Why come back to Britain?????

Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:32 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why come back to Britain?????

Originally Posted by CitySlicker
The point is that the 970 million journeys are not made by 970 million different people. I'd say that about 2 million different people made those 970 million journeys. In other words a typical commuter makes an outbound and return journey per day Monday to Friday, i.e. about 500 journeys per year. And then there are tourists and occaisional visitors.

I'd say that around the time of the London suicide bombings there were about 1 million people on the system at some time (between 6:30 am and 9:30 am let's say). I believe there were 39 dead on the underground. therefore as the attack occured when 1 million were at risk the crude death rate now becomes 1 in 25,600. the attack could have occured on ANY day but the number of people exposed to the risk was about the same and the roughly SAME group of people were exposed to the risk.

In case you are wondering about the terminology I am using I used to work as an actuarial analyst and worked for 1 year in accident insurance so I do know something about the calculations. And yes, I did work in London, and yes, I did travel on the underground.
Lies, damned lies and statistics, that's what it is.

My husband is an engineer, so I asked his opinion, and he said you are deliberately distorting the numbers to prove a point. For example, if you are going to use the 2001 passenger statistics to determine the probability of death from terrorism on the underground, why not also use the actual deaths from terrorism on the underground for the same year, which is approximately zero.

Or to properly prove your point you should calculate the probability throughout the life of the underground, which is 142 years.

And estimating the probability of being bombed based on people on the underground at the time of the bombings is also a distortion, because you have to include the probability of being on the underground at the time, as well as the probability of being on that particular line, and that particular train. And so it goes on...

The fact is everyday there is a probability that we'll die, but most of us survive, and life goes on.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:49 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eliscolin
Then you obviously haven't been around on many web forums then. Look at the postitive side this thread has put some life into a one sided point of view....
Where was the one sided point of view? This is a supportive forum for people wanting/looking to move back to the UK. If that's not you, then go to the 'Rest of the World' forum and find out about life in Chile, then move there. Whinging threads like this put no 'life' into anything - only cynicism, and spite. "The music you constantly play, says nothing to me about my life."

Last edited by ShozInOz; Dec 9th 2005 at 10:52 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 12:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I'm still in the UK and Edinburgh is still my home and it's cool but right now it seems to be full of French people which is crappy. I thought they didn't like us Brits but masses of them are coming over here all the time. And a lot of them take jobs here.
go get a job in Paris then.

that'll show 'em.

Last edited by Manc; Dec 10th 2005 at 12:57 am.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
Of course, Canada is a great place.

Did you move to Canada because it was great, or did you move to Canada because the UK was shit?

I think if you're a failure in the UK you'll be a failure wherever you end up.
The country doesn't make a person.
We weighed up the pros and cons of both places and decided to give Canada a go. My wife is Canadian and was keen for our children to experience a Canadian childhood.

We could have carried on in the UK, we both had well paid jobs. But, we needed to those well paid jobs to pay for our children's education and would have had to mortgage ourselves to the hilt to buy a detached house in London (where we lived).

Selling up and moving to Canada has allowed us to now choose when and how much we work (we've effectively retired in our early 40's), we have more time with our children and we're all very much happier and less stressed. and although a big house isn't everything, it certain beats living in a pokey victorian terrrace.

The facilities here for children are excellent (indoor and outdoor), we have the Rocky mountains on the doorstep which is fantastic. Generally, Canadians are friendly and good natured people and their attitude reminds me how people were in the UK when I was a child.

Re the "failure" comment, many people who emigrate are successful and have worked hard. Perhaps they feel that their hard work is not rewarded in th UK. In fact, if you've been a success in the UK, you'll probably be a success in the new country.

But I'll repeat, IMHO the UK is not sh*t just not as good as it used to be. We all have UK passports, so we can go back to visit whenever we want. The kids may even use them to study or live back in Europe, who knows?
Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kendodd
Another 7 days and I'm off for a 5 week stint. I'll have a good look around and let you know! Like you, I can't imagine it's gone downhill that much in one year!!
Oh I bet you cant wait to get back for your 5 week stint, have a good time and keep in contact with me wont you and let me know what you think.

Plants
Old Dec 10th 2005, 9:19 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliscolin
Old England is going rapidly under a sea of new development...all being bulldozed for building new roads, Mosques, Hindu temples or subsidised housing for single mothers on benefit and the lefty do-gooders are on the verge of banning anything remotely Anglo Saxon left in this country. You laugh but many Town Councils will not put up Xmas Decorations, or send out Xmas cards with Happy Xmas in fear of offending..."The minority".
Sorry .... i was wondering about that. I just came back from the UK last week ... then i saw this xmas lights in the village. Apparently my step daugther told me that it is not allow to be call 'xmas light' because it will offending 'The Minority'.

I thought this is silly ... u come and live in the UK, dont u think u should adopt their customs?

we living in the middle east now ... do u think our 'emir' will do the same towards "The Minority" here???

I noticed as well, the crimes stories i read in the paper most of the time always commited by immigrants.

We travelling in and out the UK 3 times during 3 weeks stays ... and in most airport we been ... always were a queue jumper ... and surprisingly they also non-white skin colour. Either indian / pakistani / arab or whatever. But it seems because they carrying british passport they feel they have the right to get a special treatment ....

Anyway ... sorry for hijacking the thread escolin ... i just trying to make a point that eventho living in the UK is nice (to be together with your family) but still everything there messed up.

