Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:06 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
isn't it difficult to find a job in Gib?
Property is pricey too.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Gibraltar? you will have the benefit of having Spain nearby for luscious beaches and the petrol is £0.54p a litre!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

So far in my internet Search of things like "dual citizenship" and/or caribbean residency and/or EU passport, I have only found hints that St. Martin is a place you can move to "without all the bleeping forms" if you hold an EU passport.
Nevis and Dominica have "economic citizenship" programs that mean you can pay $100,000 to $200,000 (US) to buy a passport, but that is a different case.

My question, as with the original post remains, where can one retire to where there is a salubrious climate and favourable tax haven and tax structure (no tax on income from investments outside the country).
(Panama comes to mind, but the EU passport is worthless in Panama).
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:00 am
Banned

sabbahrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alkristensen
hi

i am in the process of applying to live in australia, but will probably fail on the fact that i have 2 drink driving convictions, so does anyone know of an english speaking place in the world that is warm and by the ocean where you dont need a visa or at least all the bloody checks to live(unlike america and australia), I dont care if its an island or a continent, and have heard of a SAINT something or other that is half french halfr brit where you just need a brit passport and a few other bits and bats to gain residency or at least work and live.
Its in the caribbean somewhere, but i cant remember what it6s called if anyone knows it would be a great help.

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk

any names or help wouold be mjuch appreciated after i have spent nearly 4 grand on maybe failiong trhe oz visa.

alk
try philippines....i have a room for foreigners..

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 24th 2008 at 3:07 am. Reason: phone number removed
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

These are good criteria, (below) those, and a tax haven too would be nice.
Nivis and St Kitts are British speaking but don't care about the EU passport so you need to invest there or buy real estate if you can afford the Minimum $350,000 US buy in.

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:53 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

nothing like digging up a 4 year old thread.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
nothing like digging up a 4 year old thread.
.......again.....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

Lauraandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like we’re all looking for the elixir of life!

Trouble is everywhere comes with a price or a problem.

Keep us informed, as knowledge is power!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:59 am
V&G
Just Joined

V&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to allV&G is a name known to all

A perfect escape without the paperwork! & very low tax with great beaches - not quite the caribbean but worth a look...

:http//propertyworld.com/_property_252855_St%20Anne_Alderney_Channel%20Isla nds_for_sale

... main island industries are finance (offshore & linked to Guernsey without the two tier housing problem or needing the ££m that you do for Jersey) and tourism...

even if you don't fancy running a business it make a great big happy family house & there are future potential possibilities for subdivision & cashing in ... current state debate on house splitting.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Meat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really nice

Hi ,

check out through google Britsh crown colonies, you´ll be surprised
what is still under the flag.

You didn´t say whether you have to work for a living or not? this should be
worth considering.

The cruise ship industry is massive and is still expanding, I worked on 7 ships inside three years, stressy but wow!

Meat and two veg
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

I think the Secret is the EU passport...

(not just UK) I could be wrong about this

But it looks like Guadloupe and St Martin are still officially a part of France and you as a EU citizen can relocate there without paper work. (But I don't know that for sure, just what I have read on the internet.)

FWIW

this is interesting:

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?article379

Entry and residence of EU Nationals
British citizens intending to live in France should have a valid passport (only nationals from Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands can seek employment upon production of their national Identity Card). As for other EU nationals, a work permit or a visa is no longer necessary. However, please note that British citizens native of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not regarded as EU citizens
.According to EU law, EU nationals have up to 3 months to apply for a "Carte de séjour de ressortissant de l’Union Européenne" (EU resident permit) at the "Préfecture" or "Commissariat de Police" (Police Station) of your place of residence. The "Carte de séjour" will be granted upon production of:
A valid passport A birth certificates or a marriage certificate, and proof of accommodation) Proof that you pay contributions to the French Social Security scheme 3 passport photographs A contract of employment or the necessary authorisations from the Chamber of Commerce in case of self-employment Or if you are retired a proof that you receive a state pension (from France or your home country) Or if you are student, a proof that you have registered with a French University
Or if you are married to a French National, a copy of your marriage certificate
If you are staying for a limited duration, a resident permit will be issued for this period of time, after which your situation will be re-examined.
If you are planning to stay on a permanent basis, a resident permit will be issued for 5 years. After these 5 years, your permit can be renewed for 10 more years if you are still employed on permanent basis.
Please note that the right of residence - granted with the resident permit - can be extended to the permit holder’s spouse; dependant descendants under 21, dependants ascendants and spouse’s ascendants.

Last edited by akatomw; Apr 16th 2008 at 9:55 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

How about the Dutch Antillies?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kim

this was posted in the other Thread in the Caribbean about this issue

see the last paragraph for info on the new changes to the Dutch Antillies

Originally Posted by pgtips
Well you can forget St Lucia, because you will have to fill out the forms and have proper background checks.
Why should you as a Brit expect to go to another country without them knowing exactly what kind of person they are taking on board ? Think about it, have you got anything to hide ?
I think the Focus should be the legal status the EU passport grants a holder as a citizen of the EU. With that in mind I think St Martin (the French side) is still considered a part of France and so is Guadaloupe my limited internet research suggests holders of an EU passports require no onward air ticket when they arrive there. So in your search try to google for travel restrictions in Caribbean nations about EU passports and the requirement of an onward or return ticket. Some places do not require EU passport holders to have a return ticket when they land because of the free movement agreement of people within the EU (If I understand that section of the agreement correctly).

