Reload this Page >

Advice needed for move to England from US

Advice needed for move to England from US

Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

A Bit Cheeky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed for move to England from US

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Generally speaking, the cost of housing is related to the distance from London, so if you aren't dependent on access to London, you may want to focus on areas that are not reasonably commutable to London - and yes, San Diego Girl is right, Guildford is lovely, but it is almost a suburb of London - for a while I did a reverse commute from Kingston in SW London, to near Guildford, and it's only about a 20 minute drive, and even less on the train, so there is a reason why the area is known as the stockbroker belt, and affordable it is not!

I would say, if looking for somewhere away from London I would look across the cities of northern England - Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, or the many satellite cities - Wigan, Preston, Huddersfield, Doncaster, York, Harrogate, etc. All of the larger cities, and most of the smaller ones are going to have a range of areas from ones where you might dream of being able to afford, to ones that are, so be blunt, run down and dangerous, but there are going to be many areas that are comfortable middle class suburbs with medical services, vets, local supermarkets (groceries) and good public transport to the city center for shopping and entertainment.

My family is actually from Sheffield, and it has some great areas, though I left there a long time ago, but although in the UK it has a reputation as a northern steel town, in fact there are some very expensive areas, and lots of middle ground suburbs - we lived in the SW of the city, just a few miles from the Peak District National Park.
Can you tell me the names of some of the middle ground suburbs to look at?
Old Feb 27th 2023, 10:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Bit Cheeky
Good information. Just the kind of details I'm looking for.
Bungalows are likely to be a bit of rarity given the general housing stock but this is indicative of what’s available and the price you might be paying if you go a bit further out.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130392698
Old Feb 28th 2023, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'm not retired, btw so Cornwall might not be for me right now. I'm from a suburb of a very large city so I don't think I'd be overwhelmed by a city there. I do however prefer a suburban kind of area and certainly not a rough one. I'm hoping to find a nice, safe, leafy place.
Never lived in that part of the UK but Ranmoor is rated highly and the whole area is leafy. It all comes at a cost though and properties aren't cheap.

Old Feb 28th 2023, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me the names of some of the middle ground suburbs to look at?
The areas I remember best are west and SW of Woodseats, which is the edge of "urban", with terraced (row) housing. We lived off Abbeydale Rd, but Ecclesall Rd also goes through some nice areas, and both roads go out towards Dore and Totley. You only have to look at a map to see there are a lot of parks and other green areas around there, not at all what people would expect from an industrial/ steel town. If I were to go back, those are the areas I would be looking.

Or if those areas are still too urban, which I think is unlikely, you could go just a couple of miles south to Dronfield, where my parents owned their first home - it's in the next county (Derbyshire), but is a de facto suburb of Sheffield. Fun fact: Rick Allen's, drummer of Def Leppard, parents used to live there, before Def Leppard got massive.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Fun fact: Rick Allen's, drummer of Def Leppard, parents used to live there, before Def Leppard got massive.
Speaking about Def Leppard, they still seem pretty down to earth and a work colleague once met Joe Elliot in the pub. He still lives in Stepaside just outside Dublin, which did surprise me.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Bungalows are likely to be a bit of rarity given the general housing stock but this is indicative of what’s available and the price you might be paying if you go a bit further out.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130392698
Wow. This is very nice home!
Old Feb 28th 2023, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Never lived in that part of the UK but Ranmoor is rated highly and the whole area is leafy. It all comes at a cost though and properties aren't cheap.

These streets look nice. I'll search for houses in that area. Thanks.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

The areas I remember best are west and SW of Woodseats, which is the edge of "urban", with terraced (row) housing. We lived off Abbeydale Rd, but Ecclesall Rd also goes through some nice areas, and both roads go out towards Dore and Totley. You only have to look at a map to see there are a lot of parks and other green areas around there, not at all what people would expect from an industrial/ steel town. If I were to go back, those are the areas I would be looking.

Or if those areas are still too urban, which I think is unlikely, you could go just a couple of miles south to Dronfield, where my parents owned their first home - it's in the next county (Derbyshire), but is a de facto suburb of Sheffield. Fun fact: Rick Allen's, drummer of Def Leppard, parents used to live there, before Def Leppard got massive.
I'll have a look at these areas. Thank you!
Old Feb 28th 2023, 8:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have a look at these areas. Thank you!
Fulwood is usually considered the one of the poshest areas so may be worth checking as well to see what is available in your budget.
Old May 10th 2024, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Advice needed for move to England from US

Here I am again, over a year after starting this thread, still in the US. A lot has happened since, and I now really want to go in the next 2 months.
My little older dog passed away and I now have a small puppy.
Please help me decide where to move.
I have been trying to decide where to move for literally years.
I have dual citizenship US and Irish. Never been out of the US. 70 years old, alone except for my little dog. I'll be moving alone and not going to anyone, wanting to start a new chapter, getting involved with community and having many of the things I have here in a suburb of Chicago-shopping, medical care, vet, good roads.
I want to rent a house - bungalow, one level in a good area. I work independently and remotely so I need good internet.
Healthcare is important and good ambulance service just in case.
I'm not visiting first, just getting off a plane and going to the place I rent beforehand.
Please give your best advice people...I have to decide and get on with it.
I've been looking into Cheshire.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 10th 2024, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but not going to happen within 2 months - even if you knew where you were going, renting somewhere would probably take a month or two.
Hopefully someone will come up with other suggestions for you.
Yes, Cheshire is nice.....
Notice that you said you were not retired.... so are you intending to work in the UK?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; May 10th 2024 at 9:22 am.
Old May 10th 2024, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Sorry, but not going to happen within 2 months - even if you knew where you were going, renting somewhere would probably take a month or two.
Hopefully someone will come up with other suggestions for you.
Yes, Cheshire is nice.....
Notice that you said you were not retired.... so are you intending to work in the UK?
Yes, I am an independent contractor working remotely.
Old May 10th 2024, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Why do you ask?
Old May 10th 2024, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you ask?

...only because if people have a job which could be 'area related; i.e tech/banking jobs which are usually more available nearer larger conurbations, then that has an influence on where they NEED to live.
Old May 10th 2024, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am an independent contractor working remotely.
Both my daughter and her partner have moved here (N Yorkshire) within the last couple of years and they each work remotely from home doing their IT jobs so it is very doable. She bought a house and he rents and I can confirm that finding a place to rent can be time consuming. What he did was Airbnb for a couple of months while he looked and found somewhere to rent for the long term.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.