The Real NHS

Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Nice legs Dunrovin
for a fast recovery.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Dunroving,

Hope you have a speedy recovery and that you will be on the WHW this year. Hopefully you can find something of interest on "catch up TV" to keep you occupied or just get caught up on reading all the books that you haven't got around to yet. Will you be off work for long?
I have a 6-week sick note and plan to use every day of it (it actually runs to December 27th, I think).

I have downloaded several books to my Kindle. The day of my surgery, I read almost all of a 250-page book (a real/hard copy book) while I waited 9 hrs for my surgery - and finished the last 3 chapters when I got back to the ward! I still can't believe that I had surgery for 90 minutes, and 30 minutes later I had a 3-course meal and finished reading a book - the wonders of modern medicine.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Nice legs Dunrovin
for a fast recovery.
My grandmother used to describe them as "sparrow's kneecaps". It psychologically scarred me for life.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:30 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have a 6-week sick note and plan to use every day of it (it actually runs to December 27th, I think).

I have downloaded several books to my Kindle. The day of my surgery, I read almost all of a 250-page book (a real/hard copy book) while I waited 9 hrs for my surgery - and finished the last 3 chapters when I got back to the ward! I still can't believe that I had surgery for 90 minutes, and 30 minutes later I had a 3-course meal and finished reading a book - the wonders of modern medicine.
That is amazing. I remember having surgery (years ago) and waking up feeling very queasy, to put it politely. My mum came to visit me in the evening and brought me a Yorkie Bar, along with other goodies that made me feel even worse and that was just looking at the stash.

How do you like your Kindle? My things just arrived from Canada the other day and I think the books were breeding whilst at sea. Not sure what I will do with all of them, but I think it may be time to get a Kindle. I do have an iPad, but I think the Kindle seems to be a better choice for ebooks.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread so back to the NHS. I wanted to send you some grapes, but could only find them in the liquid form, enjoy!
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

Hi Dunroving

Or is it duncreaking

I read this thread too late, but can attempt to answer some of your questions! I am a nurse (currently working within opthalmology). Past areas of work....ortho, day of surgery admissions ward, theatres.

a) Surgical lists. You can tell a patient first thing in the morning they are last on the list...only to find the surgeon changes the list order and they are now first. Mean time my patient has escaped off to the smoking area/shopping concourse/or just escaped off the ward for a break. I'm frantically looking for my escapee only to find surgeon has waited all of two minutes...and allocates slot to number 3 on the list. Escapee beats me back to the ward (dodgy knee and all) and then I get in the neck for someone else getting the slot . The only thing useful about a theatre list is it narrows down who is having (hopefully) surgery that day and what they're having...aside from that its not really a list. I did explain to my patients where they were on the list in the morning but it was subject to change....and I was the one who always coped it! The other nurses stayed silent..... never telling..... never getting ear bashed!

b) my patients were told what meds were prescribed and why. Don't understand the rationale for not informing you and other patients at that hospital.

c) advising patients of earplugs and eyeshades. Thats something my hospital could benefit from. But we are good ...night time policy is no radio, minimal lighting at the nurses station etc.

d) our patients get info sheets on pre admission. Wish the majority of them would read it

and finally!...." I was dismayed at the lack of ownership most of the patients took for their rehabilitation.... most people seemed to just lie around or sit around all day". Pyjama syndrome. Well known affliction. Take one capable mostly able bodied person, stick on some PJs, and they suddenly become helpless...waiting to be told what to do, or shown what to do...or if they wait it out long enough, hopefully someone will come along and do it for em.

If they were my patients they would have a long wait! I'm like Matron Hattie....one look and your up and out of that bed

Good luck in your recovery. Follow the physios rules ..ahem guideance. Eat lots of protein/calcium and vit D. And remember...stick first leg second !!

