Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: Astra 2F - Bye bye BBC & ITV?

I find it difficult to understand what the normal service is, was or will be easily....
As I see it....Public Sector Broadcasters (ie BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5) and BSkyB have broadcast their programming on a combination of Astra 2A/2B/2D/1N and Eutelsat 28A. Throw UK spot beams and Pan European beams into the mix and it becomes very difficult to follow!
All PSB will transfer completely to the Astra UK spot beams on the new satellites 2E and 2F according to that article by next summer. As we know, once the channels are transferred we cannot receive them in the Algarve on our current equipment and it seems unlikely that increasing dish size will help. (Unless you can buy a dish from Jodrell Bank!)
What will be left is also difficult to predict. Looking at High Definition broadcasts by BSkyB they too are all Astra based now so will be an Astra 2E/2F/2G in the future. Unlike PSB's, Sky can use a combination of 3 satellites and 2 beams as some of their channels are encrypted, or subscription, only.
In short, Keep Calm and Carry On for 6 Months?!
Then again...I might have it all wrong!!

Last edited by Mike; Dec 12th 2012 at 6:58 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:07 am
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

From the horses mouth

Changes to BBC satellite transponders in 2013, from Alix Pryde, Director, BBC Distribution

I’m conscious that there is currently some speculation about the timing of forthcoming moves of BBC services between satellites and the reason for these changes. So I thought you would appreciate it if I set the record straight. The quick answer is that, as a result of SES’s fleet replacement programme, BBC services will move in the second half of 2013.

Regular readers will recall that in February 2012, SES retired Astra 2D and BBC services moved to a new temporary home on Astra 1N. Astra 1N is due to take up its permanent position in 2013 (19°East), so the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E (28.2°East) when that becomes operational. SES expects Astra 2E to launch in Q2 2013, so we currently expect to transition BBC services to it during summer 2013.

Some of you have also noticed that we commissioned a new transponder (which we call DSat8) in the autumn. It moved from its temporary home on Astra 1N to its permanent position on Astra 2F at the end of November 2012. DSat8 is still in a testing phase but in the coming months it will be used to broadcast BBC One Scotland HD and BBC One Wales HD as we complete the programme of providing all Nations programming in HD. We’ll be publishing the details of DSat8 on our satellite reception advice page when the services launch.

I hope that clarifies the timings of moves and also that the moves relate to the SES fleet replacement programme, rather than any BBC strategy to change its footprint. That said, the new transponders do have a slightly different footprint, so I’ll explain a bit about that, and why the changes are no cause for concern for the BBC in our requirement to ensure that the BBC’s domestic services are readily accessible to people living in the UK.

What impact will all this have for the viewer?

In all likelihood the move of BBC services from 1N to their new permanent homes will have no impact on UK households. Astra 2E and 2F have the same, tighter but slightly more powerful UK spot beams which means that UK households should get a slightly stronger signal. So if you happened to be on the edge of coverage, you will hopefully get more reliable reception.

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. I know that this causes unhappiness to some of you living outside the UK. However, it is entirely appropriate because the BBC domestic services are for people living in the UK only.

For viewers outside the UK, BBC Worldwide offers a number of channels which are available in various territories. These include BBC Entertainment,BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle, CBeebies along withBBC World News throughout Europe and the rest of the world.

I hope the detail above helps you to understand a bit more about the changes coming in the second half of 2013 and the reason for them. Finally, thank you to SES for the lovely pictures of Astra 2F.

There you have it.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 6:38 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Sky signals will also be moving to the new sat 2F in january.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EMR
The 2F satellite is just not large enough to accommodate this. At the moment there are Eutelsat 28A and Astra 2A 2B and 2F and 1N transmitting to us.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 4:51 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

It has been rumoured that SOME channels on Astra 2B may be moving to 2F.
When - unknown and not confirmed by Sky or Astra yet...
Some say 16-18th, some say sometime in January...

So it will not be ALL sky channels.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sagalaut
Tvcatchup can be downloaded for windows and android and perhaps others
I've downloaded TVcatchup on my computer no problem, but when I log in and pick a channel it just won't work, I'm on XP, maybe a newer version of Windows is needed? Or a stronger broadband?

Another thing, if I want to watch it on my TV can I plug in my (yet to buy)tablet into the telly? Sorry, not a real techy person..
Old Jan 17th 2013, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

To watch live UK TV you don't need to download anything just Google Filmon.com

Almost all UK TV is there and free and should work with XP. It works fine on my machines and they all use Ubuntu Linux and also on my friends Linux machines.

You can get a USB adapter that will connect your Tablet to your TV so long as your Tablet has a spare USB port.

Peter " Dreams can come true "

www.iberianspices>com

Last edited by peterfc; Jan 17th 2013 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Wow thanks Peter that worked straight off (contrary to tvcatchup), spent only a few minutes on it but it does seem a viable alternative, I clicked on ITV and gave me the midlands regional setting, can that be changed to your knowledge? I just wonder what's all the fuss around BBC iPlayer's geotargeting and tightening their satellites when there're web options like these out there which offer everything everywhere no questions asked for little money or even free..
Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don't know about setting but i seem to be getting London TV. Sometime tomorrow i will have a look and see if there are ant settings that can be changed.

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old Jan 18th 2013, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Another thing, if I want to watch it on my TV can I plug in my (yet to buy)tablet into the telly? Sorry, not a real techy person..
================================================== =======

If your TV has a HDMI port and your intended tablet has a HDMI port out, then the two can be connected directly by an HDMI cable.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:24 am
Just Joined

hovisbap is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
Originally Posted by brodev
The 2F satellite is just not large enough to accommodate this. At the moment there are Eutelsat 28A and Astra 2A 2B and 2F and 1N transmitting to us.
Originally Posted by The Guy
It has been rumoured that SOME channels on Astra 2B may be moving to 2F.
When - unknown and not confirmed by Sky or Astra yet...
Some say 16-18th, some say sometime in January...

So it will not be ALL sky channels.
It looks as if this is taking place as predicted.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

tellyholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hovisbap
It looks as if this is taking place as predicted.
What makes you think this? Have you lost some channels?
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

hovisbap is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tellyholic
Not personally, but there are numerous reports of 2A and 2B channels being lost in the Canaries and Scandinavia.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question is, what makes you think otherwise? They've been talking about this for a very long time now, and it's definitely gonna happen, what the new UKbeam will mean to us living abroad in terms of dish size no one really knows, apparently, but it's likely to make things difficult.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Folk on far fringes have reported loss of signal. Others have reported reduction in signal strength.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.