Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

What do the TRA want in a reference?

What do the TRA want in a reference?

Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:57 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do the TRA want in a reference?

Also Steve o
As you seem to be the man in know here along with Wendy,

Now please do not take this the wrong way as it is certainly not intend to offend anyone in any way shape or form as i think this site has been very very helpfully to myself and many many others,

But could i make a suggestion for a pinned/locked thread on here and that would be

A idiots guide to becoming a electrician in OZ what about some sort of flow chart or the like?

Only at the minute it seems the post about the ARTC seems a little dated as the licenses are now amalgamated now and valid in all states.
there also seems to be alot of duplicate questions on the matter on page 354 of a thread after you have sifted through all the comments and banter etc etc (i'll have a laugh with anyone and am in no way a preud but one serious thread would be ok wouldn't it?)

I'm sure this would help allot of people out like myself who seem to be going around in circles regarding this application process

I am sure also it may reduce the number of duplicate threads/questions/problems on this section of the Forum !

Like i said just my opinion and this may well count for zilch but just thought i would throw my suggestion in and maybe help a few others out in the mean time as i feel it may well be a good idea that i,m sure will work very successfully once you have made a few tweaks to the idea???

Just my 2p's worth anyway

Right i,m off gotta get some work done here anyhoo.

Regards

Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Sep 8th 2008 at 12:00 am.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:10 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeob77
what is to stop someone who is going through as electrician special class getting full license?
im going that way and i can get same electrical license in SA as anyone else (according to SA licensing authority) ie electrical workers license.

lee.
quite simply if your assessed as special class for migration (tra)
then you can only apply for an artc as special class

(as amigrant they will ask for copies of your tra assessemnt as part of the artc application)

peer or any other recognised training organisation wont let you enroll
on the electrical mechanics course without an artc or vetts equivilant as general or supervisory electrician,
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:19 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Also Steve o
As you seem to be the man in know here along with Wendy,

Now please do not take this the wrong way as it is certainly not intend to offend anyone in any way shape or form as i think this site has been very very helpfully to myself and many many others,

But could i make a suggestion for a pinned/locked thread on here and that would be

A idiots guide to becoming a electrician in OZ what about some sort of flow chart or the like?

Only at the minute it seems the post about the ARTC seems a little dated as the licenses are now amalgamated now and valid in all states.
there also seems to be alot of duplicate questions on the matter on page 354 of a thread after you have sifted through all the comments and banter etc etc (i'll have a laugh with anyone and am in no way a preud but one serious thread would be ok wouldn't it?)

I'm sure this would help allot of people out like myself who seem to be going around in circles regarding this application process

I am sure also it may reduce the number of duplicate threads/questions/problems on this section of the Forum !

Like i said just my opinion and this may well count for zilch but just thought i would throw my suggestion in and maybe help a few others out in the mean time as i feel it may well be a good idea that i,m sure will work very successfully once you have made a few tweaks to the idea???

Just my 2p's worth anyway

Right i,m off gotta get some work done here anyhoo.

Regards

Dougie
its still very relavant dougie if your coming on your partners visa,
for example if your mrs is say a nurse its much quicker visa wise for her to be the visa holder and as soon as you have PR ( permanant residency ) you could apply to the artc to have your skills assessed which would lead on to gaining the licence,

why havnt we done a flow chart or idiots guide ??
i simply dont have the time mate i work full time running my own business and on my ever on going major refurb of the house

why dont you start writing it?? as this way it will be up to date,
i did my assesment via tra artc in 04/05 and things have changed dramaticaly since we applied and came over,

regards steve
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
quite simply if your assessed as special class for migration (tra)
then you can only apply for an artc as special class

(as amigrant they will ask for copies of your tra assessemnt as part of the artc application)

peer or any other recognised training organisation wont let you enroll
on the electrical mechanics course without an artc or vetts equivilant as general or supervisory electrician,
you apply to tra as electrician special class for migration, but then as electrical fitter through tra again for artc. they dont have electrician special class as an option for artc.
peer let me enrol without asking about any quals etc.
if you go to any other state then yes the special class and subsequent fitter endorsement would be potentially limiting. but in SA it doesnt matter if you are fitter / mechanic (see email from licensing in SA)

Good Morning Lee

Thankyou for your email.

If you are recognised as an Electrical Mechanic, Electrical Fitter or an Electrician, and you complete the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules Course & Exam, you would qualify for the same electrical workers registration, being 'can complete any electrical work'.
If you have any further questions, please contact our office on 08 8204 9696 and speak to a Licensing Officer.

