Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2 months in ..... Going home?

2 months in ..... Going home?

Old Sep 1st 2013, 11:59 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months in ..... Going home?

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
That is exactly what we agreed to as well... if one wasnt happy we would move. Its a compromise when there are two people to make the decision... it takes communcation.
we decided the same too. Even if the other half loved it here, if one of us was unhappy then we would come home. The hardest part for me was admitting that I wanted to come home so early after we had arrived here

Think he had guessed before I told him.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
we decided the same too. Even if the other half loved it here, if one of us was unhappy then we would come home. The hardest part for me was admitting that I wanted to come home so early after we had arrived here

Think he had guessed before I told him.
I actually think we both feel it, just hard to admit and the whole what ifs, but also justifying to other people why we moved back (although its not BACK!! :-) , its next step forward)
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:30 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
I actually think we both feel it, just hard to admit and the whole what ifs, but also justifying to other people why we moved back (although its not BACK!! :-) , its next step forward)
That's exactly what we'll be doing. I must remember, it's not back, it's the next step forward. Which is what you just said.

Ooh ! I feel all light hearted and positive now.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:37 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
we decided the same too. Even if the other half loved it here, if one of us was unhappy then we would come home.
That's what my husband told me too. After my most recent turn down for a job last Thursday I took my disappointment/frustration out on my husband. (There was no broken crockery, broken bones or police intervention I might add )

He's accepted it's not really working, us living here. Nothing is going to happen overnight, however he's aware of my feelings.

Against the day we exit from Wanganui I will remark on it to my Dad in a, 'by the way' kind of tone.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 2nd 2013 at 1:40 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Bexie7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 2 months in ..... Going home?

We had always agreed that if one didn't like we would go. So we are sticking to our original plan. With regards to the working days, it didn't bother my hubby doing the extra hour, as he usually stayed late in UK anyway to avoid traffic and still get home at same time if he'd left on time. The major problem was my shifts. Being shorter than I'm used to (did 12hrs down to 9) meant more days in. In the 3 months of working here I had 2 full weekends off. And I did mostly late shifts (til 11pm), I got up after he left for work and he went to bed before I got home, meaning we didn't see each other for most of the week. I've got job interviews lined up back home, and have confirmed the shift times etc and theses will allow us to spend actual time together. The Mr has his old job back, so we know what we're getting with that. After talks with people back and forth, we realise we're not "giving up". We're still working for a good life, be it UK or NZ. We're happy for those that can make the best of things here, but for us, we'd miss out on more by staying. Heading home while we still have enough money to do the things we want, better than crawling home in 2 years financially broke but feeling that we "stuck it out!". Flying out of Auckland tonight. Will always have fond memories but ready to see what the world throws at us next. Good luck to all!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Bexie7
We had always agreed that if one didn't like we would go. So we are sticking to our original plan. With regards to the working days, it didn't bother my hubby doing the extra hour, as he usually stayed late in UK anyway to avoid traffic and still get home at same time if he'd left on time. The major problem was my shifts. Being shorter than I'm used to (did 12hrs down to 9) meant more days in. In the 3 months of working here I had 2 full weekends off. And I did mostly late shifts (til 11pm), I got up after he left for work and he went to bed before I got home, meaning we didn't see each other for most of the week. I've got job interviews lined up back home, and have confirmed the shift times etc and theses will allow us to spend actual time together. The Mr has his old job back, so we know what we're getting with that. After talks with people back and forth, we realise we're not "giving up". We're still working for a good life, be it UK or NZ. We're happy for those that can make the best of things here, but for us, we'd miss out on more by staying. Heading home while we still have enough money to do the things we want, better than crawling home in 2 years financially broke but feeling that we "stuck it out!". Flying out of Auckland tonight. Will always have fond memories but ready to see what the world throws at us next. Good luck to all!

and oddly moving too. Good luck with your return.

'Better than crawling home in 2 years, financially broke but feeling that we, 'stuck it out'. Yup, can relate to that. However, as home ownership is a long term aim, we'll be here a while yet.

'Flying out of Auckland tonight' sigh x

Oh the good old days when flying out of Auckland meant, 'going home'. Or, 'get me the flock out of here !' was how I really felt.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

No reason at all why you can't have a "good life" back in the UK. I do like the part where you talk about limping back 2 yrs later financially broke...

Hope the long arduous flight goes OK...
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 3:30 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
That's exactly what we'll be doing. I must remember, it's not back, it's the next step forward. Which is what you just said.

Ooh ! I feel all light hearted and positive now.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bexie7
Flying out of Auckland tonight. Will always have fond memories but ready to see what the world throws at us next. Good luck to all!
Welcome home!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 3:27 am
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Welcome home!
Fabulous
Old Sep 4th 2013, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Welcome home!
+1