Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:56 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by gmralston
Good post Cricket, you're right about the seasons too, I do miss them.
Me too.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by davesheppard
Hi all,

This is my first post so I apologise if anything is said that isnt in the right place etc...

I moved to Zakynthos in early 2000 and was very happy to be leaving the UK for good with my family. My daughters had both secured work over there and I thought about early retirement to keep the family together.

It took a while to settle in and learn the lingo but the relaxed lifestyle and weather was completely worthwhile and the past 8 and a half years have been a delight.

Due to a family circumstances we had to upsticks and move back to the UK as my daughters decided to both leave their jobs at the same time and have a 'long' holiday with us which almost crippled me financially!

Moved to Brixton, London late October last year and I have to say it was a shock coming back to such a busy and rude place - did not like it at all!!!! The move back went well and I will comment on that another time.

We are all back into work now and was lucky to secure a job with my old company. I'm back into the British lifestyle now and I do like to be kept busy but at the same time I miss not having any responsibility or meetings.

Im craving to go back to Greece! Has anyone else on this forum been in Greece and had to come back?

At least its slightly sunny here today!

DaveSheppard
I haven't lived in Greece but it was my favorite holiday destination when I lived in the UK. I visited Zakynthos about 15 years ago, a lovely island. I can understand why you would want to return if life was good there, especially now you are living in Brixton! Two very different places.

Have you not got the option to return to Greece?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:31 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Diggler. If you are so hell bent on going thinking UK is such a sh*t pit, why are you wasting your time hanigng about in the MBTTUK forum?

Please remember that most of your arguements for going to Canada are based on what you THINK you know about it, not from actual experience.
If you truly believe that being a police officer anywhere else is going to be any safer or easier you are seriously deluded. May I also say that police officers are not the only people who have to deal with the dregs of society. My husband works in forensic psychiatry inside a jail here in Sydney. He has 25yrs experince in his job, done it in 5 different countries and will tell you quite categorically, that no matter where you run to it will be same sh*t different bucket.
Go google youth crime Canada and see what you come up with. Do you seriously believe that a country land locked with the USA, which is notorious for youth gang culture, will be totally unaffected by its neighbours and not have the same stupid kids mimicking their neighbours?

As for the UK in general going down the pan. Rubbish!! I have been back there twice in the last 15mths and spent a total of 9mths living there. Where i was living is nothing like you describe.
If you are daft enough to place yourself in a crime hotspot, do a job were all you see is the ugly side of society and cant cope with it, that is your decision, but dont paint the entire nation with a brush seen by heavily tainted eyes like yours because of the job you do and the area you choose to do it in.

Do you seriously believe that in this huge global financial crisis that Canada is going to somehow fair better than the UK? If you do you are deluded.
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in manchester? The shit hole of the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in manchester? The shit hole of the UK.
Did someone get shot in broad daylight at Manchester airport?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
Just Joined

davesheppard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stm1971
I haven't lived in Greece but it was my favorite holiday destination when I lived in the UK. I visited Zakynthos about 15 years ago, a lovely island. I can understand why you would want to return if life was good there, especially now you are living in Brixton! Two very different places.

Have you not got the option to return to Greece?
It is a great destination for holidays and living, in the right the places anyway as the younger generation seem hellbent on destroying zakynthos during the summer mayhem months!

I will deffinately return to a Greek Island but lost a lot of money when selling up so it is simply a case of back to work and save for however long necessary to relocate again!

I retired early and got a bit bored to be honest so I think a few years here working and saving are required, the long holidays will just have to do for the moment.

Dave.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:54 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

This is such an interesting thread!!! Had so many insights into how people feel about the struggles of moving, settling etc...

I'm starting to wonder if it's a chemical imbalance in the brain which prevents people from feeling "I'm home"

I am fearful that I'll never feel 'home' once I leave here, but for me 'here' is feeling less and less like home anyway. My friends are moving to other parts of Aus, I don't have much family here anymore (just parents and a bro). And I'm gay which is really starting to give me that feeling of not belonging anywhere especially when I'm out with my friends and they are snuggling up with their girlfriends, they will one day be settling down, starting a family and I'm just wondering where the hell will I be???

I'm scared I'll never fit in anywhere, I'll just drift around. I HATE the gay scene, gay pride and the thought of being married to man makes me feel sick to my stomach but I have to live with the cards I've been dealt

oh such is life

Last edited by S E A N; May 22nd 2009 at 9:56 am. Reason: spelling mistake (omg not like me ;))
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:44 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
I'm starting to wonder if it's a chemical imbalance in the brain which prevents people from feeling "I'm home"
The chemical imbalance that you speak of, is something I very much believe in. Its the difference between making us winners or losers, optimists or pessimists, happy or sad........to address this imbalance is to really take control of your life.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:47 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I am fearful that I'll never feel 'home' once I leave here, but for me 'here' is feeling less and less like home anyway. My friends are moving to other parts of Aus, I don't have much family here anymore (just parents and a bro). And I'm gay which is really starting to give me that feeling of not belonging anywhere especially when I'm out with my friends and they are snuggling up with their girlfriends, they will one day be settling down, starting a family and I'm just wondering where the hell will I be???

