Worried about coming back

Old Dec 4th 2017, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Desert_fairy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried about coming back

Hi,
After a few years away I'm now planning on moving back to UK and hubby is thinking its best we go to Reading (somewhere) because of work.
My concern is all the hate crime we see and hear on the news. Since the Brexit and and all other incidences we read about I'm extremely concerned whether Reading will be a safe place to live. I have three young daughters whom have spent most of their lives as expats and are clueless to all this. For example- we spent last summer in the North East and my daughters were subjected to racial taunts when they were out cycling. When someone shouted "go back to your own country!" My daughter answered "how do you know we are expats and leaving next week!". Hence I need advise and help, I don't want to be the only brown face in the village.
Could anyone advise what's it like living in Reading? family areas to live in and avoid. Is it multicultural? So far we are looking at Caversham heights and lower early.

All responses are welcome.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about coming back

Lived about 10 miles south of Reading about 20 years ago.

Personally, I never like Reading - although it is regarded as a good shopping area, I always found the town centre scruffy, littered and frequented by 'yobs'.

Many business parks exist around the area with both new companies and old established IT and communications companies.

It is near to the M4 for good access to down south and into London.

The town has been multicultural for years and you are most unlikely to be harrassed for not being Anglo Saxon British. Very few town and cities where 'a brown face' is unusual these days in the UK.

There are some more attractive small towns and villages around Reading.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Reading and Maidenhead and I thought they were both peaceful places compared with towns in the Midlands and North. I lived quite close to the city centre in Reading and didn't experience any anti social problems. The traffic system is pretty bad in Reading so it is quite useful to live in a suburb that has good access to the M4 or the railway station.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Desert_Fairy,

I don't know Reading well enough to give any useful opinion but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry your daughters were subjected to racial taunts like that.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, for your responses. It is good to know I’m not the only one in the village.
I do hope things settle down in England - before we return. Does anyone have information about good secondary schools in Reading and which ones to avoid?
Old Dec 5th 2017, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I live a few miles from Reading and don't know Caversham very well, but I do know Lower Earley. Neither Reading or Lower Earley would be places I'd live in, but then I'm a country bumpkin so not keen on built up areas. I agree with SanDiegoGirl, Reading is a bit of a dump IMO and I try to avoid it wherever possible!

I can't help with secondary schools I'm afraid, we're in Wokingham Borough (might be worth looking at as it's got some of the best schools in the country, my daughter's secondary is unbelievably good), the only one I know in Reading is Kendrick which my daughter sat the exam for but we decided against it for various reasons. In Lower Earley you may be in catchment for Maiden Erlegh, which is supposed to be an excellent school, but as it's not our catchment area I haven't looked at it myself, so that's just what I've heard.

So although I'm living here and have a secondary age child, I'm not much use really! But you definitely won't be the only brown face in the town, lots of multiculturalism here thankfully.

HTH and good luck with the move.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 5th 2017 at 5:09 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you christmasoompa for your response.

My next question in Abbey school in Reading - does anyone have any experience of the senior school and what the girls are like?

I'm told (by council) all the good state schools are full - and places are only given if a child leaves.

Another area we are contemplating is Woodley or Wokingham - could anyone recommend which parts are family friendly and which to avoid.

Thank you all!
Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert_fairy
Thank you christmasoompa for your response.

My next question in Abbey school in Reading - does anyone have any experience of the senior school and what the girls are like?

I'm told (by council) all the good state schools are full - and places are only given if a child leaves.

Another area we are contemplating is Woodley or Wokingham - could anyone recommend which parts are family friendly and which to avoid.

Thank you all!
We looked at the Abbey, and really liked it. Most state schools will have people moving all the time though, so I wouldn't discount them - you can always stay on the waiting list.

Again, I'm not a fan of Woodley, too built up and a bit run down for me, but Wokingham is nice and as said above, schools are excellent. Wokingham frequently wins the 'best place for a family to live' awards, mainly due to the outstanding schools. See a previous post from me about my daughter's school - http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post12302415

Are you planning a visit to look at schools before moving back? If so, you can make sure you're living as close to your chosen school as possible so you're at the top of the waiting list and hopefully your daughter would get in quite quickly.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you again, Wokingham sounds appealing but don’t know the area or schools.
I read your previous post from the link you posted and it sounds great as my girls have certifications for Padi, climbing, and a lot more. Could you share the name of your daughters school please.
Most schools have a waiting list and I guess I’m afraid of not having a school for then in September.
Paying private fees will literally stop us from having a life altogether and probably mean spending an awful amount of tine counting pennies.
However, not knowing the area or surrounding areas we are just hoping for the best.

We are planning to come to Uk for a visit towards the end of January when the weather is a little better as I don’t want to put the girls off( they’ve never experienced really cold weather - and only seen snow on skiing trips)
Old Dec 9th 2017, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'll PM you the name of the school. If you're over in Jan and want a coffee and to chat schools/areas, just let me know.

And don't forget that the council have a duty to give you a school place, so it's not that they won't have one in September - it may not be your choice and may be further away, but they will have a place and then you can go on the waiting list for your first choice if necessary.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 9th 2017 at 11:54 am.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'll PM you the name of the school. If you're over in Jan and want a coffee and to chat schools/areas, just let me know.

And don't forget that the council have a duty to give you a school place, so it's not that they won't have one in September - it may not be your choice and may be further away, but they will have a place and then you can go on the waiting list for your first choice if necessary.
Thank you, I’ll be in touch
Old Dec 9th 2017, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Racism and Xenophobia are definitely on the increase all over the UK
Old Dec 13th 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Racism and Xenophobia are definitely on the increase all over the UK
If not all over the world

But lets not forget the growing number of supportive and engaging humanity individuals amongst us.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Ok all, thank you all for supportive feedback. It’s going to be very truck to get the girls into any of the outstanding state schools as most are oversubscribed and have waiting lists already. We have decided to go with the Abbey School but would like to know more about the secondary school and what it’s like? Are the girls nice there?
The area we are thinking of is Earley as it’s near to the school - any recommendations of streets to live in and what to avoid?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

YorkshireUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know much about the area I am afraid but I do know that children that do not have a school eventually qualify for the fair access protocol. This usually elevates you up towards the top (if not the top) of the waiting list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fair-access-protocols-in-school-admissions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.