Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Old Jan 16th 2024, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Voting rights in UK after 15 years

A friend has just sent me a message saying that the 15 year rule after which one is not allowed to vote in UK elections has been abolished.
Is it true?
I've seen nothing in the press about it.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Yes its true - I had an email this morning from UK Gov - Embassy madridSpread the word! More Brits in Spain can now vote in the UK

Madrid, Tuesday 16 January 2024

British citizens living abroad are now eligible to register to vote in UK general elections, regardless of how long they’ve been living outside the UK. A new law has removed the previous 15-year time limit.

Supporting the awareness raising campaign of the UK’s Electoral Commission, the British Embassy in Madrid is calling on British residents living in Spain to check if they are eligible. The Commission is the independent and impartial organisation that oversees elections in the UK.

Those who have previously lived in or been registered to vote in the UK now have the right to vote in UK Parliament elections. They can register online at www.gov.uk/registertovote and will need to confirm their personal information every three years. Anyone on a UK electoral register is also considered a permissible donor to UK political parties and campaigners.

British Ambassador to Spain, Hugh Elliott said:

“This law means that more British citizens living in Spain will now be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary elections, which is good news. We’re asking the British community here to help us spread the word, because it’s important that eligible people are made aware of the changes so that they can register and cast a ballot when the time comes.”

It only takes five minutes to register and voting can be done by post or by proxy. Applicants will need to provide details of the address and time they were last registered or resident. Local authorities must be able to verify an applicant’s identity and past connection to the area.

More information is available on the Electoral Commission’s website. Voters living overseas can find contact details for the relevant local council by entering the postcode of the last place they lived in the UK, using the Commission’s postcode lookup tool.

Old Jan 16th 2024, 10:45 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
A friend has just sent me a message saying that the 15 year rule after which one is not allowed to vote in UK elections has been abolished.
Is it true?
I've seen nothing in the press about it.
True, in the press now

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...31/expats.html
Old Jan 16th 2024, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I got an email confirming the change this morning also registration to vote is only required every 3 years rather than every year. I only renewed mine 2 weeks ago so presume I will have to renew next year and then it will be 3 years after that. I always get a reminder anyway when I need to renew.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67993306
Old Jan 16th 2024, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

So you pack up and migrate to a new country and want the right in the country you left? Thats a bit cake and eat it in my opinion...when you leave your leave your right to vote behind.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So you pack up and migrate to a new country and want the right in the country you left? Thats a bit cake and eat it in my opinion...when you leave your leave your right to vote behind.
And then a vote takes place that seriously affects your situation and status.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 4:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
And then a vote takes place that seriously affects your situation and status.
Not being able to vote on Brexit for example!

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 16th 2024 at 4:10 pm. Reason: Corrected quote
Old Jan 16th 2024, 4:37 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Go through the Electoral website stuff, if you 'pass' verification it will hand you off to your local constituency website, they will subsequently get in touch.

Knowing that the change was coming, I went through this in November 2023 and received the following from 'my local' CC:

Good morning,

Thank you for your recent overseas registration.

At present the law has not been changed to votes for life for overseas voters (this law changes in 2024)

As you left the UK in 1992 longer than 15 years ago we are unable to register you at present as an overseas voter.

However we will keep your email address on file and contact you once you are able to register.

Kind Regards,

Name Withheld Obviously

Electoral Services Officer

Directorate for Deputy Chief Executive

Buckinghamshire Council
Note to Fred James - and this is not sour grapes - this whole thing is way bigger than Brexit.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as people like myself pay most of their tax to the UK why shouldn't we be allowed to vote for who spends that and make financial decisions that may affect them? If you don't wish to vote then this change doesn't affect that just don't apply to vote .

Last edited by bobd22; Jan 16th 2024 at 4:44 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
Not being able to vote on Brexit for example!
I'm not sure this would change that Fred. As it was a referendum they specified who could and couldn't vote. This change specifies specifically allowed to vote in General Elections ?
Old Jan 16th 2024, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I'm not sure this would change that Fred. As it was a referendum they specified who could and couldn't vote. This change specifies specifically allowed to vote in General Elections ?
The voting (& eligibility) criteria were / are the same - hence the legal cases that were brought.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Finknottle
The voting (& eligibility) criteria were / are the same - hence the legal cases that were brought.
Thanks I stand corrected
Old Jan 16th 2024, 6:27 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you're still a British citizen why not? If it's about taxes, many emigrants still pay taxes. Or perhaps low earners in the UK who don't pay taxes should be stripped of the vote? (Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas...)
Old Jan 16th 2024, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
If you're still a British citizen why not? If it's about taxes, many emigrants still pay taxes. Or perhaps low earners in the UK who don't pay taxes should be stripped of the vote? (Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas...)
I tend to agree with you. I mentioned taxes because I have no choice but to pay tax on most of my income to the UK. Of course being resident in Spain we pay income tax but can only vote in local elections and not the national elections so yes I get your point. As you say we are still British citizens and although living abroad many will have interests in the UK that could be adversely affected by a particular party being the governing party . I think this is a good thing for expats not just in Europe but worldwide. Everyone will have their own view on it some may well not bother to register and vote which is their choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.