Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Anybody worried by dutertes view?

Anybody worried by dutertes view?

Old May 2nd 2017, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody worried by dutertes view?

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
But after Yolanda China gave less aid than a Swedish furniture shop.
Yeah, you know the Chinese... they don't believe in throwing good money after bad - and Haiyan was when Aquino was still at the helm & sabre-rattling/drum-beating/posturing over the Spratlys spat.

I've done more business with mainland Chinese than I care to admit - and these are shrewd, calculative, penny-pinching "what's in it for me" SOBs with a streak meaner than Scrooge and a purse string tighter than a nun's aperture. The only time Chinese would hand over money is if/when there's an objective to be achieved, or an advantage to be had.

Having said that, who knows, with the way SEA - Philippines & Malaysia readily come to mind at the moment - is bending over backwards to China, Duterte might still end up getting a fistfull of dollars from Beijing in exchange for not planting the Pinoy flag on some rocky shoals in the South China Sea eh?

Last edited by xizzles; May 2nd 2017 at 7:21 am.
Old May 2nd 2017, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the Chinese do not give monety away, they will just buy your soul.
Old May 12th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

The new duterte appointed DFA chief claimed a success at the UN meeting in Switzerland. After he explained everything about there being no EJKs here, there was a vote, 45 out of 46 voted against the Philippines. Defines a whole new meaning to success.
Old May 12th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
I've done more business with mainland Chinese than I care to admit - and these are shrewd, calculative, penny-pinching "what's in it for me" SOBs with a streak meaner than Scrooge and a purse string tighter than a nun's aperture. The only time Chinese would hand over money is if/when there's an objective to be achieved, or an advantage to be had.
I had some meetings with them regarding an offshore oil field development in the 1990s. Day one we met with the main contractor, day two we met with our possible client, same faces as the day before. You have to be really smart to out smart the Chinese.