Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

What do the TRA want in a reference?

What do the TRA want in a reference?

Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:46 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default What do the TRA want in a reference?

As it says above really people.

I am currently in the process of soorting out my TRA appliction and would be interested to hear what the TRA are after terminolgy wise??

I have heard that want to hear the following so far :
Isolation
Dissconnect /ion
re connect /ion
work alone
work as a team
vieww drawings
work from drawings
will to learn

Waht else have you found to be successful; in your application?

TIA

Dougie
Old Sep 8th 2008, 5:37 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do the TRA want in a reference?

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
As it says above really people.

I am currently in the process of soorting out my TRA appliction and would be interested to hear what the TRA are after terminolgy wise??

I have heard that want to hear the following so far :
Isolation
Dissconnect /ion
re connect /ion
work alone
work as a team
vieww drawings
work from drawings
will to learn

Waht else have you found to be successful; in your application?

TIA

Dougie

youve confused a bit dougie
why are you applying for a tra ?
are you coming over on your spouses visa ?
and if so its an artc you will be after
link to artc ( and tra )
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nresidents.htm

and the bits you need to cover in your reference are

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the broad range of work normally done by, and to the same level of skill as, a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and /or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have adequate background/theoretical knowledge.

so cover these points in the references ( this would apply for both tra and artc )

one of my ref letters is in this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558201

good luck guys and if you need any futher help just ask

regards steve
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:28 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

O NO NO NO

I thought i had this boxed off and understood now !!

I am applying through the TRA to hopefully get a visa for me and my family to emigrate to OZ on.

I thought this was a easier and quicker route than the vettasses way, as long as i had the right Quals and ref's???

I,m sure i,m right ?????????

Arn't i?

Dougie
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

O NO NO NO

I thought i had this boxed off and understood now !!

I am applying through the TRA to hopefully get a visa for me and my family to emigrate to OZ on.

I thought this was a easier and quicker route than the vettasses way, as long as i had the right Quals and ref's???

I,m sure i,m right ?????????

Arn't i?

Dougie

erm no
if your a general sparkie or a supervisor sparkie from the uk ( or several of theo ther listed countries see the web site ) you have to go via vettesses
http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cf...#tsa_downloads
download the general electrician one and if you can tick all the boxes go on to apply here
http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cf...a_how_to_apply

hope this makes it clear mate

regard steve
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:46 am
Worongary

right found the bit i was after

3 New skills assessment service
For people intending to migrate to Australia from India, Sri Lanka, UK, South Africa and the Philippines in certain trades.

This new skills assessment service applies only to residents* of:

India, Sri Lanka, the United Kingdom, South Africa and the Philippines who wish to have their skills assessed for the General Skilled Migration programme in one of the following trade occupations:
general electrician [4311-11]
general plumber [4431-11]
refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic [4312-11]
motor mechanic [4211-11]
carpenter and joiner [4411-11]
carpenter[4411-13]
joiner [4411-15]
electrical powerline tradesperson [4313-11]
cable jointer [4313-13]
bricklayer [4414-11]
supervisor, electricians [4311-01]
supervisor, plumbers [4431-01]
supervisor, refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanics [4312-01]
supervisor, motor mechanic [4211-01]
supervisor, carpentry and joinery [4411-01]
supervisor, electrical distribution tradespersons [4313-01]
supervisor, bricklayers [4414-01]

* For information on determining country of residence, click here.
New assessing authority

Under this new service, applications from potential migrants in the above countries and trades will no longer be assessed by TRA. From 1 September 2007 applications will be assessed by the VETASSESS Consortium, a group of Australian registered training organisations.

Consortium members include Kangan Batman TAFE, Box Hill Institute of TAFE, Victoria University, Swan TAFE, Great Southern TAFE, South West Regional College and Central Gippsland TAFE.

Skills assessment
Under the new skills assessment service, there are three assessment phases:

A free self assessment tool for potential applicants to gauge their suitability for the assessment process (this is available on the VETASSESS website).
A paper based pre-assessment that takes into account qualifications and work experience in the relevant trade.
A technical interview and in country practical assessment. (A schedule of visits to each of the five countries for 2007/08 is published on the VETASSESS website.)
Assessment Standards
Occupational Action Groups comprising state government, industry regulators, state registering authorities and employer and employee representatives agreed the assessment standard for each occupation. Applicants seeking skills assessment in the trades of general electrician, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic, motor mechanic, carpenter and joiner, bricklayer, cable jointer and electrical powerline tradesperson will all be assessed against specified Certificate III training packages. Applicants seeking skills recognition as a general plumber will be assessed against specified streams of the Certificate III training package.

Applicants seeking skills recognition as a supervisor will be assessed against specified streams of the Certificate III training package for the base trade plus additional supervisory experience of 3 years is required.

To ensure that applicants are fully aware of the skills required to meet Australian standards, applicants are able to do a self-assessment of their skills and determine if they are ready to proceed to the assessment stage. These self-assessment tools describe the critical competencies and major skill sets required to meet Australian standards.

The self assessment tools are downloadable from the VETASSESS website or can be completed online through an interactive interface after 1 July 2007.

For more information, please go to Skills assessment for migration at www.vetassess.com.au and visit the Questions and Answers page.

Determining Country of Residence
Now that the new offshore service has commenced, Trades Recognition Australia no longer assesses applications from applicants seeking a skills assessment in the trades specified above whose country of residence is India, the United Kingdom, the Philippines, Sri Lanka or South Africa. Such applications will be returned to the applicant along with the application fee.

