Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Must be male!
Funny. I had obviously made that assumption too.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Because he's hard working and determined?
No.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I remember hearing stuff about not having kids when you are young, they tie you down, stop you travelling, doing things, use up all your money, drain the life out of, wait until you've done everything you want to do, and so on.
"You've done too much, much too young,
Now you're married with a kid, when you should be having fun
with me"

sang the Specials, while contemporaneously Squeeze lamented getting someone Up the Junction

"the Railway Arms went missing" they sobbed

Just two 1970s popular culture references to the wisdom of having children later in life.

There have always been lots of warnings not to have children too soon, more so than having them too late. What can you do though? Still people keep ****ing.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
"You've done too much, much too young,
Now you're married with a kid, when you should be having fun
with me"

sang the Specials,
And if you wait too long to have kids you could end up like this character in another Specials song:

He's just a stereotype
He drinks his age in pints
He has girls every night
But he doesn't really exist
He spends his weekends with a load of blokes
He forgets the punchline when he tells a joke
He wants to stay out, he don't want to go home
'Til his nicotine fingers are stuffed down his throat
Old Apr 20th 2018, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I remember hearing stuff about not having kids when you are young, they tie you down, stop you travelling, doing things, use up all your money, drain the life out of, wait until you've done everything you want to do, and so on.
They do all those things whatever age you have them. Who has done everything they want to do by their 30s? Or even 40s?

it might be true that people are having kids later, but that has come with plenty of publicity/ news reports/ studies published about the increased health risks, and decreasing fertility if you leave it till later in life. It must be just about impossible to claim to have been unaware.

I had my oldest, 20 years ago, at the age of 29 (far too young). My Mum had been telling me for at least a few years not to leave it too late.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 2:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
it might be true that people are having kids later, but that has come with plenty of publicity/ news reports/ studies published about the increased health risks, and decreasing fertility if you leave it till later in life...
Just to repeat a couple of parts of the research I linked to
...recent wide-ranging studies have found significant long-term benefits in waiting to have babies....found that women who had their last child after the age of 33 are more likely to live to 95. In fact, researchers reported that these women had twice the chance of living to 95 or older than those who had their last child before their 30th birthday....Researchers at the University of Southern California found that women have “better brainpower after menopause” if they had their last baby after age 35....Children born to older mothers stayed in the educational system longer, did better on standardized tests, and were more likely to go to college than their peers who were born to younger mothers.
It might be thought of as being different now.

And a bit in the link I didn't paste - "Advances in fertility technology, such as in vitro fertilization, egg freezing, frozen embryos, donor eggs and surrogates, also make it more feasible for women to wait to become mothers until the time is right for them."
Old Apr 20th 2018, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to repeat a couple of parts of the research I linked to

It might be thought of as being different now.

And a bit in the link I didn't paste - "Advances in fertility technology, such as in vitro fertilization, egg freezing, frozen embryos, donor eggs and surrogates, also make it more feasible for women to wait to become mothers until the time is right for them."
I cba to google atm but a couple of thoughts

- how much of the health/education benefits are due to the socio-economic groups more likely to leave pregnancy until later?
- health risks are not only to mothers but to babies, e.g. Down's
- I don't believe even the most money-grabbing fertility clinic would claim that any/all of the very expensive and onerous treatments available are a fail safe remedy for leaving it late. They have quite low success rates in a lot of cases.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 2:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I cba to google atm but a couple of thoughts....
All good points. I'm not arguing either way, just picking up the point made by Js about whether there's any encouragement to wait and there does appear to be some.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

All good points. I'm not arguing either way, just picking up the point made by Js about whether there's any encouragement to wait and there does appear to be some.
I agree. I'm hopeful that in high school there is definitely some encouragement to wait!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Because he's hard working and determined?
Funny but I’m afraid more because he can’t figure out what he’s doing wrong and won’t read the manual 🤣
Old Apr 20th 2018, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

They do all those things whatever age you have them. Who has done everything they want to do by their 30s? Or even 40s?

it might be true that people are having kids later, but that has come with plenty of publicity/ news reports/ studies published about the increased health risks, and decreasing fertility if you leave it till later in life. It must be just about impossible to claim to have been unaware.

I had my oldest, 20 years ago, at the age of 29 (far too young). My Mum had been telling me for at least a few years not to leave it too late.
My Mum kept saying that I should have my kids by the time I was 30. I was still thinking French then where women have their babies earlier (in those days anyway).
2 in my 20s and 2 in my 30s. So nearly made her happy.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:42 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Funny but I’m afraid more because he can’t figure out what he’s doing wrong and won’t read the manual 🤣
Manuals? They're like maps. For other people.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

This guy has been tap-tapping away st my downspout for the last two days. There is obviously no grip so he bounces backwards as he pecks, like one of those wind-up toys, until he reaches the bend. He falls/flies off, but comes back for another try a bit later.
It's a woodpecker. They do that to attract partners in the mating season.

We had one for a couple of years who used to hammer on the cover of the chimney to our gas fireplace.

He also used to watch until the wife's car came down the laneway on her way home from work, and didn't stop hammering until she got home and went outside to feed him.

He liked nachos.

Not very originally, we called him Woody
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
It's a woodpecker. They do that to attract partners in the mating season.

We had one for a couple of years who used to hammer on the cover of the chimney to our gas fireplace.

He also used to watch until the wife's car came down the laneway on her way home from work, and didn't stop hammering until she got home and went outside to feed him.

He liked nachos.

Not very originally, we called him Woody
I knew he was a woodpecker, we have a few types here but thanks for the reason he's doing it! We had speculated about some sort of territory signalling thing, but hadn't clicked it might be mating season. I'll buy him some nachos tomorrow!
Old Apr 21st 2018, 12:24 pm
Oscar nominated

We had speculated about some sort of territory signalling thing, but hadn't clicked it might be mating season. I'll buy him some nachos tomorrow!
It's hugely sped up morse code for I've got the Nachos, you bring the wine.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:32 pm
Oscar nominated

For anyone interested, today's ManU-Spurs cup semi final isn't only on the subscription Sportsnet World, it's on the main Fox channel too.

I had been expecting to stream from iPlayer, which I may still do, depending who's commentating for Fox and what version of English is used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.