Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

moving to costa del sol

moving to costa del sol

Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

nicola15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to costa del sol

hi there my name is nicola, i am new on here me and my family are thinking of moving to the mijas area or somewhere close to this area , there is me 25 year old beautican, my partner 27 year old joiner/builder, and my 16 month old daughter , i was just wondering if anyone could give me any info/tips on jobs , accomadation, and generally living i have done some research on the area e.t.c but just wanted to hear from someone who as lived there or living there aslo general info on schools , hospitals and anything else would be great cheers guys ,,
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to costa del sol

Hi Nicola and welcome.

There are many jobs for beautican´s along the coast, most are commision only though,many go mobile. Lots of schools and nursery´s in this area, (Benalmadena/Fuengirola) unfortunately the building business is not good at the moment.

Last edited by mrsjdr; Mar 25th 2010 at 10:35 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:55 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Hi Nicola and welcome.

There are many jobs for beautican´s along the coast, most are commision only though,many go mobile. Lots of schools and nursery´s in this area, (Benalmadena/Fuengirola) unfortunately the building business is not good at the moment.
it's like that here too - you see jobs hairdressers & beauticians - but mostly they're 'rent-a-chair' deals
Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:22 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nicola15
hi there my name is nicola, i am new on here me and my family are thinking of moving to the mijas area or somewhere close to this area , there is me 25 year old beautican, my partner 27 year old joiner/builder, and my 16 month old daughter , i was just wondering if anyone could give me any info/tips on jobs , accomadation, and generally living i have done some research on the area e.t.c but just wanted to hear from someone who as lived there or living there aslo general info on schools , hospitals and anything else would be great cheers guys ,,
Hi Nicola,

I think you have a better chance of finding a job than your partner. Nothing is getting built.

You should look at the newspaper "sur in English" online in classifieds for jobs. Also you should come down and speak to the other beauticians around and get some ideas from them. Accommodation is plentiful and long term rentals are available everywhere in the south.

Schools usually have infants and take children from 3 years, thought its not compulsory. When they are 6 they have to go to school..but you have a while to think about schools anyway.

Old Mar 26th 2010, 11:54 am
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Hi think best way is put flyers up in supermarket boards or go round all hair n beauty places . Im in el faro im 20min from costa del sol hospital on a good day, cant help you whats its like never been . There few free magazines around the coast. 1st for schools is good lots info in it. surinenglish.com . There lots things to do with you wee girl for free n not free. Think of somewhere to live try fuegirola area where lots of hair places or marbella area.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hello Nicola15,
Virtually all salons here are "rent a chair" ie you're freelance. Once you have built up a customer base, then salons which are more "up-market" will do a chair deal as you'll be bringing in business.
Several points to keep in mind:
1. Your beautician qualifications will mean nothing to the Spanish here. Yes, yes, they are "good for Europe" when you study for them...but in reality only Spanish ones count in Spain.
2. To find anything, you'll (both) need to speak good Spanish.
3. Setting up any business will make you self-employed, and you'll need to find around Euro 250 p/month in social security payments (working or not). Failure to set this up will make it difficult for you to advertise. (There is a lot of jealous competition in your field).
4. Very slim chance of hubby finding any work in the building trade....(scrub that, it'll be impossible).
5. You'll need a car.
6. Bring at least 1 years living monies with you (min 15,000 Euro).
Tiss true that there are lots of peeps peddling the nail/beauty angle out here. But the sum total is that more of your market is moving back to the UK, as opposed to moving here. You'll need to network like mad...and then be very good and very cheap!
Good Luck!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

thanks everyone for your info, i believe the building trade is not very good at moment..I would mind doing rent a chair i have a salon in the uk which has been establised for 3yrs. About the quailifications what would i have to do there ? Would i have to do more training in spain? i have been fully quailified for 10yrs now any info would be great
We are both very very excited
Thanks all
Old Mar 27th 2010, 6:00 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

According to this, 42,000 new homes are to be built in Mijas, which I find staggering

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_25567.shtml

If that is correct (and I seriously doubt that many houses can be built in these recessionary times), there may well be building work available in the years to come. But how easy it will be for your partner to get a piece of the action will be another matter... It may be a case of bribing a fellow Spanish-speaking worker to show him the works on how to get work, at least until he learns the language and builds a good reputation. Good luck, I think you'll need it.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't actually saying when they will start building them, could be years. There will also be thousands of skilled Spaniards in the queue for jobs.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

And thousands of empty brand new built places they can`t sell already.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Nicola,
You and yours really need to come out here for a long holiday and check out all the angles before moving here "full-time". (And I don't mean hanging round bars with ex-pats). You'll need to see as many salons as possible, reply to ads etc whilst your man does his round. You didn't mention your Spanish skills. It'll be pretty much impossible getting anywhere without them. Though your qualifications have little meaning here, this is offset by the fact that most business is "word of mouth". Studying for the Spanish equivalent would need a high level of Spanish (I know because my wife is studying this at the moment). There are no free courses, and the one she is one is around 6,000 Euro per year.
On a side note, I just returned from the rastro at Verga, and it's full of desperate Brits, including a group who were doing some sort of work related to construction, and are waiting in ever increasing desperation to be paid from over 6 months ago....I don't think they'll ever see a penny as they were working without contract.
You say that you are both very excited. This is great...but please keep your feet on the ground!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

cheers again guys ,, i appreciate all the tips and info, to be dead honest me and my partner would work doing pretty much anything we just wanna get out of the u.k and see if we can make it work out there we don't wanna make ourselves millionaires lol but just want a better life for me and my family , something more than what the u.k can offer we are planning on going over in the near future so we might get a better idea on things then ,, are there just general jobs available bar work , cleaning e.t.c ,, once again guys many thanks
Old Mar 28th 2010, 11:49 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

cheers again guys ,, i appreciate all the tips and info, to be dead honest me and my partner would work doing pretty much anything we just wanna get out of the u.k and see if we can make it work out there we don't wanna make ourselves millionaires lol but just want a better life for me and my family , something more than what the u.k can offer we are planning on going over in the near future so we might get a better idea on things then ,, are there just general jobs available bar work , cleaning e.t.c ,, once again guys many thanks
I would think that jobs are virtually impossible for newcomers to Spain. As there are so many already here just waiting for scraps of work to come in.

Bar work and cleaning pay very bad..and during the winter you more than likely not have any work to do as nobody is about.

Learning Spanish is an absolute must...a few years ago you could get away with just speaking English and catering to the Brits only but now. It's a different Spain compared to 3 or 4 years ago or more.

Not sure that a life in Spain doing cleaning jobs is really a better life for a young family...surely the UK can offer better in another area?

Good luck with your plans..
Old Mar 28th 2010, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

we are both learning Spanish at the moment, we are definitely going to give it a go in Spain, life's to short to have regrets and if we don't try it we will regret it in the future. The thing is, it either works or doesn't work and the UK will always have a home for us all. My little girl is just the right age in are opinion to make the move thanks everyone for your info x
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

if you come here at the moment,you are bonkers,i know about the dream and all that,but in the end its only sun,ive been here for a while,had a bar(successful)but now i wanna move back
all my mates have gone,spain now offers nothing,its not cheap,the councils are doing daft things to get money,so many people come here and leave with nothing
still its up to you,i see people all the time that have just moved here,looking for work or buying a crappy bar hoping for a better life,they last less than a year
at the moment,most of the people i knew that had lived here long term(5yrs plus) have gone
at the moment if you come here you will probably fail
sorry to put a downer,but spain is atm only for rich pentioners with 2 homes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.