Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Originally Posted by derbyduck
In reply to the sky rocketing wages. My facts are i went to Aus 2004 my hourly rate in Christchurch was $21. I returned in 2015 and the best rate i got was $26. Now i am back in W.A. on between Aus $34-47 and not FIFO.

Could also be the sign of the next recession and the wages in Christchurch are more realistic. If I can produce the same product, or offer the same services at half the cost, then the cheaper location might become more attractive for investment and the location that now offers higher wages might have to reduce salaries to be competitive, or you have job losses. Of course it depends on field you work in, but just saying that these are also things to consider.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 11:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I am wondering if we had a mini-tornado or some other suck blight or pestilence that wiped out the crop of NZ leeks @ $2.99 each for heaven's sake.
I paid $2.48 for a leek in PakNSave this morning. Are Auckland property prices affecting the price of leeks now ?

I could have paid nearly $20.00 per kg for some skinless, boneless chicken thighs. Or I could have purchased them with the skin on and bone in on special offer for $4.98 per kg. Therefore making them a quarter of the price just because someone (probably on minimum wage) had processed them.

Never mind, I purchased a ham bone (the end of the champagne ham) from Countdown for $3.00 to make ham and vegetable soup with.

Hang on, it's just dawned on me. The ham bone that I bought (that has easily about 200g of meat on it once I've rendered it off by simmering it) is only one cent dearer than a leek that you bought. Way hey ! Way to go New Zealand

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 28th 2016 at 11:55 pm. Reason: per kg
Old May 1st 2016, 3:25 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt there will be any leek soup on the go then!
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:04 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I doubt there will be any leek soup on the go then!
The leek and vegetable soup I made for lunch at the weekend was delicious.

Anyway,
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:45 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Peppers and eggs with olive bread tonight. This is a family favourite cos it uses loads of garlic and smoked paprika in a wilted pepper stew that eggs are baked into. Yum yum.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:03 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Peppers and eggs with olive bread tonight. This is a family favourite cos it uses loads of garlic and smoked paprika in a wilted pepper stew that eggs are baked into. Yum yum.
Clearly this post was supposed to be on the "whats for dinner" thread I can confirm that at the right time of year peppers and eggs is equally as cheap both sides of the Tasman
Old May 4th 2016, 12:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by derbyduck
In reply to the sky rocketing wages. My facts are i went to Aus 2004 my hourly rate in Christchurch was $21. I returned in 2015 and the best rate i got was $26.
This matches NZ trade rates as I know it.

2004 $21
2016 $28