder'.

What bugs me though is people (adults) who have lived here for 10 minutes and have developed a ridiculous mid atlantic accent, that just isn't necessary. I know many people who have lived here for 15 years, have a British accent and have no problems with communication, it just takes practice.
Here I don't think it's a question of necessity. Some people pick up accents at the drop of a hat, without trying. Some never change.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
...but I don't really think it is rude to keep saying 'water' instead of 'wadder'.
You might change your mind when you get stuck into a loop for 15 minutes asking for a glass of the stuff
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
You might change your mind when you get stuck into a loop for 15 minutes asking for a glass of the stuff
True!

Until now I've never had trouble when asking for water, but oddly enough, I usually have to repeat 'lemonade' a few times. I think it is because I say lemon-ADE, rather than LEM-onade (don't know if that's a British thing or just a me thing!) and it seems to throw people off. I do try and remember to change the emphasis, but end up forgetting all the same.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Is that an east coast thing? I haven't noticed people saying it that way here.

Fun unfolded on my sister's first trip to Chicago though, when she confused a waiter by asking for a Mountain Dew, but in her Belfast accent he must have thought she was trying to order some sort of high altitude Rabbi. Once he finally understood her, it turned out they didn't have any in the first place
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Houston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
True!

Until now I've never had trouble when asking for water, but oddly enough, I usually have to repeat 'lemonade' a few times. I think it is because I say lemon-ADE, rather than LEM-onade (don't know if that's a British thing or just a me thing!) and it seems to throw people off. I do try and remember to change the emphasis, but end up forgetting all the same.
I had a complete nightmare asking for butter in Ihop when I first got here, you live and learn
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Fun unfolded on my sister's first trip to Chicago though, when she confused a waiter by asking for a Mountain Dew, but in her Belfast accent he must have thought she was trying to order some sort of high altitude Rabbi. Once he finally understood her, it turned out they didn't have any in the first place
Can't speak for the East Coast but it's definately the way they say things here in Texas. I had a similar experience in Papa Deux, asked for a boddle of Dos Equis and the waitress didn't understand. This time though I think it's because she was new, when I eventually got her to understand what I was asking for she didn't know if they sold it or not. I tried to tell her they did but she had to go and check anyway. Happy ending though, I got my Dos Equis evenually.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I've definitely altered my pronunciation of that to Mountain Do. I drink gallons of the stuff .
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for the East Coast but it's definately the way they say things here in Texas. I had a similar experience in Papa Deux, asked for a boddle of Dos Equis and the waitress didn't understand. This time though I think it's because she was new, when I eventually got her to understand what I was asking for she didn't know if they sold it or not. I tried to tell her they did but she had to go and check anyway. Happy ending though, I got my Dos Equis evenually.
Even then, how the hell can they not know it is water irrespective of how it is said? Now I'm worried that in my NI accent I do make the 't' sound like a 'd'

How did you say the Spanish 'Dos Equis' in a way that the waitress didn't understand you?? Spanish is pretty regular in it's rules of pronounciation so she must have been rather thick
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Even then, how the hell can they not know it is water irrespective of how it is said? Now I'm worried that in my NI accent I do make the 't' sound like a 'd'

How did you say the Spanish 'Dos Equis' in a way that the waitress didn't understand you?? Spanish is pretty regular in it's rules of pronounciation so she must have been rather thick
Don't know but I find if I pronounce things propertly it just doesn't work. As for the Dos Equis thing, I think she had just never heard of it therefore had no idea what I was tlaking about, doubt that was an accent thing. Either that or the fact I said in a broad Glasgow accent, "eeehhhh Ah'l huv a 2 exes please doll !!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.