The Real NHS

Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:54 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by nun
Whatever the NHS is, its better than a US system where people without insurance won't go to the doctor until they have stage 4 cancer......in the second article the author points out that in the UK or Canada his friend could be alive today because he would have been treated earlier.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/op...take.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/op...ion.html?_r=1&
Always good to look at statistics.

http://www.pop.org/content/cancer-su...eat-britain-us
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Very interesting.....thanks
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:20 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the NHS does badly in cancer survival when compared to other developed nations. This is probably because of later screening norms in the UK. The early screening and detection of many cancers in the US also inflates the 5 years survival statistics, but cancer treatment is an area where the NHS needs to improve because they are worse than in many EU countries that have similar screening regimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7510121.stm

Unfortunately the excellent survival rates for the insured in the US are not seen in the uninsured population. So it's probably better to say that if the guy in the NYT piece had lived in the UK, or had been insurance in the US, he would probably be alive today. The difficulty in access to healthcare for many is the big problem with the US system, not the standard of care if you can afford it.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/can...d-conclusions/

Last edited by nun; Oct 19th 2012 at 3:27 am.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, the Population Research Institute; "the country's largest and most influential right-wing foundation"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populat...arch_Institute
Grinding their axe a bit??
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Ah yes, the Population Research Institute; "the country's largest and most influential right-wing foundation"
They do have a certain point of view, so the statistics they quote need to be researched rather than taken at face value. The early screening for cancer in the US is probably a good thing, although some studies say that unnecessary treatments actually produce worse outcomes, but it inflates the survival statistics which is why the US numbers looks so good when compared to the UK. However, the US does provide excellent treatment to those with insurance and also to those without insurance when the eventually get care....they'll also probably become bankrupt. But he UK certainly needs to improve as when compared to systems where the age distribution of cancer patients is similar, the UK is still way down the table.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

37 pages, woohoo
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
37 pages, woohoo
NHS in the title of a thread? Guaranteed to go around the houses and back again several times..!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

NHS in the title of a thread? Guaranteed to go around the houses and back again several times..!
And up the road, round and round the roundabout and down the pub more than once I would say.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by chris955
And up the road, round and round the roundabout and down the pub more than once I would say.
Now you're talking. On that subject, they used to give you a bottle of Mackeson each day in hospital in England.. can't see that happening in a US hospital.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 5:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Now you're talking. On that subject, they used to give you a bottle of Mackeson each day in hospital in England.. can't see that happening in a US hospital.
And a Guinness after giving blood. I went to donate with a friend and it turned out I wasn't allowed (I think it was because I was taking hay fever medication), but they gave me a Guinness anyway. Now THAT'S what I call world-class medical care!

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 19th 2012 at 5:30 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 5:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by dunroving
And a Guinness after giving blood. I went to donate with a friend and it turned out I wasn't allowed (I think it was because I was taking hay fever medication), but they gave me a Guinness anyway. Now THAT'S what I call world-class medical care!
That's a point; if I came back to live in the UK again, I'd be allowed to donate blood! As someone who lived in the UK during the 1980s, they don't want my blood over here..
Old Oct 19th 2012, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

A lot, I'd say. The reality is that many die of cancer in the US and don't even figure in those statistics because they don't seek treatment until they are dying and visit an emergency room. Plus, as one of nun's links points out, earlier detection - which will boost five year survival rates - doesn't necessarily mean better outcomes.

That's not to defend the NHS though:- it does a very poor job in this regard compared to most other western nations. The figures for countries like France and Switzerland - both of which have almost universal healthcare - are significantly better.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 19th 2012 at 5:48 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 11:59 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I had a little poke around the statistics quoted, because a 98% 5 year survival rate for breast cancer in the US isn't believable.

As best I could tell from official US statistics, that figure is for very early detection, and that's credible. The UK figure quoted in comparison is for all breast cancers.

Therefore, I don't believe any of the above stats.

I'm not sure why anyone's criticizing early detection in the UK. Mammograms are offered to all women over a certain age. Not sure what it is right now. Also cervical screening for all women. Have blood in a bowel movement and you'll get a colonoscopy, and the GP can request it within 2 weeks if they see urgency. Lose weight, become anemic, the GP will order tests. I gather doctors are always wanting to check men's prostates. What else should be done?

Bev

Last edited by Bevm; Oct 20th 2012 at 12:04 pm. Reason: add
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Bevm
I had a little poke around the statistics quoted, because a 98% 5 year survival rate for breast cancer in the US isn't believable.

As best I could tell from official US statistics, that figure is for very early detection, and that's credible. The UK figure quoted in comparison is for all breast cancers.

I'm not sure why anyone's criticizing early detection in the UK. Mammograms are offered to all women over a certain age. Not sure what it is right now. Also cervical screening for all women. Have blood in a bowel movement and you'll get a colonoscopy, and the GP can request it within 2 weeks if they see urgency. Lose weight, become anemic, the GP will order tests. I gather doctors are always wanting to check men's prostates. What else should be done?

Bev
Yeah Mallory will be back with a closely reasoned temperate answer soon.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
I'm not sure doctors actually want to check men's prostates. Except the really weird ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.