But I could be wrong and would be happy if sometime else would point out the error of my conclusions. For me St. Martin looks like it would be a suitable location to relocate with an EU passport in hand.
(I think)

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea..._where_euro-26

"The territory of the EU consists of the combined territories of its 27 member states with some exceptions outlined below. The territory of the EU is not the same as that of Europe, as parts of the continent are outside the EU, such as Switzerland, Norway and European Russia. Some parts of member countries are not part of the EU, despite forming part of the European continent (for example the Channel Islands and Faroe Islands). Several territories associated with member states that are outside geographic Europe are also not part of the EU (such as Greenland, Aruba, the Netherlands Antilles and all the non-European territories associated with the United Kingdom). Some overseas territories are part of the EU even if they are not geographically part of Europe, such as the Azores, the Canary Islands, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Madeira, Martinique, Réunion, Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin.[25][26][27]"

more here:

this is interesting:

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?article379

Entry and residence of EU Nationals
British citizens intending to live in France should have a valid passport (only nationals from Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands can seek employment upon production of their national Identity Card). As for other EU nationals, a work permit or a visa is no longer necessary. However, please note that British citizens native of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not regarded as EU citizens
.According to EU law, EU nationals have up to 3 months to apply for a "Carte de séjour de ressortissant de l’Union Européenne" (EU resident permit) at the "Préfecture" or "Commissariat de Police" (Police Station) of your place of residence. The "Carte de séjour" will be granted upon production of:
A valid passport A birth certificates or a marriage certificate, and proof of accommodation) Proof that you pay contributions to the French Social Security scheme 3 passport photographs A contract of employment or the necessary authorisations from the Chamber of Commerce in case of self-employment Or if you are retired a proof that you receive a state pension (from France or your home country) Or if you are student, a proof that you have registered with a French University
Or if you are married to a French National, a copy of your marriage certificate
If you are staying for a limited duration, a resident permit will be issued for this period of time, after which your situation will be re-examined.
If you are planning to stay on a permanent basis, a resident permit will be issued for 5 years. After these 5 years, your permit can be renewed for 10 more years if you are still employed on permanent basis.
Please note that the right of residence - granted with the resident permit - can be extended to the permit holder’s spouse; dependant descendants under 21, dependants ascendants and spouse’s ascendants.

Therefore according to this St Barths and Saint Martin ARE a part of France and the EU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_...Collectivities

Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy
In 2003 the population of Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy voted in favour of secession from Guadeloupe in order to form separate overseas collectivities of France.[2] On February 7, 2007, the French Parliament passed a bill granting COM status to both Saint Barthélemy and neighbouring Saint Martin. [3] The new status took effect on 22 February 2007 when the law was published in the Journal Officiel.[4] They remain part of the European Union, as explicitly stated in the Treaty of Lisbon.[5]

The question boils down to what is part of the EU and what is not:

here is some more web info: (if you can wait the Dutch will welcome you in Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius on Dec 15 2008 when the rules change :-)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=543111&page=7

^ The French Guiana is part of the EU (outermost region), as well as all other French overseas departments Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion, and also the overseas Collectivity of Saint Martin (until February 22, 2007 it was part of Guadeloupe), which just stayed in the EU. But other French dependent areas aren't.

The Netherlands Antilles aren't in the EU and is to be disbanded on December 15, 2008, when part of them (Sint Maarten and Curaçao) will become associated states within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, whereas the rest of them (Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius) will become a direct part of the Netherlands as special municipalities, and thus also become parts of the EU! So, welcome!

akatomw notes:

Further internet research indicates that the Dec 15 2008 date is more of a target date. If you search for Dutch or Netherlands "BES" and "Dec 15 2008" you can learn more:

http://thedailyherald.com/news/daily/k200/bes200.html

Try also "Constitutional status" BES and "Dec 15 2008"

how the laws will change:

http://www.arcocarib.com/bonaire/art...eaties-to-bes/

Quote:
"
Current situation Dutch Antilles
The Dutch Antilles, still consist of the islands Bonaire Curacao, St. Maarten, Saba and St. Eustatius, is a democracy based on underlying rights such as freedom of press and expression, establisment of political parties etc. The country is politically reasonably stable compared with neighbouring islands in the Caribbean. As an autonomous state within the Kingdom of the Netherlands the country is entirely responsible for its internal affairs. Defence and foreign affairs are dealt with at province level within the Kingdom.

Jurisdiction and Country island
The Dutch Antilles have 2 layers of directors: a central government and an island government. The country has its jurisdiction at central level and this includes General Affairs and External Relations, Economics and Labour, Constitutional and internal Affairs, Health and Social Development, Justice, Education and Culture, Finance, Transport, Public Works and Transport.
The various island governments are responsible for matters within the frameworks of the National ordinances such as in the area of economic development, establishment of enterprises, work permits, infrastructure and the (air) port.

Future situation for Bonaire
The Dutch Antilles are now one country, which consists of five islands: Bonaire, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba. Referendums in 2004 showed that the West Indies required another structure. The three BES - Islands (Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba) work towards a new position in the Dutch constitution in 2008 which is very similar to a municipality, as will be defined in the draft version of the Act on public bodies BES islands. The Kingdom of the Netherlands consist at the moment of the countries the Netherlands (Holland), Dutch Antilles and Aruba. On December 15, 2008, Kingdom day, the Dutch Antilles as a country are going to be dissolved, and Curacao and St. Maarten will go down as new autonomous countries (similar to the status of Aruba) and the BES Islands as a public body, a special municipality, of the Netherlands."
http://www.kralendijk.net/en/New+constitution.2951

news from Saba:

http://www.sabatourism.com/communitynews525.html

Last edited by akatomw; Apr 23rd 2008 at 12:55 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Bu11dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tone
Try Ascension Island
LMAO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.