Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Two months back and huge mistake - help!

Two months back and huge mistake - help!

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Stevo78x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two months back and huge mistake - help!

All - so we moved back to the UK after nearly 6 years in Canada. My husband is Canadian but lived in the UK for 8 yrs before we left.... we thought we wanted to return to the UK to be closer to family after having a child but it was clearly a huge mistake. We never missed living in the UK, never missed the UK when we came back on vacation and we completely overlooked this when we decided to move back. We sold ourselves on all the plus points of the UK but we got carried away and now we are back its just wrong! I know many will think we need to give it time - but its not like we havent lived here before... we know what its like and we loved Canada... so thank you but not looking for advice on how to make it work here. We have decided we are going back to Canada - its the how I need help with.

I feel like there is an actual hole in my heart and cant believe I made this mistake - Im embarassed and feel like we have to return with our tail between our legs but I know its the only decision.

Im really looking for others who 'ping-ponged' moved back to the country you emigrated to again and how you approached work. I had an extremely good job with a big company where I have worked 17 years and I got a relocation package and the thought of dealing with talking to work about whether I can move back fills me with dread. I think they are going to think im flakey but I have to do whats right for me and my family.

Talk about life lessons!
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two months back and huge mistake - help!

Hey, it happens. My cousins emmigrated to Australia but got the itch to come home and be closer to family after they'd had twins. After six months they went back to Oz. Don't beat yourself up about it.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevo78x
All - so we moved back to the UK after nearly 6 years in Canada. My husband is Canadian but lived in the UK for 8 yrs before we left.... we thought we wanted to return to the UK to be closer to family after having a child but it was clearly a huge mistake. We never missed living in the UK, never missed the UK when we came back on vacation and we completely overlooked this when we decided to move back. We sold ourselves on all the plus points of the UK but we got carried away and now we are back its just wrong! I know many will think we need to give it time - but its not like we havent lived here before... we know what its like and we loved Canada... so thank you but not looking for advice on how to make it work here. We have decided we are going back to Canada - its the how I need help with.

I feel like there is an actual hole in my heart and cant believe I made this mistake - Im embarassed and feel like we have to return with our tail between our legs but I know its the only decision.

Im really looking for others who 'ping-ponged' moved back to the country you emigrated to again and how you approached work. I had an extremely good job with a big company where I have worked 17 years and I got a relocation package and the thought of dealing with talking to work about whether I can move back fills me with dread. I think they are going to think im flakey but I have to do whats right for me and my family.

Talk about life lessons!
Been there done that. Pride is an emotion which stops many people from making decisions. Just swallow it, be true to yourself. Its why it is always important to never burn bridges with professional relationships. If you were/are a good employee I am sure 'advocated' with the appropriate amount of rationality and humiilty that it will likely work in your favour. And anyway at this point what have you got to lose by trying? As I said only pride and that shouldn't ever stop you. Pride and integrity are two different things.

I returned and received 25% salary increase! It is still cheper to take a returning employee with 17 experience than hire a new one?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn’t hesitate to contact your old company, it’s nothing to be ashamed of, you moved back to the UK for the best of reasons and it turns out you made the wrong decision. It happens to the best of us.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Been there done that. Pride is an emotion which stops many people from making decisions. Just swallow it, be true to yourself. Its why it is always important to never burn bridges with professional relationships. If you were/are a good employee I am sure 'advocated' with the appropriate amount of rationality and humiilty that it will likely work in your favour. And anyway at this point what have you got to lose by trying? As I said only pride and that shouldn't ever stop you. Pride and integrity are two different things.

I returned and received 25% salary increase! It is still cheper to take a returning employee with 17 experience than hire a new one?
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I shouldn’t hesitate to contact your old company, it’s nothing to be ashamed of, you moved back to the UK for the best of reasons and it turns out you made the wrong decision. It happens to the best of us.