British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Did It Cross The Line, Geoff? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/did-cross-line-geoff-804558/)

mentalist Jul 30th 2013 2:38 pm

Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Just finishing off a bottle of Jacobs Creek to celebrate the fond memory of watching Geoff Hurst on TV score those dramatic goals 47 years ago to the day, which won England the World Cup on 30th July 1966.:thumbsup:

I always remember it going to extra time and my mother suggesting we bring the black cat into the living room for luck. What a dramatic occasion

I also remember many subsequent visits as an undergraduate to a village pub near Keele University, which Sir Geoff Hurst either owned or managed and asking him the perennial question. His reply was always the same, I don't know but the referee thought so, which is all that matters.

The Dean Jul 31st 2013 3:03 am

Re: Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10826846)
Just finishing off a bottle of Jacobs Creek to celebrate the fond memory of watching Geoff Hurst on TV score those dramatic goals 47 years ago to the day, which won England the World Cup on 30th July 1966.:thumbsup:

I always remember it going to extra time and my mother suggesting we bring the black cat into the living room for luck. What a dramatic occasion

I also remember many subsequent visits as an undergraduate to a village pub near Keele University, which Sir Geoff Hurst either owned or managed and asking him the perennial question. His reply was always the same, I don't know but the referee thought so, which is all that matters.

He didn't think so - he had to check with the Azerbaijani (Azeri?) linesman who was hopelessly out of position, I recall.

I always remember Roger Hunt not bothering to try and nod the ball in as it bounced down and up again - surely, if he wasn't sure the ball was over the line, he would have tried to do so?

mentalist Jul 31st 2013 4:46 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10827711)
He didn't think so - he had to check with the Azerbaijani (Azeri?) linesman who was hopelessly out of position, I recall. I always remember Roger Hunt not bothering to try and nod the ball in as it bounced down and up again - surely, if he wasn't sure the ball was over the line, he would have tried to do so?

Well he is not going to admit to a complete stranger that his crucial goal should not have been given. Much better to plead innocent ignorance.

The Dean Jul 31st 2013 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10827781)
Well he is not going to admit to a complete stranger that his crucial goal should not have been given. Much better to plead innocent ignorance.

I simply meant that Hunt's reaction suggested it WAS over the line..............