I'm scared I'll never fit in anywhere, I'll just drift around. I HATE the gay scene, gay pride and the thought of being married to man makes me feel sick to my stomach but I have to live with the cards I've been dealt

oh such is life
Overcome your dislike of being married to a man and adopt a child/children and the YOU TOO can fit in with the family life of your friends.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:09 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Overcome your dislike of being married to a man and adopt a child/children and the YOU TOO can fit in with the family life of your friends.
I do try overcome it, but at the end of the day I always wish that I could be normal per se'..... It's especially hard when you have some people that loath you and say I chose to be this way, if I could chose I wouldn't be in this predicament (probably why I'm drawn to Canada, that fact it's more accepted). I'm dumbfounded sometimes at what people say but I just have to turn my nose otherwise I'd be nervous wreck

My uncle was South African, moved to the UK lost his job, has no money, is getting evicted and might have to return to South Africa. the economy picks up!
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:33 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

I do try overcome it, but at the end of the day I always wish that I could be normal per se'..... It's especially hard when you have some people that loath you and say I chose to be this way, if I could chose I wouldn't be in this predicament (probably why I'm drawn to Canada, that fact it's more accepted). I'm dumbfounded sometimes at what people say but I just have to turn my nose otherwise I'd be nervous wreck

My uncle was South African, moved to the UK lost his job, has no money, is getting evicted and might have to return to South Africa. the economy picks up!
Given the fact that Aus is supposedly a macho environment where the men talk about manly stuff all day, arm-wrestle, tackle crocs, wear macho hats, drink beer and boast about their sexual exploits, a move to a more accepting country or environment may well be the solution. Saying this though, these same types will still be found in great numbers whether you are in the UK, USA or Canada only difference is, they won`t be wrestling with a croc and probably won`t be wearing macho hats. In north america though, these types just tend to wear their caps and hats the wrong way round (seemingly another macho thing to do)

Best and easiest solution, is just to move in more accepting circles when you can and avoid the bigots.

As for normal........what is normal? If what you do feels normal to you and doesn`t involve hurting or bothering others (running down others on this forum though, excepted from this rule) then its normal and shouldn`t been seen as anything else.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:39 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Errr Sean, Australia has the biggest Mardi Gras in the world. Where's your problem? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your perceived notion of not being accepted. Don't you accept yourself? You'll know when you do because if anyone else doesn't, you won't be affected by it.
So what have you got against gays?
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Errr Sean, Australia has the biggest Mardi Gras in the world. Where's your problem? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your perceived notion of not being accepted. Don't you accept yourself? You'll know when you do because if anyone else doesn't, you won't be affected by it.
Feel sick thinking about being married to a man? Sorry to sound so stupid but doesnt that mean that maybe your not gay??? just a bit indifferent to relationships?? Get a dog/cat life would be so much easier... If I wasnt happily married to my husband I wouldnt even bother with "relationships" enjoy your life and stop worrying about what other people think and get out of that circle of "friends" they obviously give you no support whatsoever!!!!
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
never settled

Originally Posted by cricket1
I hate the whole mardi gras thing, I just find the whole thing a weirdo festival, it doesn't do anything for gay rights, all it does is make it worse...

"So what have you got against gays?"

Nothing, I just wish I wasn't one. If you met me you would never guess it, I act and sound like a straight person.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:08 pm
never settled

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Feel sick thinking about being married to a man? Sorry to sound so stupid but doesnt that mean that maybe your not gay??? just a bit indifferent to relationships?? Get a dog/cat life would be so much easier... If I wasnt happily married to my husband I wouldnt even bother with "relationships" enjoy your life and stop worrying about what other people think and get out of that circle of "friends" they obviously give you no support whatsoever!!!!
Nah you don't sound stupid

I wish haha! It's just when I think about the future, I think of having a boyfriend or even a husband and I just fill with dread and it makes me feel sick. When I see gay couples on TV shows I think to myself I don't want that! I want the wife and kids!

Nahhhhh they are very supportive friends it's just because of my situation that we are unfortunately growing apart I can't help but think if I wasn't gay I would never lose them, that life would just be so much easier. I do realize life can be hard for everybody but it never changes my mindset

I don't know what I feel anymore, I'm hoping by moving I can start a life for myself where I can have peace of mind and just feel happy for once.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I hate the whole mardi gras thing, I just find the whole thing a weirdo festival, it doesn't do anything for gay rights, all it does is make it worse...
I find things such as rocks festivals, hippie style "Woodstock" festivals, Mardi Gras festivals, pride, biker meetings etc and any other type of specialist/outlandish festival to be extremely interesting. Because the weirdness of the these events, is the "thing" that makes them unique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.