Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:56 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by ezzie
Thanks for the welcome my darling. Don't wish to sidetrack this thread, but in a nutshell - I bloody loved the UK....OK, not all of it, but on the whole I'd get back on the plane tomorrow.

Big problem...jobs. My God this recession is going to be a desperate, miserable, life changing experience for so many. Plus, I discovered a few barriers that would make moving back more of a challenge than I anticipated, but that might be me being naive. The big fear is that even if dh did find a job, there's a real risk he'd lose it again as the recession bit deeper - and as were approaching 50 there's a risk we'd be unemployed for a good while.

I'd love to do an update but after the slagging-off my posts got, you can understand why I'm reticent.
I lurk a bit on this board just to see how things are and I really enjoyed reading your adventures, would be lovely to hear more.
good luck and happy writing
Terese
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:20 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Just wondering why. Must have been powerful to hit that hard and fast. What had you expected that you didn't find?

Was it the weather? We've only been back once over Christmas, and the chilly damp in the north had us determined not to do that again. But it was mainly my mother's Lancashire house -- drafty and no central heating.

Bev

Sounds like my Spanish one.. and yes, it IS cold in Spain in the winter, especially at 1000m up in the mountains.

Well, we haven't returned to the UK yet, but intend in 2010 to do half-and-half. I miss the city! I miss the art galleries and museums, and theatres, and just being able to walk out of the door of my house (which we have kept, thank goodness) and be in the city centre in twenty minutes (walking).

Where I live in Spain is beautiful and the people are friendly, but it's a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, which is lovely, but sometimes a bit claustrophobic...so that's why we'd like to do half and half - best of both worlds (and weather!).

Luckily we are early retired and next year I get my State Pension, so don't have to find work.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:18 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Sounds like my Spanish one.. and yes, it IS cold in Spain in the winter, especially at 1000m up in the mountains.

Well, we haven't returned to the UK yet, but intend in 2010 to do half-and-half. I miss the city! I miss the art galleries and museums, and theatres, and just being able to walk out of the door of my house (which we have kept, thank goodness) and be in the city centre in twenty minutes (walking).

Where I live in Spain is beautiful and the people are friendly, but it's a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, which is lovely, but sometimes a bit claustrophobic...so that's why we'd like to do half and half - best of both worlds (and weather!).

Luckily we are early retired and next year I get my State Pension, so don't have to find work.
There was a programme on retired people just recently doing the 6 months exchange. It seems to work really well for those on a pension who get the seasons just right so that they don't have to pay too much in hearing bills.
Some friends of ours are heading back from here to the UK but they hate the winter so they're staying in Spain first.
God knows why they're going to live in the UK if they hate winter but I don't think they are too fond of here.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
There was a programme on retired people just recently doing the 6 months exchange. It seems to work really well for those on a pension who get the seasons just right so that they don't have to pay too much in hearing bills.
Some friends of ours are heading back from here to the UK but they hate the winter so they're staying in Spain first.
God knows why they're going to live in the UK if they hate winter but I don't think they are too fond of here.
Instead of going to Spain, shouldn`t they be going to see a Doctor for their hearing problems? Bills Aren`t hearing problems free on the NHS in the UK
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:16 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Instead of going to Spain, shouldn`t they be going to see a Doctor for their hearing problems? Bills Aren`t hearing problems free on the NHS in the UK
Very funny. Of course it should have been 'heating' bills. Just watched a programme on Spanish regional cooking which was interesting. Not just a pile of paella for a change.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:24 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Very funny. Of course it should have been 'heating' bills. Just watched a programme on Spanish regional cooking which was interesting. Not just a pile of paella for a change.
One of the delights of Spain are the regional recipes which can easily rival those of both France and Italy. Despite being Spanish I am actually not a big fan of Paella at all, even though I often tuck into a chicken/rabbit paella at my local restaurant.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the delights of Spain are the regional recipes which can easily rival those of both France and Italy. Despite being Spanish I am actually not a big fan of Paella at all, even though I often tuck into a chicken/rabbit paella at my local restaurant.
I've travelled all over Spain and love the place and the food.Loking forward to leaving the regional cooking of Australia-The pie floater,chicko roll amd dim sim.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:19 pm
Banned

What's your favourite Jules? There is a programme here called Food Safari. It's brilliant. I love cooking so I watch most food and lifestyle programmes.
The presenter doesn't go out of Oz but she travels around presenting a programme on all the various cultures styles and traditions of cooking. Last week, it was Greece. This week it was Spain.
I loved the way the Indian cookery showed how they baked chicken tikka and the naan breads. The heat of the ovens must be unbearable though.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:35 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by kevin747
I've travelled all over Spain and love the place and the food.Loking forward to leaving the regional cooking of Australia-The pie floater,chicko roll amd dim sim.
When I was in Perth after a couple of weeks of bland Australian food I found salvation in Italian restaurants there, in fact the only decent food I came across were in restaurants that were either owned by Italians or Asians.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:42 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

What's your favourite Jules? There is a programme here called Food Safari. It's brilliant. I love cooking so I watch most food and lifestyle programmes.
The presenter doesn't go out of Oz but she travels around presenting a programme on all the various cultures styles and traditions of cooking. Last week, it was Greece. This week it was Spain.
I loved the way the Indian cookery showed how they baked chicken tikka and the naan breads. The heat of the ovens must be unbearable though.
Well apart from Spanish food I also love northern Italian dishes, Mexican food, Thai food, Hungarian food and also Peruvian which is one of the hidden delights of South America. Also after living 8 years in the UK I discovered Indian curry which is probably my personal favorite and can definately understand why its the UK`s national dish.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:44 pm
Banned

Well apart from Spanish food I also love northern Italian dishes, Mexican food, Thai food, Hungarian food and also Peruvian which is one of the hidden delights of South America. Also after living 8 years in the UK I discovered Indian curry which is probably my personal favorite and can definately understand why its the UK`s national dish.
They need all the curry to keep them warm Jules ;-) Especially at the moment. Saves on heating bills.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:48 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

They need all the curry to keep them warm Jules ;-) Especially at the moment. Saves on heating bills.
You mave have a point there especially concerning the hearing bills
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

lentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant futurelentil_curry has a brilliant future

I am hoping I won't have any regrets The hardest part for me is leaving my 14 yr old daughter with her dad. (17 yr old is off to uni) I am returning because I am in poor health mainly, and have been fortunate enough to find a wonderful man in the UK who accepts my limitations..... I cannot see remaining in the USA with deteriorating health - I don't want to rely on my ex for anything!

Still scared in so many ways...
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lentil_curry
I am hoping I won't have any regrets The hardest part for me is leaving my 14 yr old daughter with her dad. (17 yr old is off to uni) I am returning because I am in poor health mainly, and have been fortunate enough to find a wonderful man in the UK who accepts my limitations..... I cannot see remaining in the USA with deteriorating health - I don't want to rely on my ex for anything!

Good luck - with your move back home
It will be hard without your children - but having someone to lean on will make things much easier
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lentil_curry

You need to think about you and put your health first. Everything else will sort itself out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.