A few questions...

Old May 23rd 2017, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Baggins.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions...

Ok.

Probably read this a thousand times but... I have a job offer to come to the Philippines. This is with a good company, who will provide the usual moving support, property agent, go look see visit, visa sponsor, etc.

However, having relocated before, I know from experience that local knowledge is key to a more fuller picture in support of an impending decision to move.

For specifics to some of my questions. I will be moving with a family of 4. I will be travelling around Asia, so not always at home. Ages of children 4&7 bilingual French and English. Wife stays at home with the kids currently. Two cats and a dog will also be coming....

What I am after is advice on good areas to live. The office I will be working at is By the European chamber of commerce.

I read that traffic is bad and shouldn't plan to drive if I can help it.

I also read that I should live in a gated community...? Not sure if I could get an appartment that would take the animals and the kids (they're interchangeable sometimes).

I'm keen to know about the international schooling there. Prices and experience (if you have any).

Medical emergencies? I assume that the hospitals are decent but I don't know. Never needed to use one in the Philippines, have you?

Doctor surgeries. Is it easy enough to get an appointment? I assume the same as the 'medical emergencies'...

Any thoughts on the social aspects. Taking a family to dinner, weekend getaways. Or even the wife just taking the kiddies out one night. Any concerns?

Crime? I read about the war on drugs. What about petty crime. Robberies, break-ins or anything else to worry about.

The rest I can read up on. But any pointers / advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by Baggins.B; May 23rd 2017 at 1:57 am.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions...

I do not know where to start

If you live in a gated community it will probably be a house not a condo. a house may have less restrictions on pets, you are just going to have to ask.

International schools vary in price, have you tried google and contacted the schools for price? They have school buses if you feel ok with that

Medical emergencies will by definition be hospital. They are all private and expensive. I would have expected your employer to have this covered.

Most malls have a large clinic area where you draw a meat ticket and wait in line to be called, assuming the DR is not on his customary two hour late schedule.

Plenty of places to dine out in Makati, Greenbelt mall complex is huge and covers most tastes.

As for driving only do it if you feel you cannot do without
Old May 27th 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions...

Originally Posted by Baggins.B
Wife stays at home with the kids currently. Two cats and a dog will also be coming....
Not too sure where you are thinking of living, but if it is the country side be warned that pet UK cats do become easy prey for the local pythons.