Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:00 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to the UK - what a dump!

Originally Posted by JamesM
They also forgot to put their hoodies up!

I checked out the Star yesterday to find out what I had been missing.

Headline story was a young black male murdered in a drive by shooting on New Years Day just down the road in Scarborough.

All this gang land activity and misbehaving youth is turning Toronto into Vancouver.......
And there's me thinking that all the generizing was directed at the uk
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

I've just come back from my gym in downtown Edmonton. As usual, the downtown area seemed inhabited by miserable, lost looking people, lethargically shuffling around, like a scene from a zombie movie.

But, I guess Ontario is different.
Well parts of Ontario are different. Barrie is not one of them.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
It was much more difficult, granted not impossible. Grants made it extremely difficult for all but the most gifted to get in.....no the case here. I was sharing my experiences. Yes. I suspect the uk does bear at least some, blame given the crime ridden, poverty stricken hole I grew up in.....would have been tough to up and leave at 15

Canada is much more equal and fair from my point of view a far as post secondary education went.....
What you are touching on is something termed "social mobility" - the ability to move from one socioeconomic class to another. The UK has always had one of the lowest rates of social mobility in the developed world. This means that your chance of moving up the socioeconomic ladder is more closely linked to your (and your parents') background in the UK than in many other developed countries including Canada.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...r-nations.html

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jan 3rd 2012 at 4:15 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
In the 1980s only about 9% of school leavers attended university and the places were extremely rationed. And, if you were unfortunate to have to attend one those educational dustbins called secondary moderns your chances of being channeled into HE were very slim indeed. Of course the easy thing at that time was to blame the children instead of taking responsibility for their class ridden prejudice.
I guess I must have been one of the lucky ones - I went to a secondary school, but managed to get into uni in the late 1980's (1988 to be precise)... I suspect that getting really good A level grades had quite a lot to do with that.... And also selecting a less than popular degree course - I was one of only 3 people who graduated with my degree that year!

I didn't get a grant though - my dad earned too much. But my parents were far too skinflint to give me any money for the so called "living allowance" that the LEA said they should give me - while they did pay my hall fees in the first year, I was by myself for the most part - I got a job in the student union as a barmaid and supported myself. And after the first year, when I moved out of halls, I really was by myself as my parents didn't give me a penny. I was doing a 35 hour a week course and having to work virtually full time while living in one of the crappiest areas of Leeds (I couldn't afford to rent anywhere in the student areas around Leeds Uni). Things got a bit easier once I hooked up with Mr Chookie and he moved in with me as we could then share the rent and it meant that both of us could work part-time (he was in a similar situation - his parents gave him nothing and like me he didn't qualify for a grant)

As for how I feel about the UK.... I am in a very neutral position - I don't think it is as bad as some make out, but there is nothing that would induce me to ever go back even for a visit. Most of that is because I have no remaining family "over there", so no real incentive to go to visit. The few friends I have who have remained in touch I contact via "t'internet" and if they want to meet up in person they are more than welcome to come to stay for a while. I like where I live now, I have a pretty good life (better than we had in the UK tbh!), I changed career and went back to school here to train in a job that I love and am absolutely passionate about. life is good for us here. The UK gave me a lot, but my parents gave me jack-shit tbh... and I struggled for everything that the UK gave me.

And seeing that my parents are now dead and I have no family ties to the UK why would I ever consider going back even for a visit?

But it isn't the Chavs or the UK or anything else that puts me off visiting, it is the simple fact that I have now made my life over here, and there is nothing back there for me now... why waste money on going back?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

why waste money on going back?

To pick up cheap cheese, decent bacon, proper Cadbury chocolate bars, Walkers crisps etc etc etc that all the expats seem to miss
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
I don't think anyone is doing that. What I am simply saying, is remember what your original country or countries did for you. You don't say how you are able to make your move to Canada, for example, skilled worker route. I can only assume you must have got some skills and experience from somewhere in order to make the move, unless you are going via the spousal route. Perhaps you could let us know.
Actually my parents had to pay for me to go to a private school as the local state school was terrible. Because I came from a good background, I had to pay for much of my university education, my Ph.D. was funded by a pharmacetical company.

I have paid 40% tax and 10% NI for over a decade. I have taken part in valuable research, worked with the homeless etc. I OWE BRITAIN NOTHING.

FYI R I C H I have put your posts on my ignore list so won't be able to read them...you are just the kind of person that makes the internet tiresome at times <snip>

Last edited by TheBear; Jan 3rd 2012 at 10:19 am. Reason: Personal insult removed - pls re-read site rule no. 1
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
To be honest I don't really know what 'integration' entails? I think one can be pleasant and courteous to people without having to frequent Tim Horton's, drink crap beer and watch ice hockey.
What is it with Tim Horton's, are babies here weaned onto it or something?