BB
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brightonbelle
Hi Dunroving

Or is it duncreaking

I read this thread too late, but can attempt to answer some of your questions! I am a nurse (currently working within opthalmology). Past areas of work....ortho, day of surgery admissions ward, theatres.

a) Surgical lists. You can tell a patient first thing in the morning they are last on the list...only to find the surgeon changes the list order and they are now first. Mean time my patient has escaped off to the smoking area/shopping concourse/or just escaped off the ward for a break. I'm frantically looking for my escapee only to find surgeon has waited all of two minutes...and allocates slot to number 3 on the list. Escapee beats me back to the ward (dodgy knee and all) and then I get in the neck for someone else getting the slot . The only thing useful about a theatre list is it narrows down who is having (hopefully) surgery that day and what they're having...aside from that its not really a list. I did explain to my patients where they were on the list in the morning but it was subject to change....and I was the one who always coped it! The other nurses stayed silent..... never telling..... never getting ear bashed!

b) my patients were told what meds were prescribed and why. Don't understand the rationale for not informing you and other patients at that hospital.

c) advising patients of earplugs and eyeshades. Thats something my hospital could benefit from. But we are good ...night time policy is no radio, minimal lighting at the nurses station etc.

d) our patients get info sheets on pre admission. Wish the majority of them would read it

and finally!...." I was dismayed at the lack of ownership most of the patients took for their rehabilitation.... most people seemed to just lie around or sit around all day". Pyjama syndrome. Well known affliction. Take one capable mostly able bodied person, stick on some PJs, and they suddenly become helpless...waiting to be told what to do, or shown what to do...or if they wait it out long enough, hopefully someone will come along and do it for em.

If they were my patients they would have a long wait! I'm like Matron Hattie....one look and your up and out of that bed

Good luck in your recovery. Follow the physios rules ..ahem guideance. Eat lots of protein/calcium and vit D. And remember...stick first leg second !!

BB
Wow, Great insight, it all sounds credible to me.

Pyjama syndrome thats made sense too, Id be scared my bottoms would fall off as I walk around, no biggy hahahaaa.

Loved your reply Belle, it helps us understand, thanks for posting...
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:54 pm
Ping-ponger

Just watching "Real Rescues" on telly (I'm a sucker for fly on the wall programmes that follow emergency services, as I think they do a great job).

The last case was a teenage girl who had been thrown off her horse and broken her collarbone. She was dragged along by the horse, so the rescue services were worried she might have damaged her neck or spine. The stupid girl wasn't wearing a helmet and it turned out this was the fourth time she had ended up in the emergency room in six weeks.

In the post-rescue interview, it turned out she had another riding accident and ended up in the ER two days before the interview. She and her mum were bragging about how many bones the two of them had broken riding horses, and her dad, over the years.

A flippant remark was made about her riding hobby being subsidized by the NHS. This sort of thing ticks me off. The girl and her parents all need a good slap - and send them a bill for all the ER treatment.

In these days of austerity, we can't afford to subsidize people's stupidity.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just watching "Real Rescues" on telly (I'm a sucker for fly on the wall programmes that follow emergency services, as I think they do a great job).

The last case was a teenage girl who had been thrown off her horse and broken her collarbone. She was dragged along by the horse, so the rescue services were worried she might have damaged her neck or spine. The stupid girl wasn't wearing a helmet and it turned out this was the fourth time she had ended up in the emergency room in six weeks.

In the post-rescue interview, it turned out she had another riding accident and ended up in the ER two days before the interview. She and her mum were bragging about how many bones the two of them had broken riding horses, and her dad, over the years.

A flippant remark was made about her riding hobby being subsidized by the NHS. This sort of thing ticks me off. The girl and her parents all need a good slap - and send them a bill for all the ER treatment.

In these days of austerity, we can't afford to subsidize people's stupidity.
I'm with you Dunroving, these people are pathetic, wait till the daughter breaks her neck, then she will be bragging, No Helmet, it just shows how smart they really are.

Keep watching that show, you might just see these morons again...
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:29 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

The guy in charge of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs , Dr. Nutt, got sacked for saying that horse riding was more dangerous than taking ecstasy.
"In January 2009 he published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology an editorial ('Equasy – An overlooked addiction with implications for the current debate on drug harms') in which the risks associated with horse riding (1 serious adverse event every ~350 exposures) were compared to those of taking ecstasy (1 serious adverse event every ~10,000 exposures)."

Silly man, trying to bring reason into the discussion of illegal drugs! But it was a voluntary unpaid position, so he simply formed The Independent Scientific Committee on Drugshttp://www.drugscience.org.uk/

Bev
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow, Great insight.....loved your reply Belle, it helps us understand, thanks for posting...
awww thanks back atcha, its nice to be appreciated

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Id be scared my bottoms would fall off as I walk around, no biggy hahahaaa

Now now, no need to put your self down!!!

