Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How long do you need to get over jet lag & start work?

How long do you need to get over jet lag & start work?

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How long do you need to get over jet lag & start work?

Hi everyone,

So we have FINALLY both got our visas this week - Should have got them about four weeks ago but thanks to errors made by INZ we have had sleepless nights 'til now

Anyhow, such is life.. Now it's actually a reality that we are going to live in New Zealand, it's just a case of deciding when to go!

As we're certainly NOT flying First or Business class, probably not even Premium Economy , I was wondering when we should start work after we arrive in NZ..? I should mention that I don't sleep on planes, so without the benefit of a seat that goes fully flat in First/Bus. I'll be stuck in the pleb's section, not sleeping, probably surrounded by coughing adults and crying babies and fretting about officially emigrating..!

I was considering 2 weeks, just to chill out, get over jet lag, check out our surroundings, buy a car etc. Obviously OH's company is keen he starts ASAP..

What are your opinions on this?

Also, I would appreciate your opinions on airlines - Best bits/Worst bits.. I have been on Singapore Airlines before, not too bad (but then that was for only 13 hours..!).

Last edited by movingtonewzealand; Apr 23rd 2016 at 3:48 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long do you need to get over jet lag & start work?

One week at the very least, two to start your new adventure off on a good note - do some local exploring etc.

It takes me a week to stop that exhausted constant eye twitchery thing when I travel UK - NZ

I guess you don't want to annoy your new employer if they have a reason for wanting you to start asap but if no urgency I'd hope they would be flexible???
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 4:13 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
Hi everyone,

So we have FINALLY both got our visas this week - Should have got them about four weeks ago but thanks to errors made by INZ we have had sleepless nights 'til now

Anyhow, such is life.. Now it's actually a reality that we are going to live in New Zealand, it's just a case of deciding when to go!

As we're certainly NOT flying First or Business class, probably not even Premium Economy , I was wondering when we should start work after we arrive in NZ..? I should mention that I don't sleep on planes, so without the benefit of a seat that goes fully flat in First/Bus. I'll be stuck in the pleb's section, not sleeping, probably surrounded by coughing adults and crying babies and fretting about officially emigrating..!

I was considering 2 weeks, just to chill out, get over jet lag, check out our surroundings, buy a car etc. Obviously OH's company is keen he starts ASAP..

What are your opinions on this?

Also, I would appreciate your opinions on airlines - Best bits/Worst bits.. I have been on Singapore Airlines before, not too bad (but then that was for only 13 hours..!).
From a pure jet lag perspective and assuming you land in the daytime, I was advised to just stay up somehow for the first day. When you land, get out for the day sightseeing or whatever and drink plenty of coffee. Get your head down early evening (I lasted until about 7pm) Then crash out for 10 hours. This worked for me and within a couple of days I was pretty much there and able to function. It was about 5 days before i felt completely normal though. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

We usually fly Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific, Malaysian Airlines slightly less comfortable but still fine. Not flown Air NZ. Some airlines go via Dubai and another Australian stop, I wouldn't do that, I prefer two legs of equal pain lol

We've always gone straight there, just the standard wait time between legs but for the cost of a few nights hotel then it might be nice to do a little sightseeing to break up the journey??
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both - Just the info I needed.

I made the mistake when I went to Singapore (only 13 hours on the plane) of just sleeping as soon as I landed, which was in the day time - It took me about 4 days to settle into it. Obviously NZ is 36 hours away but it's good to know that on arrival you should try to stay awake if it's day time.. this is going to be tough but coffee will be key
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
We usually fly Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific, Malaysian Airlines slightly less comfortable but still fine. Not flown Air NZ. Some airlines go via Dubai and another Australian stop, I wouldn't do that, I prefer two legs of equal pain lol

We've always gone straight there, just the standard wait time between legs but for the cost of a few nights hotel then it might be nice to do a little sightseeing to break up the journey??
Yes, we are considering a little stop along the way (if the budget allows of course!!).
I've not heard much about Cathay Pacific, I'll have a look into it.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

We usually (6 x flights to nz or oz) fly late at night from Heathrow and arrive during the day in NZ, stay up the rest of the day, as late as you can, go to bed 7/8pm with a sleeping aid if poss (natural!!) and hopefully you'll wake at a reasonable hour and crack on with the day
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and do not attempt to drive when you arrive! There is an airport hotel in AKL or get taxi to city hotel and sort rental car in a day or two. You have the benefit of same side of road driving but do not underestimate how the travel might wipe you out.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course if fly Air NZ you have the pleasure of being interogated passing through US immigration plus only 23 kg luggage on economy. Eastbound airlines at least Singapore/Emirates/Qantas I believe are 30 kgs., not sure if any of them have increased emigrant allowances any more. Have to agree that one stop is preferable and there is a new one stop on Emirates via Dubai to AKL

Last edited by PB65; Apr 23rd 2016 at 5:55 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Oh and do not attempt to drive when you arrive! There is an airport hotel in AKL or get taxi to city hotel and sort rental car in a day or two. You have the benefit of same side of road driving but do not underestimate how the travel might wipe you out.
Great thanks Lisa Maree for that info - it's fab to hear from experience
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

We flew thru LA to Hawaii recently, it was bloody awful, truly deeply awful.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 9:13 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
Of course if fly Air NZ you have the pleasure of being interogated passing through US immigration plus only 23 kg luggage on economy. Eastbound airlines at least Singapore/Emirates/Qantas I believe are 30 kgs., not sure if any of them have increased emigrant allowances any more. Have to agree that one stop is preferable and there is a new one stop on Emirates via Dubai to AKL
I dont think they offer migrant allowances now, but on Ait NZ you can pay for up to 2 extra bags each for $195 for 23kgs which is good value. I am flying with them back to the UK next month for this reason and that i fiund their service excellent last year when we went to LA.

Have also flown Singapore and Emirates, happy with any of these to be honest.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates and Cathay have a 30kg baggage allowance. Paying a tadge extra with Cathay or Singapore (both good) gives you two 11 hour stages, much better than say 17 hours through Dubai. A stopver is only worth it if it is for at least 2 or three days or the extra hassle is just more tiring. Allow a min of 3-4 days for jet lag.

Peter
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

We flew thru LA to Hawaii recently, it was bloody awful, truly deeply awful.
Duly noted!
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kotare
Emirates and Cathay have a 30kg baggage allowance. Paying a tadge extra with Cathay or Singapore (both good) gives you two 11 hour stages, much better than say 17 hours through Dubai. A stopver is only worth it if it is for at least 2 or three days or the extra hassle is just more tiring. Allow a min of 3-4 days for jet lag.

Peter
Thanks I'll remember that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.