To be honest I do want to integrate, and I think I am going to take a leaf out of YYZ lover's book and make a conscious effort to overcome my own cultural prejudices. I'm sure there are lots of Canadians I can be friends with and have a laugh with, I'm already finding a side to my work colleagues that I really like, which I wasn't noticing when I first arrived.

When I left the UK I was happy, and had pretty much always been happy, but I felt there was no future for me there (I got made redundant just before I left...I work in medical research, and most companies are pulling out of the UK because of lack of talent, also, in spite of a good income I couldn't afford a home). There were lots of things that I felt made life less than pleasant at times. My visit back re-enforced these feelings, and like another poster here said, once my parents are gone or have moved over here, I will have no reason to go back, I'd rather use my valuable holiday visiting new countries or going camping here.

I know Canada is not without it's faults, but on balance I find it easier to maintain a positive outlook here than in the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 10:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
I know Canada is not without it's faults, but on balance I find it easier to maintain a positive outlook here than in the UK.
And this in Barrie. Wait until you can afford to live somewhere nice!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

When I left the UK I was happy, and had pretty much always been happy, but I felt there was no future for me there (I got made redundant just before I left...I work in medical research, and most companies are pulling out of the UK because of lack of talent, also, in spite of a good income I couldn't afford a home).
A common complaint and one I hear a lot from UK expats I meet in North America. It was a factor in my own move from the UK. I simply couldn't afford to buy a decent house in an area I'd want to raise my kids in.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:09 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Just landed back from the UK 3 hours ago.

It was great catching up with family and friends and nice to watch thinking man's TV like Eastenders. I thought Pat Butcher was indestructible

It was good to go to decent supermarkets and do some proper shopping.

I did however miss the bar in my lobby somewhat.

On New Years Eve Eve (day before New Year). I found myself in an expensive bar in Mayfair. The Mojito's were being made by simply throwing all the ingredients in a glass, adding a spoon and a half of brown sugar and stirring it with a spoon. Unfortunately in an attempt to beat the happy hour promo deadline I ended up with four of the things.

I also got held up in London because someone had committed suicide on the train tracks apparently it is happening quite often at the mo.

I also squeezed in some trips to Birmingham and Bristol for some top nights out.

Mixed feelings about returning to Toronto but I enjoy my job and should make good cash this year. That combined with my amazing commute of a 10 minute walk each day will keep me ticking over.

I think the OP is still on their honey moon period. If some one told me I had to live in Barrie or head back to the UK I would've been landing at Heathrow before they got to the "or".

Spot on James. Did you get back to the Junction? Northcote Rd and St Johns Hill are like the Kings Rd.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
A common complaint and one I hear a lot from UK expats I meet in North America. It was a factor in my own move from the UK. I simply couldn't afford to buy a decent house in an area I'd want to raise my kids in.
Same here
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 12:24 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just landed back from the UK 3 hours ago.

It was great catching up with family and friends and nice to watch thinking man's TV like Eastenders. I thought Pat Butcher was indestructible

It was good to go to decent supermarkets and do some proper shopping.

I did however miss the bar in my lobby somewhat.

On New Years Eve Eve (day before New Year). I found myself in an expensive bar in Mayfair. The Mojito's were being made by simply throwing all the ingredients in a glass, adding a spoon and a half of brown sugar and stirring it with a spoon. Unfortunately in an attempt to beat the happy hour promo deadline I ended up with four of the things.

I also got held up in London because someone had committed suicide on the train tracks apparently it is happening quite often at the mo.

I also squeezed in some trips to Birmingham and Bristol for some top nights out.

Mixed feelings about returning to Toronto but I enjoy my job and should make good cash this year. That combined with my amazing commute of a 10 minute walk each day will keep me ticking over.

I think the OP is still on their honey moon period. If some one told me I had to live in Barrie or head back to the UK I would've been landing at Heathrow before they got to the "or".

I feel the same. Nights out in England are so much fun and always a great atmosphere!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:28 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually my parents had to pay for me to go to a private school as the local state school was terrible. Because I came from a good background, I had to pay for much of my university education, my Ph.D. was funded by a pharmacetical company.

I have paid 40% tax and 10% NI for over a decade. I have taken part in valuable research, worked with the homeless etc. I OWE BRITAIN NOTHING.

FYI R I C H I have put your posts on my ignore list so won't be able to read them...you are just the kind of person that makes the internet tiresome at times <snip>

I get it. You want to be able to say what you like, but, you dont want to hear anything you dont like.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Spot on James. Did you get back to the Junction? Northcote Rd and St Johns Hill are like the Kings Rd.
Sadly not.

I had a few pints at "The Hole in the Wall" by Waterloo and then over to Mayfair. Other than that I stupidly ventured onto Oxford Street which was pretty much a recreation of "the riots" during Boxing Day week!
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
I get it. You want to be able to say what you like, but, you dont want to hear anything you dont like.
Considering how many (not you) who slag people off for slating UK and telling them to shut it up, the term pot-kettle-black comes to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.