Worried about coming back

Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about coming back

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Well, it would have been a questionable narrative for the Polish Embassy in London to voice these concerns last year if there was nothing there:

“The Polish Embassy in London has said it is "shocked and deeply concerned" by reports of xenophobic abuse directed against the Polish community following the Brexit vote.”

Brexit: Polish Embassy responds after spark in reports of hate crime and racial abuse | The Independent

It’s not surprising that non-immigrant UK residents would not necessarily perceive many of these issues.
As I said, the knuckle draggers have always been there. In the immediate aftermath of the vote some felt they had been given licence to go out and make their views known but likewise elements of the media were very keen to focus on these incidents and build up a narrative which simply wasn't true.

Originally Posted by scot47
The deterioration has been incremental. Those living in Britain have not noticed the incremental changes. Those outside the shores of Albion who return are more likely to see it.
Either Brexit has led to a sharp increase in hate or it's been incremental over time, which is it? For what it's worth I spent five years overseas in Asia and Europe and I've been back for nearly five years now. I remember the slightest rise in support for the BNP about ten years ago which resulted in some BNP councillors being elected to local government and had many clutching their pearls and labelling it as proof of a rise in racism and xenophobia. Where are the BNP now? Similarly support for UKIP collapsed at the last election.

Most of the 30+ colleagues in my office are from elsewhere in Europe. All bar one were very disappointed by the referendum result and some said it made them feel less welcome but none of them have mentioned any unpleasantness as a result of the vote and none are planning to leave. On the contrary most are now completing the paperwork to become British citizens which I've been helping them with.

The UK is and remains an incredibly tolerant place and you'll struggle to find a comparable country which is more welcoming.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:30 am
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
As I said, the knuckle draggers have always been there. In the immediate aftermath of the vote some felt they had been given licence to go out and make their views known but likewise elements of the media were very keen to focus on these incidents and build up a narrative which simply wasn't true.

Either Brexit has led to a sharp increase in hate or it's been incremental over time, which is it? For what it's worth I spent five years overseas in Asia and Europe and I've been back for nearly five years now. I remember the slightest rise in support for the BNP about ten years ago which resulted in some BNP councillors being elected to local government and had many clutching their pearls and labelling it as proof of a rise in racism and xenophobia. Where are the BNP now? Similarly support for UKIP collapsed at the last election.

Most of the 30+ colleagues in my office are from elsewhere in Europe. All bar one were very disappointed by the referendum result and some said it made them feel less welcome but none of them have mentioned any unpleasantness as a result of the vote and none are planning to leave. On the contrary most are now completing the paperwork to become British citizens which I've been helping them with.

The UK is and remains an incredibly tolerant place and you'll struggle to find a comparable country which is more welcoming.
I feel you are wasting your breath, the media agenda has taken hold with some and facts aren't welcome.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
400,000 Ukrainians welcomed into Poland.
Well they would be considered being from the same race. It's like saying Ireland welcomed 100.000 British.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well they would be considered being from the same race. It's like saying Ireland welcomed 100.000 British.
So you are suggesting that refugees should only be accepted if they are from a different race.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:07 am
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

So you are suggesting that refugees should only be accepted if they are from a different race.
OMG, that has got to be the greatest case of reading between the lines
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You have a wild imagination.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes, I agree with this for the most part. But I do think Brexit has given a certain category license to come out. I hope it’s been shelved since last year’s high excitement. But to deny this as a media invention wouldn’t be accurate either.

Originally Posted by Desert_fairy
@Richard8655 you are spot on - Brexit has lent a hand to racism. I grew up in the North - East of England and had no racial issues until all this Brexit began to brew. Hence we decided to spend our summer somewhere else rather than Home (U.K)
Yes, our impression too. I think your ongoing concern is valid.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You mentioned the Polish Embassy in London is concerned. Ironically the Polish are all over the world but when you go to Poland you hardly see anyone from a different race and the government is closing the doors for refugees too so it's all relative.
True, the other side of the coin. Not that that’s a sensible approach either. But many Ukrainians are arriving over the last few years and are well accepted.

Last edited by Richard8655; Dec 29th 2017 at 12:55 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert_fairy
@Richard8655 you are spot on - Brexit has lent a hand to racism. I grew up in the North - East of England and had no racial issues until all this Brexit began to brew. Hence we decided to spend our summer somewhere else rather than Home (U.K)
You’ve been in Qatar for nearly a decade and yet you remember Brexit causing issues in the NE all that time ago. I certainly can’t relate to that (I grew up in County Durham) and even now see no signs of racism.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

I have never lived in Reading but have worked there. Traffic is a nightmare!! I can't really comment on the xenophobic nature of Reading though. I live near to London (St Albans) which is a lovely little place (although I believe it is one of the most expensive towns in the UK).

Anyway, good luck xx
Old Jan 6th 2018, 2:06 am
Just Joined

yassar is an unknown quantity at this point

Caversham & Lower Earley, Wokingham.

A very mixed society. Im pretty sure you wont have any problems with being the only brown guy in the village. As far as schools and colleges are concerned a short bus ride takes you to Henley. Henley does have some good schools. Unfortunately as i live around 30miles from these areas i cannot comment on schools.

Ofcourse you will get a few idiots saying go back to your own country - but if everyone listened Earley of Reading would be empty.