BB
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: The Real NHS

Thought I'd just share this with you:

I've just got home from a visit to a doctor's in Zug, central Switzerland. I have a nasty bout of tonsilitis (aka 'strep throat) as have had a fever for the past 21/2 days and came out in a huge rash from my face, chest and back today and generally feel awful.

I was a bit loathe to visit a doctor as apparently in Switzerland they rarely give out antibiotics and I thought it might just be a virus; it's snowing heavily today and I didn't fancy going to a surgery to be told it was just a virus and nothing they could do.

Anyway, the doctor said that from the lab test result (they took some blood and did a throat swab) it is a very severe infection; I'm not sure what the reading was from but he said that the 'normal' reading should be less than 5, a serious infection is 30+....my reading today was 101..!

He gave me some antibiotics and ibuprofen (pain killer/anti-inflammatory).

I'm with BUPA International insurance which gives worldwide coverage. Unless it's for hospital admissions or in the USA, one normally pays the medical bills on the spot and then claim re-imbursement from BUPA Int. less 10% for admin (although they will pay in any currency of choice) and I did speak to one of their SOS doctors in London this morning (they called me after I did a webchat with them) and she urged me to see a doctor today, so their service is very good.

The bill came to CHF 248.65 or 167.25 GB Pounds which included a course of 6 days of antibiotics CHF 41.35 and 20 Ibuprofen @ CHF7.95)...

Now I must admit that the fee would probably be similar in the USA, but I honestly think that UK residents whom have not lived overseas or had a medical claim during their overseas holidays have absolutely no idea just how good they have it with the NHS. (I loved the NHS tribute during the Olympic London 2012 Opening ceremony ).
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you feel better soon and I absolutely agree with you that most Brits just have no idea how good they have it. I do laugh when I see some 'survey' telling us that shock horror 93% of Brits want to move abroad and one of the reasons I have seen is the health service They really have no idea.
My wife has an ongoing issue with her neck, a nerve problem. She had it operated on in Brisbane but it didnt work and is now looking at getting treatment here, she has an MRI on Wednesday and that appointment took just under 5 weeks to come through. We were very pleasantly surprised by this as it took much longer in Australia and judging by what some would have us believe everything takes 6 months here.
My point is it seems to be a perception rather than the reality of the situation. Unfortunately many Brits prefer to see the negative at all costs, a trait that I really dislike because if they look at the facts their attitude would be very different.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 3:37 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I'm joining this discussion late, so apologies if this has already been asked.

I am presuming that, like with education and schools, there are differences in the quality and range of NHS care around the country (the country being England rather than GB).

Is there any way of finding out the best and worst areas - obviously planning for old age!
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
I hope you feel better soon and I absolutely agree with you that most Brits just have no idea how good they have it. I do laugh when I see some 'survey' telling us that shock horror 93% of Brits want to move abroad and one of the reasons I have seen is the health service They really have no idea.My wife has an ongoing issue with her neck, a nerve problem. She had it operated on in Brisbane but it didnt work and is now looking at getting treatment here, she has an MRI on Wednesday and that appointment took just under 5 weeks to come through. We were very pleasantly surprised by this as it took much longer in Australia and judging by what some would have us believe everything takes 6 months here.
My point is it seems to be a perception rather than the reality of the situation. Unfortunately many Brits prefer to see the negative at all costs, a trait that I really dislike because if they look at the facts their attitude would be very different.
If it was the price of Homes, Fuel, Meat or Beer I could understand it, I try to get thru to them but its like they are living on another planet, I think the 93% should give it a try, Id gladly trade places with them.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I'm joining this discussion late, so apologies if this has already been asked.

I am presuming that, like with education and schools, there are differences in the quality and range of NHS care around the country (the country being England rather than GB).

Is there any way of finding out the best and worst areas - obviously planning for old age!
I was going to ask a similar question. I keep reading about something called 'The Postcode Lottery" which I don't fully understand. There was even a three part TV documentary on the subject that I've yet to see.

Is it an offical policy, or just a phrase dreamt up by the media?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.