Regards

Jacqui Norman
Supervisor Licensing
Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians

Business and Occupational Services
Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Government of South Australia
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:33 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

its still very relavant dougie if your coming on your partners visa,
for example if your mrs is say a nurse its much quicker visa wise for her to be the visa holder and as soon as you have PR ( permanant residency ) you could apply to the artc to have your skills assessed which would lead on to gaining the licence,

why havnt we done a flow chart or idiots guide ??
i simply dont have the time mate i work full time running my own business and on my ever on going major refurb of the house

why dont you start writing it?? as this way it will be up to date,
i did my assesment via tra artc in 04/05 and things have changed dramaticaly since we applied and came over,

regards steve
Sorry Steve like i said i really dont wanna rattle anyones feathers i,m sure you are really very busy as are many people including myself

If i had the knowledge required i would certainly try to produce something that would be informative to everyone on this matter but as i am still confused on the subject i dont feel i could offer anything of any use other than to pay an agent !
and once i get to the bottom of it and feel i have all the information i will do.

I know youu are not a carrea's advisor or indeed incharge of this forum but it was just a open suggestion to all on here that if they had the knowledge or between a few people we could get it sorted for sure.

Anyway i,m ranting on again when i should be chasing my references

If i find anything of any relevence i shall post it up

AGain thanks

Dougie
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:41 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by leeob77
you apply to tra as electrician special class for migration, but then as electrical fitter through tra again for artc. they dont have electrician special class as an option for artc.
peer let me enrol without asking about any quals etc.
if you go to any other state then yes the special class and subsequent fitter endorsement would be potentially limiting. but in SA it doesnt matter if you are fitter / mechanic (see email from licensing in SA)

Good Morning Lee

Thankyou for your email.

If you are recognised as an Electrical Mechanic, Electrical Fitter or an Electrician, and you complete the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules Course & Exam, you would qualify for the same electrical workers registration, being 'can complete any electrical work'.
If you have any further questions, please contact our office on 08 8204 9696 and speak to a Licensing Officer.

Regards

Jacqui Norman
Supervisor Licensing
Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians

Business and Occupational Services
Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Government of South Australia

electrican special class

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...s)-4311-13.htm

i would say having read the requirements for this visa that this would be beyond most general sparks lee, its certainly beyond me with my C&G 236 and 240

ie "Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry"

for assessment purposes they will be looking for C&G in electronics to at least nvq level 3
( i know ive tried his route for my son who repairs atm machines who unfortuntly only has electronics and logic quals to nvq level 2, so he`s going back to tech this year to get his level 3 )

if your qualified to this level then i`d say go for and good luck

regards steve
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:45 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Sorry Steve like i said i really dont wanna rattle anyones feathers i,m sure you are really very busy as are many people including myself

If i had the knowledge required i would certainly try to produce something that would be informative to everyone on this matter but as i am still confused on the subject i dont feel i could offer anything of any use other than to pay an agent !
and once i get to the bottom of it and feel i have all the information i will do.

I know youu are not a carrea's advisor or indeed incharge of this forum but it was just a open suggestion to all on here that if they had the knowledge or between a few people we could get it sorted for sure.

Anyway i,m ranting on again when i should be chasing my references

If i find anything of any relevence i shall post it up

AGain thanks

Dougie

re the references doug just write your own and get them to put it on headed paper and sign it, this way you can avoid the so an so is on time type refs which are useless
you need to get all the information as per the start of this thread in there

regards steve
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

electrican special class

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...s)-4311-13.htm

i would say having read the requirements for this visa that this would be beyond most general sparks lee, its certainly beyond me with my C&G 236 and 240

ie "Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry"

for assessment purposes they will be looking for C&G in electronics to at least nvq level 3
( i know ive tried his route for my son who repairs atm machines who unfortuntly only has electronics and logic quals to nvq level 2, so he`s going back to tech this year to get his level 3 )

if your qualified to this level then i`d say go for and good luck

regards steve
agent advised me to go this way as i only do limited domestic installs etc. mostly all work on machinery, production lines, and industrial work. for a certain few maintenance electricians i think it is the only way because i couldnt prove that i did the general electricians work on a regular basis.

its just another option for people who dont fall into the general electrician category. im just thankful that by going through SA route i can get full license and hopefully work in a similair industrial environment in oz.

This is a list of duties that the TRA consider a Special Class Electrician to carry out on a daily basis.
4311-13 Electrician (Special Class)
Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.
Tasks Include:
diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature
analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation
uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults
dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them
test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings
records causes of malfunctioning and action taken
may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units
may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources

cheers.

lee.

Last edited by leeob77; Sep 8th 2008 at 1:12 am.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

i recon if we charged for assistance on here mate with Alcohol as a repayment we would be pissed all the time.???.

imagine you in QLD me here in victoria & wendy in S/A 3 people pissed all the time.???? now that can be a good thing or a bad one.??