The Real NHS

Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just watched a segment of the One Show about the number of people who walk into A&E for routine treatment like sore throats, coughs and colds, aching back, etc. Apparently the cost of treating people in A&E for routine conditions is a lot higher than in a GP surgery. They itemized some of the charges, including £56 initial cost of triaging all patients.

It's a shame that people take the NHS for granted in this way - I liked their idea of presenting people with an itemized bill when they leave A&E, just to increase awareness of the cost and make people think twice and maybe make an appointment with their GP instead.

I was surprised to see that an ambulance trip was something like £250 - I'm sore you could probably add a zero to this if it was in the US!
I think my daughter's three mile ambulance trip was something like $1500.

One thing my employer is doing is instituting a $200 deductible for emergency room visits other than if there is "an immediate threat to life or limb". Of course the devil will be in the details, but they did a breakdown of emergency room visits and found the most common reason was for "flu-like symptoms". This amazes me given we're talking about people with great insurance and presumably are generally reasonably intelligent.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched a segment of the One Show about the number of people who walk into A&E for routine treatment like sore throats, coughs and colds, aching back, etc. Apparently the cost of treating people in A&E for routine conditions is a lot higher than in a GP surgery. They itemized some of the charges, including £56 initial cost of triaging all patients.

It's a shame that people take the NHS for granted in this way - I liked their idea of presenting people with an itemized bill when they leave A&E, just to increase awareness of the cost and make people think twice and maybe make an appointment with their GP instead.

I was surprised to see that an ambulance trip was something like £250 - I'm sore you could probably add a zero to this if it was in the US!
It doesnt surprise me, the problem in America is that most people without health Insurance finish up in the A&E (ER) where costs are far higher.

Im surprised Brits finish up in the A&E for flu etc, pretty sad.

I dont know the cost of an ambulance ride but it cant be cheap, I buy separate Insurance for that.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
It doesnt surprise me, the problem in America is that most people without health Insurance finish up in the A&E (ER) where costs are far higher.

I dont know the cost of an ambulance ride but it cant be cheap, I buy separate Insurance for that.
I don't think they finish up there so much as start off there. They couldn't be bothered making an appointment at the GP and see A&E a bit like a one stop shop (almost like a fast food mentality). They play 999 calls on telly sometimes and it's equally puzzling why people would call a life and death emergency number because "the kebab man won''t give me the kebab I paid for" (I kid you not).
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

They play 999 calls on telly sometimes and it's equally puzzling why people would call a life and death emergency number because "the kebab man won''t give me the kebab I paid for" (I kid you not).
You mean like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0p6QVBqAXA
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Funny in a sad sorta way.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

"What are we protecting you from - a wrong cheeseburger?"

Priceless - what a numpty.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they finish up there so much as start off there. They couldn't be bothered making an appointment at the GP and see A&E a bit like a one stop shop (almost like a fast food mentality). They play 999 calls on telly sometimes and it's equally puzzling why people would call a life and death emergency number because "the kebab man won''t give me the kebab I paid for" (I kid you not).
Oh Yes in the UK I agree, they just dont care or think, its an attitude problem, I suppose some may figure they pay for it in there taxes so its their choice, but in US a GP expects payment where as hospitals have to see you wether or not you can afford to pay, What a system.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I have twice been taken by ambulance to the ER before I was on Medicare within the past ten years and was never asked for insurance information which we had and I was never billed either.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I remember that, What a moron, this is the wonderful age we live in.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh Yes in the UK I agree, they just dont care or think, its an attitude problem, I suppose some may figure they pay for it in there taxes so its their choice, but in US a GP expects payment where as hospitals have to see you wether or not you can afford to pay, What a system.
More specifically, an emergency room has to "medically stabilize" you. They aren't obliged to do anything else. And they will bill you. Of course, many of these bills go unpaid and the costs are then dumped on those that can pay either through insurance or otherwise.

And of course we just had a clown of a presidential candidate who actually seems ok with this:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012...oom/?mobile=nc

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 7th 2012 at 3:35 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I have twice been taken by ambulance to the ER before I was on Medicare within the past ten years and was never asked for insurance information which we had and I was never billed either.
That is truly amazing as ambulance rides are not free.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:28 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

The question is, where is someone to go if they have worrying symptoms in the evening or on weekends? Not talking a runny nose, but a high temperature, severe nausea, a swelling infected wound etc etc

In Canada there are a lot of walk in clinics, and some are 24 hours. These serve instead of a visit to A&E and presumably are a lot cheaper.

Unfortunately there's also a shortage of GPs in Canada, so many people use the clinics as their regular doctor, but that probably makes them financially viable.

If group surgeries were required to provide walk-in cover after hours, even a couple of evenings a week, it could be a huge saving for the NHS, even with paying the doctor and nurse who are there. If it was set up right, in any hospital's catchment area there could be a number of such clinics.

Another point. I do find people who've lived in the UK all their life seem to have been trained to consult a doctor over everything. Thinking of taking some extra Vitamin C. Go and talk to the doctor about it in case you poison yourself. Don't disinfect and bandage that wound yourself. Be safe -- get to the doctor, or the A&E. Am I right on that, or are my family and friends weird?

Bev
Old Dec 11th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
The question is, where is someone to go if they have worrying symptoms in the evening or on weekends? Not talking a runny nose, but a high temperature, severe nausea, a swelling infected wound etc etc

In Canada there are a lot of walk in clinics, and some are 24 hours. These serve instead of a visit to A&E and presumably are a lot cheaper.

Unfortunately there's also a shortage of GPs in Canada, so many people use the clinics as their regular doctor, but that probably makes them financially viable.

If group surgeries were required to provide walk-in cover after hours, even a couple of evenings a week, it could be a huge saving for the NHS, even with paying the doctor and nurse who are there. If it was set up right, in any hospital's catchment area there could be a number of such clinics.

Another point. I do find people who've lived in the UK all their life seem to have been trained to consult a doctor over everything. Thinking of taking some extra Vitamin C. Go and talk to the doctor about it in case you poison yourself. Don't disinfect and bandage that wound yourself. Be safe -- get to the doctor, or the A&E. Am I right on that, or are my family and friends weird?

Bev
You are 100% right about that! My Daughter in law, goes to the A&E so often I am sure they have a designated parking place for her! Her kids are always there and on antibiotics. She would rather go to doctors than use her common sense. I think NHS should charge a small fee for doctor's visit, say 5pounds with those on low income and pensioners going free!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:42 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
For "out of hours" problems you have NHS 24. I recently experienced this (had a very pressing and unpleasant health problem) and have to say based on my experience it was very unsatisfactory. From my experiences over the past 4 weeks I get an impression of a system (NHS) that is just not "joined up"". There is a serious lack of communication between patient and doctors/nurses/health care providers and between different parts of the system. When I got out of surgery(which was excellent) I had NO information on what to do next - I was very much left on my own. I was on 7 different medications with unclear prescriptions and no clues who I should contact if I had problems, Consequently I have had a serious problem lasting 3 days and still ongoing (that's why II haven't been on here in a few days). Have to say that the doctor called out to my house at 10 pm Tuesday (after 5 calls to NHS 24) was a complete bastard and should be struck off.

Edited to add that yes, if you have transport and are mobile you can go to A&E, but if you are stuck in the house and/or completely unable to move (as I was, for 14 hours), you are at the mercy of people responding to phone calls.

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 12th 2012 at 12:48 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I live less than a mile from ER and I was charged more than $700 so maybe they charged me for your ride also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.