Applicants will be required to nominate their country of residence on the application form when making an application for a skills assessment to TRA.

Where the evidence provided by an applicant in support of his or her skills assessment application suggests that the country of residence may not be the one specified in the application, TRA may require additional evidence to substantiate the applicant’s country of residence (for example, utilities bills, rental receipts, passport, visa, evidence of a bank account from the nominated country of residence etc).

When considering whether an applicant has specified his or her correct country of residence, TRA may consider a number of factors including, but not limited to:

where that person eats, sleeps and has a settled home;
how long that person has lived in the country specified in his or her application; and
that person’s intention to make or not make a particular country his or her usual home.
If an applicant is successful with his or her application for a skills assessment and subsequently makes a visa application to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC), DIAC may make additional enquiries in order to verify whether an applicant has nominated the correct country of residence in his or her application for a skills assessment.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

steve`o;

bloody hell Steve thats a good post mate, i bet you need a pint now after all that
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:01 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
steve`o;

bloody hell Steve thats a good post mate, i bet you need a pint now after all that
i`m thinking of asking for donations in slabs for info arthur
what do you reckon???
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:04 am
Swollen Member

Steve thanks thats great post,

I would have right thou two weeks ago trhou i think

Anyway my own fault for dilly dallying around and not pulling my finger out of my a$%e quick enough hey !!

Right so looks like i,m down the long and £$£$£ road of vettasses then
I'll try then links now and see where i,m up too.

Again thanks

Dougie

PS steve i,ll have a slab or two for you if/when i ever get to GC fingers crossed now and i,m gonna get this sh1t sorted this week i hope.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:25 am
Worongary

Steve thanks thats great post,

I would have right thou two weeks ago trhou i think

Anyway my own fault for dilly dallying around and not pulling my finger out of my a$%e quick enough hey !!

Right so looks like i,m down the long and £$£$£ road of vettasses then
I'll try then links now and see where i,m up too.

Again thanks

Dougie

PS steve i,ll have a slab or two for you if/when i ever get to GC fingers crossed now and i,m gonna get this sh1t sorted this week i hope.
nope it changed on the 1st sept 07
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:49 am
Swollen Member

What about page 11 of this link from the TRA http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

ASCO code 4311-01 ? it says here that i can go through theTRA apllication route

I am really confused at this time and i am very gratefull for all of everyones input i,m off to sort this lot out and i,ll post back when i have some more answers

Dougie
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

i went through as electrician special class (4311-13). still assessed by TRA. only because i work as a maintenance electrician. like steve o says the general electrician and supervisor are now through vetassess (think the list stating TRA/VETASSESS for some occupations may have been for in the transition period in 2007).
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:01 am
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by leeob77
i went through as electrician special class (4311-13). still assessed by TRA. only because i work as a maintenance electrician. like steve o says the general electrician and supervisor are now through vetassess (think the list stating TRA/VETASSESS for some occupations may have been for in the transition period in 2007).
Ok cheers Lee ignore that e-mail i just sent you then

Think i will contact the TRA now and trebble check as i cannot see them leaving something on there web site for over 12 months that is incorrect??
Would they?
Surely 100's of sparks would have made the error and prompted them to up-date the web??
Will see anyway cause i know this was defo the quicker and cheaper than the Vetasses one so last chanced saloon

Will see and post up my findings

Dougie
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:22 am
Worongary

What about page 11 of this link from the TRA http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

ASCO code 4311-01 ? it says here that i can go through theTRA apllication route

I am really confused at this time and i am very gratefull for all of everyones input i,m off to sort this lot out and i,ll post back when i have some more answers

Dougie
doug go back and read the top of page 11 which you have highlighted above

it clearly states that special attangements have bee made for certain countries inc the uk and refers you to pages 23 and 24 ie these countries are are now assessed via vetesses

i know its more expensive but unless you can claim electrician special class
( which will only get you a resricted licence on this side ) the only way is via vetts
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:43 am
Swollen Member

Arrow Re: What do the TRA want in a reference?

Thanks again Steve

I was hoping to go over via TRA supervisor but as this is now not an option it seems a i may well be able to get in through the special class catorgary (fingers crossed i have just contacted them)

Please anyone correct me when i go wrong here.........

Get a restricted license over there (if i get through TRA) but if i have a address to send stuf to over there i can :

Apply to the ARTC to get that ball rolling on my way to a full license

And also take the Peer distane learning course

And once i have completed this and have my date for arrival in OZ book the Exam in Adilaide

Pass the exam
get results the same day
walk to the town hall thingy with My

Passport inc Visa stamp/ticket
Peer pass cert
ARTC form
Big wad of cash
pictures
????
Apply for my SA license (which is now valid in all states)
get it posted to my new QLD address
Fly back to QLD
Wait 3-4weeks for it to arrive whislt chilling and drinking larger in the sun after i have dropped a slab off for steve
Pop my new unrestricted license in my wallet and off my pop to work

I am hoping i have got this correct please feel free to alter and insert where you see fit or just shoot me down in flames

Regards

Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Sep 8th 2008 at 11:46 am.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

leeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really niceleeob77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
doug go back and read the top of page 11 which you have highlighted above

it clearly states that special attangements have bee made for certain countries inc the uk and refers you to pages 23 and 24 ie these countries are are now assessed via vetesses

i know its more expensive but unless you can claim electrician special class
( which will only get you a resricted licence on this side ) the only way is via vetts
what is to stop someone who is going through as electrician special class getting full license?
im going that way and i can get same electrical license in SA as anyone else (according to SA licensing authority) ie electrical workers license.

lee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.