Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Old Mar 27th 2024, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
This one appears decidedly odd to me; I have had a 'digitised' signature (albeit one made in blue ink) that I've been using for 20+ years, accepted by just about everyone, y inclus both Swiss and Belgian authorities.

I was damned sure that I'd used it previously for interactions with adventurepark.gov.uk as well in the past but ...

So, some more damn expenditure; wot's wrong with blue ink
I agree but is often stated on official forms that it must be black ink. I think it may be an hangover from photo copiers coming in as in the early days I seem to remember they didn't copy colours other than black well? Probably officialdom hasn't caught up with technology.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 8:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I agree but is often stated on official forms that it must be black ink. I think it may be an hangover from photo copiers coming in as in the early days I seem to remember they didn't copy colours other than black well? Probably officialdom hasn't caught up with technology.
In the government department I worked in we were told it was that blue ink was more likely to fade than black. For this reason we were supplied with black ink pens.
I was actually reprimanded once for not using the official pens.
Old Mar 27th 2024, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In the government department I worked in we were told it was that blue ink was more likely to fade than black. For this reason we were supplied with black ink pens.
I was actually reprimanded once for not using the official pens.
Rules are rules I guess they don't necessarily make sense or keep up with technology. I seem to remember in the military sing told that senior officers over a certain rank wrote in green ink, junior officers in blue ink other ranks black ink?

Old Mar 27th 2024, 9:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Rules are rules I guess they don't necessarily make sense or keep up with technology. I seem to remember in the military sing told that senior officers over a certain rank wrote in green ink, junior officers in blue ink other ranks black ink?
I've just splashed out by ordering online some black ink (shudder) refills for both my fountain and roller pens.

Old Mar 27th 2024, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jakeinaka is an unknown quantity at this point

My take on this would be that now you've been accepted as an eligible legitimate voter by your ex-local authority, phase 1 is thumbs-up.

Now for moving to phase 2 we are invited to return to that wondrous adventure park of gov.uk vis-a-vis "d'ya want postal or proxy?" - the "punk" addition is implicit here.
Well I sent a mail to my local authority and was shocked to get a reply the same day,
On your overseas application form, you have stated your previous UK address as ******* *********** *********.

Please use this as your address in the UK. Please indicate on the application that you wish your postal vote to be sent to your overseas address.

That seems to be the solution, seems a bit sketchy to me but hey ho, I'll try it.
Thankfully I have a black pen
Old Mar 27th 2024, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've just splashed out by ordering online some black ink (shudder) refills for both my fountain and roller pens.

Hopefully that does it for you. I just used a black biro and it was accepted on second attempt. At least it was just a photo attachment on an e mail rather than snail mail. My local authority in UK Morpeth Northumberland have always been helpful to date.