My son is british .... once we go back to the UK ... he need to see a doctor ... the local surgery wont make an appointment for him because he dont have a national insurance number. And to get one they said u have to live in the country min for 6 mths.

But I saw all this immigrant coming throught the tunnel and they get free of everything from the government.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 10:03 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I'm still in the UK and Edinburgh is still my home and it's cool but right now it seems to be full of French people which is crappy. I thought they didn't like us Brits but masses of them are coming over here all the time. And a lot of them take jobs here.
I imagine the Australians/Canadians/Americans etc may think that of the Brits that go to their country and take their jobs.

Sorry but the days of white rule English speaking colonies/countries are over, like it or not. We have to melt into ONE BIG Pot!!!!

To survive you just have to get on with life in the place you want to be as best you can and count your blessing rather than bleating about things you can't change . . unless you want to start a revolution! :scared:

Rant over
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
,,, it is not allow to be call 'xmas light' because it will offending 'The Minority'.
I noticed as well, the crimes stories i read in the paper most of the time always commited by immigrants.
... always were a queue jumper ... and surprisingly they also non-white skin colour. Either indian / pakistani / arab or whatever. ...........

My son is british .... once we go back to the UK ... he need to see a doctor ... the local surgery wont make an appointment for him because he dont have a national insurance number. And to get one they said u have to live in the country min for 6 mths.
But I saw all this immigrant coming throught the tunnel and they get free of everything from the government.

So do you read the Daily Mail or the Sun?

Actually, judging by your grammar, it's a fair bet that it's the Sun...

NB: Seeing that you live in the Middle East, why do you feel that your son should be entitled to free NHS treatment?

Last edited by Elvira; Dec 10th 2005 at 2:32 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

You sound like a complete bigot! Doubt you know what that means...

What is "X"mas anyway? If you cared so much about the meaning wouldn't you call it Christmas?

Sorry .... i was wondering about that. I just came back from the UK last week ... then i saw this xmas lights in the village. Apparently my step daugther told me that it is not allow to be call 'xmas light' because it will offending 'The Minority'.

I thought this is silly ... u come and live in the UK, dont u think u should adopt their customs?

we living in the middle east now ... do u think our 'emir' will do the same towards "The Minority" here???

We travelling in and out the UK 3 times during 3 weeks stays ... and in most airport we been ... always were a queue jumper ... and surprisingly they also non-white skin colour. Either indian / pakistani / arab or whatever. But it seems because they carrying british passport they feel they have the right to get a special treatment ....

Anyway ... sorry for hijacking the thread escolin ... i just trying to make a point that eventho living in the UK is nice (to be together with your family) but still everything there messed up.

Old Dec 10th 2005, 3:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This is for British citizens ...

If you *move* back to the UK you can use the NHS immediately. If you were "told" that there is a 6 month waiting period, that's wrong. Nor is there any waiting period to get a national insurance number, in any case most British children only get one at age 16.

If you are *visiting* the UK then British citizenship does not give you the right to use the NHS. The NHS is funded by British taxes, which are not levied on British citizens overseas.

IF you yourself are not British, but arrive on a spouse visa, generally the same rules apply.

Jeremy
Old Dec 10th 2005, 4:24 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
it's a fair bet that it's the Sun...
I don't think that's printed in Qatar!
Originally Posted by Interested
If you cared so much about the meaning wouldn't you call it Christmas?
No, cos it would offend the minority! Why does Birmingham call it Winterville????

Honestly Nov, the statements written here (by people who have moved away - NIMBY's we used to call them) are the exact reason I left that sh1thole of a country a while back.

(Not In My Back Yard)
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:00 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
This is for British citizens ...

If you *move* back to the UK you can use the NHS immediately. If you were "told" that there is a 6 month waiting period, that's wrong. Nor is there any waiting period to get a national insurance number, in any case most British children only get one at age 16.

If you are *visiting* the UK then British citizenship does not give you the right to use the NHS. The NHS is funded by British taxes, which are not levied on British citizens overseas.

IF you yourself are not British, but arrive on a spouse visa, generally the same rules apply.

Jeremy
Hi Jaj,

Out of interest ... my husband paying NI contribution, does this cover my son for NHS treatment eventho he never living in the UK?

TIA
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:03 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Interested
You sound like a complete bigot! Doubt you know what that means...

What is "X"mas anyway? If you cared so much about the meaning wouldn't you call it Christmas?
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:10 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by MJC
I don't think that's printed in Qatar!

No, cos it would offend the minority! Why does Birmingham call it Winterville????

Honestly Nov, the statements written here (by people who have moved away - NIMBY's we used to call them) are the exact reason I left that sh1thole of a country a while back.

(Not In My Back Yard)

When we just got married , my hubby always said that he want to retire back in the UK. But i think now 7 yrs later, he is not too sure for himself. As what the original thread starter said ... he always said that UK is really messed up now.

I don't go against ppl who wants to move back to the UK though .... I know some ppl can't leave away from the family. Yes it is hard when you are far away from your loved one. And thats your own personal choice when you want to move back to the UK ...

When I go back to the UK ...I never being asked of my ID / passport ... I got stamps in my passport when I get inside the UK ... but they never stamp my passport again when I am out. Any other country I been I always get the stamps when you arrive and when you leave the country. So I was wondering once you get in into the UK you can just disappear can't u?
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:12 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by Elvira

NB: Seeing that you live in the Middle East, why do you feel that your son should be entitled to free NHS treatment?
Because he is british... and his dad contribute to NI ??? Correct me if I made a mistake there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.