Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

micheal_efc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement - Malaysia, Thailand or Phillipines???

Originally Posted by suziewong62
Hi,

could you tell me if the £11,000 is per person or for a married couple. I would like to retire to Thailand with my husband. I am 12 years younger than him and not of retirement age. Any ideas?
recomend you go to thaivisa.com they will answer any question you want on the (los) thailand
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:48 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by micheal_efc
recomend you go to thaivisa.com they will answer any question you want on the (los) thailand
Errrr, Suziewong62's post was from November 2005 -3 years ago.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Errrr, Suziewong62's post was from November 2005 -3 years ago.
sorry never looked at date, just browsing. how patong getting on,i left after sumani, in chaing mai now.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by micheal_efc
sorry never looked at date, just browsing. how patong getting on,i left after sumani, in chaing mai now.
Patong would seem to be as dreadful as ever I hear - I never go near the awful place
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Patong would seem to be as dreadful as ever I hear - I never go near the awful place
its as good as that then: was never 100% on the place
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:12 am
Just Joined

vermont_tlb is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to visit the Philippines in the next couple of months. I plan to retire soon and need to make decisions on where would be good for me. I don't know anyone there and need some advice on ways to visit several locations. I have been reading past posts and tend to think that living in one of the provinces might be the way to go for a year or so. I could then visit a few cities and make some final decisions.
Then again, should I start in a city like Cebu, and venture out to visit the provinces. Any ideas from someone that lives there? I would like to ask if anyone has some advice. As for me I am single and in my late fifties.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:18 am
Banned

Ryantalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok lots of replies so i will add my view. i am 29 from the midlands near coventry and i have lived in Manila Philippines for 2 years now and i have friends from Malaysia and thailand and to be honest the advice to pick either over the PHilippines is very bad advice . here the medical care is excellent and the crime rate is actually very low compared to what you hear and read i have not experienced and i do not know anyone that has experienced crime here the standard of living is excellent you can live like a king and basically this is paradise for you to retire to so please think carefully befor you decide i would be happy to talk more indepth with you message me
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ryantalk
Ok lots of replies so i will add my view. i am 29 from the midlands near coventry and i have lived in Manila Philippines for 2 years now and i have friends from Malaysia and thailand and to be honest the advice to pick either over the PHilippines is very bad advice . here the medical care is excellent and the crime rate is actually very low compared to what you hear and read i have not experienced and i do not know anyone that has experienced crime here the standard of living is excellent you can live like a king and basically this is paradise for you to retire to so please think carefully befor you decide i would be happy to talk more indepth with you message me
Google is a wonderful tool, you know. If you put in Ryantalk 29 Manila, look see what you get
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:23 am
Banned

i dont get the joke there i googled Ryantalk 29 manila and got a listing for a post on the forum thats from me thats it ? strange person you are for that post but hey ho what ever floats your boat i suppose lol
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:29 am
Banned

ok i see it now whos the wise guy that put my details on something called sex date ?????:curse:
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 6:42 am
Banned

well i dont know who did that why some thing called sex date and 2 other damn pervert sites but must give that site credit i complained gave them all my details told them it needed to be removed and bingo they did it with in minutes either that or whoever put the thing on did it anyway come on guys what was the point in that
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Looks like you may have a friend with a weird sense of humour? In case you wondered why I was googling, I checked your profile to see what you do but no info.

Anyway.... back on topic.... sure you can give some advice to potential retirees to Philippines though at 29 you may have some different viewpoints to us "retirees" albeit some of us are young "retirees"

I think, as I've mentioned many times, all 3 countries on this thread have their merits, their good points and bad points. Re crime, there is crime in all 3 countries, as there is in pretty much all of the world. You just need to pick which place suits you.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

steve__C is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Chiang Mai Thailand.

It is cheaper than Malaysia (I can't comment on the Philippines) and the people are different in Thailand (due to their Buddhism maybe).

The downside is that few people speak good English and the Thai language is fairly challenging for westerners.

Here is some good information if you are interested to retire in Thailand.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve__C
I live in Chiang Mai Thailand.

It is cheaper than Malaysia (I can't comment on the Philippines) and the people are different in Thailand (due to their Buddhism maybe).

The downside is that few people speak good English and the Thai language is fairly challenging for westerners.

Here is some good information if you are interested to retire in Thailand.
Steve, what do you make of the climate/air quality in the North? There were reports some time back about bad air quality - was that an exaggerated report or is it a problem in Chiang Mai? Would that be a problem for potential retirees? Compared with southern Thailand (if you have been there) do you find the climate a lot better? I hear the evenings are much cooler in the North - which sounds rather nice
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:29 am
Just Joined

steve__C is an unknown quantity at this point

The air quality is pretty bad for a couple of months around March/April time during the 'burning season'. Everywhere smells like fire smoke and it does cause health problems. Chiang Mai is in a basin so the smoke just collects there and there is little wind to blow it away.

For the rest of the year it is cooler than the south. December, Jan and Feb are really nice if you are European - sunny and warm but cold enough for jumpers in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.