Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Just finishing off a bottle of Jacobs Creek to celebrate the fond memory of watching Geoff Hurst on TV score those dramatic goals 47 years ago to the day, which won England the World Cup on 30th July 1966.

I always remember it going to extra time and my mother suggesting we bring the black cat into the living room for luck. What a dramatic occasion

I also remember many subsequent visits as an undergraduate to a village pub near Keele University, which Sir Geoff Hurst either owned or managed and asking him the perennial question. His reply was always the same, I don't know but the referee thought so, which is all that matters.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Originally Posted by mentalist
Just finishing off a bottle of Jacobs Creek to celebrate the fond memory of watching Geoff Hurst on TV score those dramatic goals 47 years ago to the day, which won England the World Cup on 30th July 1966.

I always remember it going to extra time and my mother suggesting we bring the black cat into the living room for luck. What a dramatic occasion

I also remember many subsequent visits as an undergraduate to a village pub near Keele University, which Sir Geoff Hurst either owned or managed and asking him the perennial question. His reply was always the same, I don't know but the referee thought so, which is all that matters.
He didn't think so - he had to check with the Azerbaijani (Azeri?) linesman who was hopelessly out of position, I recall.

I always remember Roger Hunt not bothering to try and nod the ball in as it bounced down and up again - surely, if he wasn't sure the ball was over the line, he would have tried to do so?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
He didn't think so - he had to check with the Azerbaijani (Azeri?) linesman who was hopelessly out of position, I recall. I always remember Roger Hunt not bothering to try and nod the ball in as it bounced down and up again - surely, if he wasn't sure the ball was over the line, he would have tried to do so?
Well he is not going to admit to a complete stranger that his crucial goal should not have been given. Much better to plead innocent ignorance.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Well he is not going to admit to a complete stranger that his crucial goal should not have been given. Much better to plead innocent ignorance.
I simply meant that Hunt's reaction suggested it WAS over the line..............