Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:38 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,536
mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Just finishing off a bottle of Jacobs Creek to celebrate the fond memory of watching Geoff Hurst on TV score those dramatic goals 47 years ago to the day, which won England the World Cup on 30th July 1966.

I always remember it going to extra time and my mother suggesting we bring the black cat into the living room for luck. What a dramatic occasion

I also remember many subsequent visits as an undergraduate to a village pub near Keele University, which Sir Geoff Hurst either owned or managed and asking him the perennial question. His reply was always the same, I don't know but the referee thought so, which is all that matters.
mentalist is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:03 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,554
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Just finishing off a bottle of Jacobs Creek to celebrate the fond memory of watching Geoff Hurst on TV score those dramatic goals 47 years ago to the day, which won England the World Cup on 30th July 1966.

I always remember it going to extra time and my mother suggesting we bring the black cat into the living room for luck. What a dramatic occasion

I also remember many subsequent visits as an undergraduate to a village pub near Keele University, which Sir Geoff Hurst either owned or managed and asking him the perennial question. His reply was always the same, I don't know but the referee thought so, which is all that matters.
He didn't think so - he had to check with the Azerbaijani (Azeri?) linesman who was hopelessly out of position, I recall.

I always remember Roger Hunt not bothering to try and nod the ball in as it bounced down and up again - surely, if he wasn't sure the ball was over the line, he would have tried to do so?
The Dean is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:46 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,536
mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
He didn't think so - he had to check with the Azerbaijani (Azeri?) linesman who was hopelessly out of position, I recall. I always remember Roger Hunt not bothering to try and nod the ball in as it bounced down and up again - surely, if he wasn't sure the ball was over the line, he would have tried to do so?
Well he is not going to admit to a complete stranger that his crucial goal should not have been given. Much better to plead innocent ignorance.
mentalist is offline  
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:10 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,554
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did It Cross The Line, Geoff?

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Well he is not going to admit to a complete stranger that his crucial goal should not have been given. Much better to plead innocent ignorance.
I simply meant that Hunt's reaction suggested it WAS over the line..............
The Dean is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.